Oscars

Started by Niall Quinn, February 22, 2008, 06:55:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shamrock Shore

Quote from: Capt Pat on March 13, 2023, 07:29:42 AM
Banshees of Inisherin went home empty handed after receiving 9 nominations. It wasn't a great movie to be fair.

There was a touch of 'Emperor's New Clothes' about it. I thought it was pretty awful.

Tony Baloney

That big winner is one of the worst films I've watched in years, and when I say watched I mean about 45 mins of it.

AustinPowers

So who did  Will  smith slap  this year?

quit yo jibbajabba

Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 13, 2023, 09:32:30 AM
That big winner is one of the worst films I've watched in years, and when I say watched I mean about 45 mins of it.

Slow start brilliant endin i heard Tony ye may go again 😉

mouview

Quote from: Capt Pat on March 13, 2023, 07:29:42 AM
Banshees of Inisherin went home empty handed after receiving 9 nominations. It wasn't a great movie to be fair.

I found it hard to understand the fuss about it alright. A pretty slight movie about two friends who fall out. 'Three Billboards...' was much better than it I thought. That said, it was disappointing for most of our contingent to come home empty-handed. Momentum and late-runs count for a lot at the Oscars.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on March 13, 2023, 09:56:51 AM

The missus watched it so I didnt have to. She said it rubbish.

quit yo jibbajabba

Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 13, 2023, 10:03:07 AM
Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on March 13, 2023, 09:56:51 AM

The missus watched it so I didnt have to. She said it rubbish.

My dastardly plan has been foiled

AustinPowers

I can't stand  these things . Ricky Gervais  sums it up here. Accept your award , and  f**k off!!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VDt9b7IM43A

quit yo jibbajabba

Hugh Grant gave a cool interview. Couldnt give two fcuks

From the Bunker

Soundbites on Irish media seemed to know the score as regards Oscar chances. There was a lot of playing down last week after the initial hype of the nominations. 

There are no losers out of this - Gleeson and Farrell don't need a Oscar to be established. Keoghan and Condon will get a higher profile. 

shawshank

Quote from: AustinPowers on March 13, 2023, 10:25:20 AM
I can't stand  these things . Ricky Gervais  sums it up here. Accept your award , and  f**k off!!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VDt9b7IM43A

Seen that one before, the full clip. Brilliant from him.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on March 13, 2023, 10:28:20 AM
He was too clever for the interviewer. His vanity fair quip went right over her head.

weareros

Banshees did well in Golden Globes because it is voted by foreign press (foreign from USA). The Academy on the other hand is Hollywood and it becomes a popularity contest. The symbolism of Irish civil war would have flew over their heads. I think the film also flew over Irish critics who saw it as "feckin this" and "feckin that" with stage Irish dialogue. I have always felt McDonagh uses a stylized Hiberno-English for effect, not for stereotype/stage Irishisms. His plays have always brought out the primal quality of the language and the sheer tension in a simple sentence when structured not as you might expect to hear it in proper English. At the time only the Druid theatre in Galway led by a Ballagh woman saw the power of his drama, as he'd been rejected everywhere. Banshees too is a brilliant film.

J70

Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 13, 2023, 12:38:36 PM
Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on March 13, 2023, 10:28:20 AM
He was too clever for the interviewer. His vanity fair quip went right over her head.

It would go over most people's heads.

I only read about it, but he sounded like a dick to me.

If you don't want to be interviewed, then move the f**k on.

Or go in a side door.

Or don't go.

imtommygunn

He is a dick. He is on the right side of some things but that doesn't mean he isn't a dick  :o