Gaillimh vs Tír Eoghain NFL 2008

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, February 19, 2008, 09:10:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fear ón Srath Bán

Time to look forward, and suddenly (as sudden as the equalising Kildare goal) Salthill on the 2nd March is a massive game for Tyrone.

Would like to see, in Salthill:

1. Packie: our best shot-stopper, but needs to get the head-staggers sorted with the kickouts, though in fairness he needs options to kick towards, which weren't there on Saturday evening

2. PJ Quinn: still on the learning curve, but improving with each game

3. Justy: promising introduction

4. Swift: more of the same

5. Carlin: no offence to Davy

6. Gormley: nuff said

7. Philly: ditto

8. Seán C: ditto

9. Hughes: limited options here, and he does better where he has a fielder alongside, will give necessary physical support to Seán C

10. Enda: player of the year, so far

11. Mulgrew: class, just needs to keep at it for the 70

12. Tommy Mc Guigan: from the sublime to the ridiculous at times, but if he could only stay on message for anything like the 70

13. Mc Cullagh: worked hardest and most effectively in Tralee, sharp looking

14. Mulligan: perhaps a folorn hope...

15. Gormley: worth another try, a big ask for first full county competitive game back to be against an All-Ireland winning defence

Galway going steadily at the minute (Galway folk agree?), but maybe just the game we need.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

MaroonAndWhite

Yeah Fear, we're tipping along nicely at the moment. Large change of style from recent years (Ford  >:() We are actually kicking the ball rather than glorified basketball. The forwards are gettin more space to do some damage and in fairness, are doing their stuff with decent scores in both the earlier games. The Master PJ is back at 11 and pulling the strings, Mikey Meehan is looking a rejuvenated player and those around them looking alot more interested than previous years and working hard. Id worry for midfield and we are riddled with injuries (I know........we're whingin of injuries to Tyrone lads ::)) at the minute particularly in the back line but i think we can put up a big enough score to be there or there-abouts

Tyrone may have a dilemma....put Conor Gormally on PJ or Mike Meehan? What do the Red Handers reckon?

Hopefully as good a game as the league semi final a few years back......only class game Ive seen at Salthill. About the only day the wind didnt spoil a game there......

ONeill

Teams that day:

Galway:
A Keane,
M Comer, G Fahy, K Fitzgerald,
D Meehan, P Clancy (0-1), S Og de Paor (0-1),
J Bergin, S O Domhnaill,
D Savage, M Donnellan (1-1, 1f), J Devane (0-2),
M Meehan (0-2), P Joyce (1-6, 3f), T Joyce (0-3).
Subs: N Joyce (0-1) for Savage, T Meehan for Devane.

Tyrone:
P McConnell,
R McMenamin, C Gormley, C Gourley,
B Donnelly, G Devlin, P Jordan,
K Hughes, S Cavanagh (1-1),
B Dooher (0-3), B McGuigan, O Mulligan (0-2),
M Harte (0-9, 8f), E McGinley (0-1), C McCullagh(0-2).
Subs: J McMahon (0-1) for Donnelly, C Holmes for Hughes, D Carlin for Gormley.

Drawn game:

Tyrone: S Cavanagh(1-1), M Harte (0-4, all frees), C McCullagh (0-3), E Mulligan (0-3, 2 frees), B McGuigan (0-2), B Dooher, B Donnelly, J McMahon (0-1 each)
Galway: P Joyce (0-7, 2 frees), M Meehan (0-3), J Devane (1-1), M Donnellan (0-4, 3 frees) J Bergin(0-1)
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Tyrone Dreamer

It wouldnt be the team Id put out in the summer but would like something like this:
P McConnell
PJ Quinn
C Gormley
M Swift
R McMenamin (if not fit then McCaul)
D Carlin
P Jordan
Justy McMahon
Ryan Mellon (he's never really got a chance in this position since 2002)
E McGinley
R Mulgrew
M Penrose
C McCullagh
S Cavanagh
O Mulligan
Ive never been a Penrose fan and wouldnt want to start him in the championship but he's looks more likely to pick up a lot more ball than the other forwards already tried and this is a crucial game to get the season started. He needs to be told to release the ball a lot quicker though. He's possibly injured at the minute anyway!

ONeill

Jaysus lads yiz are wile sore on The Nephew. He has played no worse than Swift, Quinn, McCarron, McMahon, Carlin and most of the forward division.

I'm waiting to see anyhing from either corner back that's a better option than what we have in Ricey, McGee, Carlin or even Gourley. I agree they should be given more time though.

Puckoon

I dont understand this fascination some people have with getting Davy off the team - even if he isnt no longer number one option - there are other obvious areas in need of some surgery!

Fear ón Srath Bán

T'is neither a fascination nor a fixation Puckoon, and he was much improved against Kerry, and he's well worth a shout for his place, but for this game in particular...
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

orangeman

I really think that MH should "rest" Hughes and Mulligan to see if their appetite / form returns.

Puckoon

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on February 19, 2008, 11:14:02 PM
T'is neither a fascination nor a fixation Puckoon, and he was much improved against Kerry, and he's well worth a shout for his place, but for this game in particular...

Fair FOSB, some posters have the knives out because of family connections.

Orangeman "rest" is right. Let the two boys show they have the hunger again.

orangeman

Both Hughes and Mulligan have lost form - give them time - introduce new players at this stage and see if they come good for the end of the league / championship.

Aaron Boone

Quote from: ONeill on February 19, 2008, 10:24:09 PM
Teams that day:

Tyrone:
P McConnell,
R McMenamin, C Gormley, C Gourley,
B Donnelly, G Devlin, P Jordan,
K Hughes, S Cavanagh (1-1),
B Dooher (0-3), B McGuigan, O Mulligan (0-2),
M Harte (0-9, 8f), E McGinley (0-1), C McCullagh(0-2).

M Harte had some game that day.

orangeman

M Harte had some game that day

He surely did !

ONeill

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on February 19, 2008, 11:14:02 PM

I don't understand - why this game in particular?

never kickt a ball

Quote from: hardstation on February 19, 2008, 11:20:32 PM
Jaysus.
First, someone said that Mugsy needs to step up to the plate.
Now, his appetite is in question.

Someone bite, quick.

Bite - oops.

I'm sure Mugsy will regain his hunger soon  ;D

supersarsfields

Who would you have coming in for these two then?

Mellon for Hughes would be an option that I wouldn't argue  with as Hub has been poor. I'm not so sure with Mugsy tho. I know he hasn't been great so far but he's not on his own there to be honest. And who would come in? Penrose? (Is he even in the squad or is he injured?)
Is there any update on when we might see a bit of B McGuigan again?