Dublin v Tyrone

Started by downredblack, December 13, 2006, 03:25:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy

Is this the GAA fondly imaginig it's fulfilling its remit of promoting 'Irish Culture'. Apart from the question of who wants to hear any music, saw-doctored or artane-banded at a football match, what are the selection criteria here?

Here's a little competition: place these performers in order of the authenticity of their representation of 'Irish Culture':
The Saw Doctors
Foster and Allen
The Artane marching-up-and-down-kids
Brush Shields

First prize - a free ticket to Johnny Carroll and His Golden Trumpet at the Slua MuirĂ­ Hall, Drumsnot, for one night only.

Second prize - you guessed it.

magpie seanie

The Saw Doctors are a huge step up from Brush Shields in fairness.

Josey Whales

Not mcuh consolation magpie - bit like saying Ronan Keating is a step up from Shane Lynch. Hallf hour delay i'd say.

tayto

Anyone like to hazard a guess at the starting 15 for Dublin? early doors yet but it's good to be getting these extra O'Byrne cup games under the ol'belt.

Hound

Full back: Will he stick with O'Shea or McConnell (assuming his suspesion is over) at 3 or bring back Cahill (who in his couple of appearances this year so far has played half back)? Corner backs should be Griffin and Henry.

Half back: You'd think at least one and maybe both of Casey and Goggins will retain their places to ensure we're able to match (and more) Tyrone if they start with the niggly stuff again. Presumably Colin Moran is considered an automatic starter given Pillar appointed him captain. Bryan Cullen was unanmiounsly considered Dublin's best half back last year. Barry Cahill has established himself as an automatic starter, so if he's not in the full back line, then he'll be in the half back line. Ger Brennan has apparently made a very successful start to his Dublin career at half back in the recent games. So 6 players worthy of a start, but only 3 places. So I've no idea what he'll end up doing. I think its very likely that at least one of them will start in the half forward line. Casey, Goggins and Cullen have all appeared in the HF line this year. I hope its not Cullen and I cant imagine the other two as forwards!!

Midfield: Straight choice between Darren Magee, Declan O'Mahoney and Shane Ryan. Pillar has never been afraid to drop or rest Shane so he could well give O'Mahoney his big chance and hold Shane in reserve. Or he could decide it would be best to wait for one week to do that and let Ryan loose on Tyrone. ??

Half forward: I think he'll go with a half back, Alan Brogan and either Lally or Bonner. My gut says he's goina give Lally a good run in the league at half forward (but I've no good reason to say that).

Full forward: Quinn and Vaughan are both injured at the moment, so are doubtful. Even if they get close to recovery by then, theyll have played no football and it would be a risk to play them so soon after injury, especially as I believe both have leg injuries that would presumably be put at further risk by taking frees. So perhaps 19 year old Dermot Connolly will be thrown right into the deep end, as both corner forward and free-taker. Sometimes you have to take a gamble when its the only option. Keaney will certainly play and help out with the free-taking. No sign of Jason this year, but Dotsie's performances so far means he merits a run of league starts. Bernard Brogan has missed out on getting a chance in the O'Byrne Cup because of his involvement with DCU, so I'd say it'll mean bench at best for him.

tayto

Agree about the half backs, we've a whole shed load of players whos best position is in te half back line, much as i'd prefer to see cullen at 6 the thought of casey or goggins in the forwards is not good.

I've yet to be really impressed with Lally for dublin, again i think he's a better half back, so maybe this should be his chance but i wouldnt have himself and bonner at the same time in the half forwards.

Agree that b brogan has probably losto ut due to playing for DCU, i'd really like to see him get a run in the corner during the league, like you say i'd hold connolly in reserve for now, the last thing he needs is a league debut against tyrone. Dotsy has to have a shot int he other corner.

Is whelan giving the league a miss or is that just rumour? Otherwise it's O'Mahoney and D.Magee i'd say, although surely Shane Ryan has to be involved.

Vaughan did in his shoulder in the Lucan match, i think that's what still has him out, heard his recovery was ahead of schedule so he should be back soon, but probably not in time for tyrone.

Whats the story with Jayo?

Star Spangler

QuoteCasey and Goggins will retain their places to ensure we're able to match (and more) Tyrone if they start with the niggly stuff again

Aw jayz, are yous going to start the "it was all Tyrone's fault" story again???  ::)

Gnevin

What about Collie Moran ?
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

tayto

Good point, i think Goggins could lose out to Moran, unless he's going to move Cullen again. 

Gnevin

I hope pillar names his strongest 15 ie Ryan starting for this match and then play about in Limerick ,as this match will be a big challenge where as Limerick should be easier and a match in which to blood new players , They don't really need to start in front of 65,000 + hype match
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

realredhandfan

Whats the stroy with car clamping at night lads? Will this be a factor?

Hound

No, not a factor. Unless you've a Northern reg.

Hound

Quote from: realredhandfan on January 17, 2007, 01:43:37 PM
Hard to tell in reality. I guess the chances are the same as a Sunday afternoon, but at least you've less chance of being clamped than if it was a Saturday afternoon. Pay and display ends at 7pm - but if you're parked illegally (e.g. on a path) there'll always be small risk that some miserable cant will try and ruin your evening.

Gnevin

Quote from: realredhandfan on January 17, 2007, 01:43:37 PM
Try not parking on the N1 that normally helps .  I recommend parking some where official as the clamper's will be out in force but most of the street parking finishs at 7 so you'd only need to put in a few euro

ziggysego

Any word if the Park and Ride bus service will be in place for the 2007 Championship?
Testing Accessibility