The Armagh Harps Thread

Started by Rufus T Firefly, November 10, 2006, 11:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rafferotti

Good Man Rufus.....I think that Harps football match was straight after the famous Greek holiday "Bourne identity " jeep chase with the dodgy Bond girls in the leading jeep with us, driven by some estranged Portadown convict.

Anyway see you xmas.Have to return promptly  in Jan to meet Mrs Posh and Mr Becks, to give them fashion advice on how to make it in Milan.

BerfArmagh

So rufus, any update on the sequence of events for saturday night? Will Nicky Brennan be attending?

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: BerfArmagh on November 10, 2008, 10:59:08 AM
So rufus, any update on the sequence of events for saturday night? Will Nicky Brennan be attending?

Great line up of distinguished guests appearing Berfa - promises to be a wonder night!   8)

Just a couple of other points to make.

The book continues to sell well and I believe is being snapped up as presents for Chrimbo! Was questioned by a number of people about it leaving Mass on Sunday, and indeed was stopped in McAnerneys by Eugene Campbell of the Pearse Og, who gave me an eye witness account of the save made by George Nixon with his knees in the streets league in 1946, and described in the book!  ;D

This Wednesday night, the book launch is being marked by Mayor Noel Sheridan and invited guests ( 8)) at a reception in the Palace Demesne!

Saturday night is of course the much anticipated Gala Evening.

Two other dates to note .

The Mass for deceased members will be held in St Malchy's Chapel on Tuesday 25th November at 7.30 pm.

Our AGM is then a week later, on Tuesday 2nd December in the Social Club. Nominations should be made as soon as possible.

nashville

Most people on this thread going to the Gala? Should be a top night! Are the minors going?

bennydorano

Heading.  Minors got freebies and are among the 'Guests of Honour'.

sammy

Just a quick line to say what a great nite the Gala was and well done to all those involved  :)

bennydorano

Powerful night, congrats to all those invovled in the Gala committee and especially John McConville.  Noticed Jarlath had 'borrowed' at least 2 stories of the GAAboard for his speech - which was excellent btw.

corn02

Sore heads?

What were the stories?

Fair play, those galas are quite a risk, glad it paid off.

judas1

what a night,congratulations to all involved.       great to see rootthemout & saynothing buying a few drinks!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D

bennydorano

Quote from: corn02 on November 17, 2008, 04:14:33 PM
Sore heads?

What were the stories?

Fair play, those galas are quite a risk, glad it paid off.
One was the 2 galway clubs that formed a senior team and at the AGM a local priest got up and spoke about working together etc.. and the chairman said thanks for that father but that's the sort of shite that sickens my hole, I cant recall the other one, but defo 2.

Rufus T Firefly

Jarlath also had high praise for Stumpy when reflecting on Stumps's skillful playing career!   :D  Also said about how difficult it was to get past Dominic Clarke at full back for the Harps, and on the rare occasions that happened, then you had Dom's older brother, Big Paul, doing umpire!   :D :D  I can't complain - both Dom and Paul looked after me on many of those occasions!!

Have to say, what an absolutely brilliant, brilliant night - fair play to Tootsie McConville and the rest of the organising committee - it's becoming a cliche, but never more apt - what a night for NaClairsigh, Ard Mhacha. There were some legends past and present at the occasion! Absolutely tremendous! Gives a real feel good factor around the Club!!  8)

brokencrossbar1

Congratulations Rufus, it is a fine achievement, and one which is badly needed in our place, hmmmm, now that's an idea!

BTW, the fecker Paul Clarke was the worst hoor of an umpire.  I recall once or twice having a "conversation" with him and Dominic ;D  The best I ever saw was a league game in Abbey Park, Paul was you umpire at the Club end and Martin"Jimmy" Trainor was our umpire.  I swore that at one stage the two were going to go at each other!

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on November 17, 2008, 10:20:49 PM
Congratulations Rufus, it is a fine achievement, and one which is badly needed in our place, hmmmm, now that's an idea!

BTW, the fecker Paul Clarke was the worst hoor of an umpire.  I recall once or twice having a "conversation" with him and Dominic ;D  The best I ever saw was a league game in Abbey Park, Paul was you umpire at the Club end and Martin"Jimmy" Trainor was our umpire.  I swore that at one stage the two were going to go at each other!

Cheers BC!

Your and my careers barely crossed, but I do remember playing Rangers early in the league in 1996 on a pitch that was water logged after incessant rain. There was a high ball went into the goalmouth and Paul Hearty let it slip through his hands and then dived back to try and get it before it crossed the line. Big Paul immediately reached for the green flag - Hearty responded with something to the effect of 'That didn't cross the
fu$%ing line!' to which Big Paul responded (mid wave of the flag), 'You take a reddner Benny - you dropped it!'  ;D 

The best of it was that Big Paul used to claim those goals for himself!!   

brokencrossbar1

I think I recall that game.  We barely had 15 that day due to weddings etc.  We had to go and pick Paddy McKeown out of the pub after he had about 5-6 pints.  It was his first start and I think he was marking Gola.  He took Gola to the cleaners that day, and was physically sick at least twice during the game!!!

Local Hero

Never mind that youse bennys, he still went on to umpire a final in Croke Park ;)