Honeymoon

Started by redboots, February 21, 2008, 05:15:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Quote from: blast05 on February 25, 2008, 12:47:00 PM
QuoteYeah, Diamondhead is the volcano that juts out at the end of Waikiki Beach. It dominates the skyline down that end of the beach.

I'll give you that Diamond Head is impressive but it doesn't ahve that much of a wow factor.

Other things to consider:
Drive around the north island (not sure if thats the name). Its the bigger island - not the one with Honolulu. This is simply an amazing drive - much more spectacular than dirving around the Honolulu island (name?)
Also, on the north island (name?), i would seriously recommend taking the trip up the large 10,000 ft volcano. Its a biking trip where you get the bus up and free wheel down (22 miles). Of course you could be an idjiot like me and rent a racing bike and cycle up as well (28 miles up hill from sea level)

One other thing, i thought the hotels on Waikiki were a bit disappointing  .... albeit that we were after coming from a 4 day stay in a suite over looking the lake in the Belaggio in Las Vegas.

The Honolulu island is Oahu.

Diamondhead is not that impressive on it's own, per se, but when you are sitting in a cocktail bar on the beach in Waikiki and looking back along the beach, through the palm trees and it is in the background, especially at sunset, it is lovely.

As for the 'wow' factor, the most genuinely awe inpiring sight I have seen, in the real sense of making you feel completely insignificant, is Grand Canyon. I have never experienced anything like the feeling that seeing that for the first time inspired. I used to love going up there with visitors, and watching them see the canyon for the first time. Everyone was stunned by it's vastness.

gawa316

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 25, 2008, 12:51:31 PM

Diamondhead is not that impressive on it's own, per se, but when you are sitting in a cocktail bar on the beach in Waikiki and looking back along the beach, through the palm trees and it is in the background, especially at sunset, it is lovely.

As for the 'wow' factor, the most genuinely awe inpiring sight I have seen, in the real sense of making you feel completely insignificant, is Grand Canyon. I have never experienced anything like the feeling that seeing that for the first time inspired. I used to love going up there with visitors, and watching them see the canyon for the first time. Everyone was stunned by it's vastness.

Have to say I had a similar feeling the first time I say El Capitan and Half Dome at Yosemite National Park. You drive along windy as fcuk roads and then all of a sudden it just hits you...it's like holy f**k nature can be incredible at times

Donagh

Quote from: ziggysego on February 21, 2008, 11:34:59 PM
Congratulations guys.

I don't think Armagh and Down are playing this year Donagh, unless you mean in the qualifiers ;)

Ziggy, Ziggy, Ziggy!!!!!

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: Donagh on June 14, 2008, 09:34:31 PM
Quote from: ziggysego on February 21, 2008, 11:34:59 PM
Congratulations guys.

I don't think Armagh and Down are playing this year Donagh, unless you mean in the qualifiers ;)

Ziggy, Ziggy, Ziggy!!!!!

Armagh still aren't there Donagh, good call on Down btw.  ;)
Tbc....

Donagh

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on June 14, 2008, 10:31:01 PM
Armagh still aren't there Donagh, good call on Down btw.  ;)

The planets are aligned GDA  ;)

the green man

I had mine in Rio. Lots to see, lots to do, and its reasonably priced once you get to it. Lots of hooker too

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Went to Hong Kong, Melbourne and the North Island of New Zealand for ours - trip of a lifetime, fantastic.
Tbc....

gawa316

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 22, 2008, 04:07:52 PM
Quote from: gawa316 on February 21, 2008, 11:26:31 PM
Quote from: ziggysego on February 21, 2008, 11:24:36 PM
When's the big day guys?

22nd March for me

Same anniversary as myself and the better half. We got poxed lucky with the weather that year, it was beautiful down in Killarney.

Re your honeymoon, Hawai'i is the business. When I lived stateside I went to Oahu for 6 days with friends. It is beautiful.

Make sure you do a couple of things.

1) Drink a cocktail on Waikiki Beach at sunset, facing Diamondhead. It is possibly as close to heaven as you can get on this world.
2) Go snorkelling in Hanauma Bay, it's a natural cove protected by reef, so only the small, colourful fish get in there, and a few small 'cudas. But it is gorgeous as well.
3) Go to the North Shore, if you can rent a car, and visit some of the beaches up there.  Be careful about swimming, because the north shore is notorious for rip tides, but there are a couple you can swim in. Beware the sudden breaking waves though, they can knock you on your arse!! :D
4) Visit Pearl Harbour. Count the Japs there :D Ah no, seriously, Pearl Harbour is a lovely spot, and it is very eerie, but not spooky. You can take a walk around the 'Bowfish' which is a WWII submarine. (How they stayed on it, I'll never know), and of course, take the launch out to the memorial for the USS Arizona. It is a humbling experience, no matter what your thoughts on America and their foreign policy.
5) Deep Sea Fishing. If you are only there for a couple of days, you mightn't want to do this, and it's not exactly romantic watching your skipper gutting a Mahi Mahi :D It is a great day though, and the excitement when you hook onto a big one is hard to beat. I landed two Mahi Mahi on our trip, but a friend of mine battle a Marlin for 40 minutes before the first mate f*cked up with the gaffe, and freed the fish right at the side of the boat. The friend was sick, because he was so tired, but I was secretly happy as the Marlin was a lovely looking fish, and I wasn't looking forward to seeing it getting the works.

Don't go to the Polynesian experience up in the North Shore, it's a waste of money in my opinion, unless it has changed dramatically. It's not too bad to walk around actually, but we paid for the 'cookout' as well, and that was rubbish. It's not what it says on the tin. Actually, if you can get cheaper tickets and are up in the NS for a while it might be no harm, but I certainly wouldn't be going up specially.

Some pictures of what I'm talking about....

1) Waikiki Beach at sunset,

2) Hanauma Bay

3) Waimea Bay, North Shore

4) Pearl Harbour Arizona Memorial

5) A Mahi-mahi

Back from honeymoon now a couple of months. Did everything you suggested apart from the deep sea fishing. f**k if ye ever get the chance to go to any of the Hawaiin isles grap it. When we got to our hotel in Waikiki we got up graded to partial ocean view. Balcony looking right up the beach to waikiki absolutely beautiful. Went to north shore (pipeline and sunset beach) wasn't working but still amazing, pearl harbor (freakingly amazing), snorkled inhanauma bay, hiked diamond head, did the luaia (sp?) thing. Nicest people ever. Lost memory card though >:(

Went onto Kauai, absolute paradise. Did helicopter ride, hiked in Waimea valley (nearly died!), went for speed boat ride around Napli coast. Got an american book which told us about lots of hidden spots, lagoons, beaches etc well worth it. Ended up at the Princeville Resort and got the 5 star treatment. All in all we had the time of our lifes

gawa316

Quote from: hardstation on June 15, 2008, 01:30:46 AM
Must have been great. Next adventure - Have a pup, don't sleep and clean up shite throughout the day.

I'll look forward to it :o

stpauls

Quote from: Onion Bag on February 22, 2008, 09:21:29 AM
Quote from: stpauls on February 22, 2008, 09:12:02 AM
heading to Oz in October for my own honeymoon! would be going sooner as i am getting wed in July, but a friend of mine is getting married as well in Brisbane in October so thought we would go then. planning to fly to Sydney, take a week or so to come up the coast to Brisbane for the stag night. then another week touring further up the coast to come back down for the wedding a week later, and haven't decided what to do after that. thinking about going to Fiji, on our way to LA, then home via New York to see her brother! looking forward to it already!

Holy jasus st pauls, how long are you heading for?

have mine fully booked now and mostly paid for. 2 nights in hong kong on the way to sydney, 4 nights there, then to ayers rock for 2 nights, cairns for 3 nights to take in the great barrier reef etc, brisbane for 3 nights for my mates wedding, then to the whitsunday islands for 3 nights to really chill out, back to brisbane for a stopover before hitting singapore for 2 nights on the way home!! really cant wait, but i have only just under 4 weeks to the big day arrives, so all is a bit mental at the minute!!

BallyhaiseMan

Donagh delaying his honeymoon to watch a Cavan Down Ulster Semi,

Theres dedication to Ulster GAA for you  ;)

JimStynes

Quote from: gawa316 on June 15, 2008, 01:25:20 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on February 22, 2008, 04:07:52 PM
Quote from: gawa316 on February 21, 2008, 11:26:31 PM
Quote from: ziggysego on February 21, 2008, 11:24:36 PM
When's the big day guys?

22nd March for me

Same anniversary as myself and the better half. We got poxed lucky with the weather that year, it was beautiful down in Killarney.

Re your honeymoon, Hawai'i is the business. When I lived stateside I went to Oahu for 6 days with friends. It is beautiful.

Make sure you do a couple of things.

1) Drink a cocktail on Waikiki Beach at sunset, facing Diamondhead. It is possibly as close to heaven as you can get on this world.
2) Go snorkelling in Hanauma Bay, it's a natural cove protected by reef, so only the small, colourful fish get in there, and a few small 'cudas. But it is gorgeous as well.
3) Go to the North Shore, if you can rent a car, and visit some of the beaches up there.  Be careful about swimming, because the north shore is notorious for rip tides, but there are a couple you can swim in. Beware the sudden breaking waves though, they can knock you on your arse!! :D
4) Visit Pearl Harbour. Count the Japs there :D Ah no, seriously, Pearl Harbour is a lovely spot, and it is very eerie, but not spooky. You can take a walk around the 'Bowfish' which is a WWII submarine. (How they stayed on it, I'll never know), and of course, take the launch out to the memorial for the USS Arizona. It is a humbling experience, no matter what your thoughts on America and their foreign policy.
5) Deep Sea Fishing. If you are only there for a couple of days, you mightn't want to do this, and it's not exactly romantic watching your skipper gutting a Mahi Mahi :D It is a great day though, and the excitement when you hook onto a big one is hard to beat. I landed two Mahi Mahi on our trip, but a friend of mine battle a Marlin for 40 minutes before the first mate f*cked up with the gaffe, and freed the fish right at the side of the boat. The friend was sick, because he was so tired, but I was secretly happy as the Marlin was a lovely looking fish, and I wasn't looking forward to seeing it getting the works.

Don't go to the Polynesian experience up in the North Shore, it's a waste of money in my opinion, unless it has changed dramatically. It's not too bad to walk around actually, but we paid for the 'cookout' as well, and that was rubbish. It's not what it says on the tin. Actually, if you can get cheaper tickets and are up in the NS for a while it might be no harm, but I certainly wouldn't be going up specially.

Some pictures of what I'm talking about....

1) Waikiki Beach at sunset,

2) Hanauma Bay

3) Waimea Bay, North Shore

4) Pearl Harbour Arizona Memorial

5) A Mahi-mahi

Back from honeymoon now a couple of months. Did everything you suggested apart from the deep sea fishing. f**k if ye ever get the chance to go to any of the Hawaiin isles grap it. When we got to our hotel in Waikiki we got up graded to partial ocean view. Balcony looking right up the beach to waikiki absolutely beautiful. Went to north shore (pipeline and sunset beach) wasn't working but still amazing, pearl harbor (freakingly amazing), snorkled inhanauma bay, hiked diamond head, did the luaia (sp?) thing. Nicest people ever. Lost memory card though >:(

Went onto Kauai, absolute paradise. Did helicopter ride, hiked in Waimea valley (nearly died!), went for speed boat ride around Napli coast. Got an american book which told us about lots of hidden spots, lagoons, beaches etc well worth it. Ended up at the Princeville Resort and got the 5 star treatment. All in all we had the time of our lifes

How long where you in Hawaii. Im heading next year on the tail end of a world trip so will be on a strict budget. I would love to do all the things you have recommended to do but i dont want to run out of time and money. Is Hawaii it expensive (accomdation, food, tours, etc)

gawa316

Quote from: JimStynes on June 15, 2008, 04:34:04 PM

How long where you in Hawaii. Im heading next year on the tail end of a world trip so will be on a strict budget. I would love to do all the things you have recommended to do but i dont want to run out of time and money. Is Hawaii it expensive (accomdation, food, tours, etc)

We where away for 2 weeks. Compared to mainland USA it's expensive, especially Kauai. When you compare it to Ireland it's not too bad. Best thing we done was get an apartment for a week, means you can cook your own luch and dinner which saves you a lot of bucks. Tours can be expensive, we paid about $650 for out helicopter tour and $220 for the Luaii. Rent a jeep and tour around yourself. Snorkling and all water sports rental are cheap enough

Onion Bag

Quote from: Hereiam on February 21, 2008, 08:22:29 PM
Me and the Mrs went to Las Vegas for 4 nights, San Fran for 3 nights and Hawaii for 7 was a trip well worth every penny.

Like to sound of that, what sort of dough would you be looking at for that?
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

Hereiam

Work out about £3500 for flights and accommodation. Would like to go to vegas again, its a mad place. Hawaii is were I plan to retire when I make my first billion  ;D