The price of drink

Started by Lecale2, February 22, 2008, 04:47:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lecale2

Yesterday the British Medical Association called for an end to cheap drink - see link below. Today my local has stuck 15p on a pint!! It's now £2.75 for a pint of Guinness.

Has any other pub done this? Seems like an over reaction to the BMA report or they are using the health angle to increase profits. £2.60 was hardly cheap to begin with. No doubt it will go to £3.00 a pint with the budget in March.

I have cut back the visits to the pub to Friday evening and Monday evening and I don't think I can cut back much more.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7254933.stm

his holiness nb

I dont think the price of a pint would be the sort of cheap drink they are on about.
You could get 4 or 5 cans for the price of a pint.
Ask me holy bollix

5 Sams

Its the alcopops and the Barrackbusters they are on about.

The Aristocrat Years

The Gs Man

Quote from: Lecale2 on February 22, 2008, 04:47:26 PM
Yesterday the British Medical Association called for an end to cheap drink - see link below. Today my local has stuck 15p on a pint!! It's now £2.75 for a pint of Guinness.

Has any other pub done this? Seems like an over reaction to the BMA report or they are using the health angle to increase profits. £2.60 was hardly cheap to begin with. No doubt it will go to £3.00 a pint with the budget in March.

I have cut back the visits to the pub to Friday evening and Monday evening and I don't think I can cut back much more.

The Brewery's e.g. INBEV (Tennents, Bass) and Diageo (Guinness, harp) have recently put their prices up.  Bars have to put their prices up as a result.
Keep 'er lit

Puckoon

Quote from: The Gs Man on February 22, 2008, 05:29:45 PM

The Brewery's e.g. INBEV (Tennents, Bass) and Diageo (Guinness, harp) have recently put their prices up.  Bars have to put their prices up as a result.

Its a complete conspiracy from the Vinters associations. They are all in fecking cahoots with one another, regardless of when the brewerys put up the prices.

dec

The price of drink would drive you to drink so it would.

Square Ball

Lecale2

WHF
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

Zapatista

Quote from: dec on February 22, 2008, 05:48:49 PM
The price of drink would drive you to drink so it would.

So long as your not driving dec ;D

red hander

If offies stopped selling booze to obviously under-aged spotty sc**bag herberts in shellsuits and baseball caps in west Belfast and elsewhere we wouldn't have a problem ... and if hugh orde stopped recruiting said under-aged spotty sc**bag herberts in shellsuits and baseball caps in west Belfast to provide his thick as pig shit lesbian officers with submarine level intelligence about the local chucks, then we would have even less of a problem ???

Minder

Quote from: red hander on February 22, 2008, 07:56:34 PM
If offies stopped selling booze to obviously under-aged spotty sc**bag herberts in shellsuits and baseball caps in west Belfast and elsewhere we wouldn't have a problem ... and if hugh orde stopped recruiting said under-aged spotty sc**bag herberts in shellsuits and baseball caps in west Belfast to provide his thick as pig shit lesbian officers with submarine level intelligence about the local chucks, then we would have even less of a problem ???

Couldnt have out it better myself, there is an off license near me on the Falls Rd with a "You must be over 21 to be served here", i think it may be 21 months judging by some of the punters.......
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Puckoon

Quote from: tram on February 22, 2008, 09:30:27 PM
I'm told that most publicans don't make a big profit on beer, lager etc. but more on soft drinks etc. I can well believe it when a 200ml bottle in a pub can cost around £1.20 while the equivalent sold in a shop would be a quarter of the price.

The first part is something I heard before but find it hard to believe. They make plenty.

The second part is also true. Baby bottles make a fortune. Thats why most miserable hewers wont give out dashes of lemonade and so on.

THE MIGHTY QUINN

Lecale your pub isn't the only place with a medical conscience, most off licences appear to only sell Buckfast to winos I assume because of its medicinal qualities

Square Ball

Judes on the Ormeau started a happy hour from 7 to 9 on a Friday night a while ago, pints £1.50 so i thought the others would follow, two weeks later the Parador started the same price from 5 to 7.

Now i believe the Big House will be doing £1.30 a pint on Fridays from 6 to 9 (I think)

lock your doors!!!
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

stpauls

Quote from: Square Ball on April 10, 2008, 01:57:01 PM
Judes on the Ormeau started a happy hour from 7 to 9 on a Friday night a while ago, pints £1.50 so i thought the others would follow, two weeks later the Parador started the same price from 5 to 7.

Now i believe the Big House will be doing £1.30 a pint on Fridays from 6 to 9 (I think)

lock your doors!!!

man, that would make for some pub crawl on a Friday night after a long weeks working!! i wonder what the road will look like on Saturday morning!  :P

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Cloth Ear on Waring st does BOGOF on all pints on a friday from 4-7.
Irene & Nans and Bar Bacca do BOGOF on Thurs and Fri on wine, a cocktail and bottles of coruna.

Any other places in Belfast do anything during the week.

Oh yeah SU @QUB does cheap beer on a friday as well.
Tbc....