Oscars

Started by Niall Quinn, February 22, 2008, 06:55:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: SammyG on February 25, 2008, 04:58:44 PM
He was definitley born in London (and his ma's English), his da's from the RoI but moved to London and became Poet Laureate (so I'm guessing he's not a big Republican, in any sense of the word)

Daniel Day-Lewis's father is from Stradbally in Co.Laois no wonder Daniel is so succesfull  :)
You'll Never Walk Alone.

thejuice

Quote from: Louth Exile on February 25, 2008, 04:40:30 PM
(He was on the English side in Gangs of New York though)

was he not Italian in GONY??
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Louth Exile

Quote from: thejuice on February 25, 2008, 05:03:49 PM
Quote from: Louth Exile on February 25, 2008, 04:40:30 PM
(He was on the English side in Gangs of New York though)

was he not Italian in GONY??

Definitely not, if I remember right he called himself a native of New York, but would have been first or second generation english. He didn't like the Irish emigrants in it anyway!
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

Louth Exile

Did any of you watch the Oscars highlights last night?

Sky One cut out the cupla focal from Glen's speech  >:( No big surprise here, but I thought RTE could have done a better job (how naive was I) They didn't show any of Merketa's speech, or Jon Stewart talking afterwards. For those who are interested, check out this link

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=pe5ybN3eh-A
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

Declan

DDL is a major Millwall fan as well. Met him around the time of the Gangs of New York premiere in Dublin - A true gentleman and a great actor. He says himself that he is an Englishman but because of his upbringing and summer holidays here has a great connection and love for Ireland.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Declan on February 26, 2008, 02:02:57 PM
DDL is a major Millwall fan as well. Met him around the time of the Gangs of New York premiere in Dublin - A true gentleman and a great actor. He says himself that he is an Englishman but because of his upbringing and summer holidays here has a great connection and love for Ireland.

Fair play to him. At least he's honest. I'd much prefer someone who counts himself English to say he counts himself English, but likes Ireland, than pretend to be Irish.

The GAA

Anyone know if the oscars can be watched live anywhere?

leenie

the only t.v station showing the oscars tonight is sky premiere at 1 am
I'm trying to decide on a really meaningful message..

leenie

watching them now..... (guess who isn't working tomorrow)

so far great show... i am loving how humble the cast, crew and danny boyle is about the awards slumdog is getting! 

hating ur woman who is part of the commentary for sky... the one who seems to have a lot to say and is now acting in coronation street..(the one on the barge)   
I'm trying to decide on a really meaningful message..

Tyrones own

Slumdog cleaning up...!
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

Tony Baloney

Has anyone actually seen Milk and The Wrestler? Did Penn deserve it or is it another case of rewarding anyone playing a liberal activist. If he's gay all the better.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Tony Baloney on February 23, 2009, 12:16:06 PM
Has anyone actually seen Milk and The Wrestler? Did Penn deserve it or is it another case of rewarding anyone playing a liberal activist. If he's gay all the better.

Rourke won pretty much every acting award going right up to the Oscars and then Penn wins the Oscar. Didn't hurt that he was portraying a left-wing gay activist of course. Hollywood loves that sort of thing nearly as much as a good holocaust movie.

Schkite

Rourke did win most of the awards leading up to the Oscars, but crucially Penn won the SAG best actor award(Screen Actors Guild), which is apparently more of a sign of who willl win the Oscar than the Golden Globes, as it's voted for by most of the same people that votes for the Oscars. Still a big shock that Rourke didn't win though.

Derry Dolly

Quote from: Schkite on February 23, 2009, 12:55:41 PM
Rourke did win most of the awards leading up to the Oscars, but crucially Penn won the SAG best actor award(Screen Actors Guild), which is apparently more of a sign of who willl win the Oscar than the Golden Globes, as it's voted for by most of the same people that votes for the Oscars. Still a big shock that Rourke didn't win though.

supposed to be but streep won best actress at SAG and then winslet won the oscar so...didnt know who i wanted to win there!

tyroneboi

Did anyone else think that Slumdog Millionaire was slightly overrated? Thought it was good but not deserving of 8 Oscars in my opinion.