The Armagh Harps Thread

Started by Rufus T Firefly, November 10, 2006, 11:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Uladh

When i think about it, the city clubs have been poorly represented since the nineties

laughinpaddy

Think your right Uladh, as far as i'm aware the first ulster armagh won in the 90's was the first time the Harps were not represented on an armagh ulster winning panel!  :o
I ain't gettin on no plane!

T.G.M is back

bennydorano

An RTF production

Harps v Culloville

Harps ensured their survival in Division One of the All County League last Wednesday night, when they had two points to spare over fellow strugglers Culloville. The match, played under the lights, was an entertaining and end to end game that kept both sets of supporters on their toes until the final whistle.

Harps started off defending the dressing room goals and soon had the opening point through a great Joe Quigley effort from play. Culloville equalised when their inside forward was able to gather a shot that came back off the post, and slot a point from close range. Nippy scored a lovely point after a run through the middle, and after Kevin Kelly shot wide he eventually did manage a point with his next attempt; a thirty yard free after Ebbie was fouled. Joe Quigley added a further point which was quickly cancelled out by a point from the Culloville number 15. Harps then appeared to establish full control when they got a rather controversial goal. A high ball to the back post was fisted goalwards by Kevin Kelly, and although the keeper appeared to gather under the bar, umpire Pearse Dynes had no hesitation in signalling that the keeper had stepped back over the line and the goal was allowed to stand. Harps really should have used this lead to take full control of the match. Instead however, they sat back and allowed Culloville to stage a great comeback. They dominated the next stage of play, scoring 1-3, to take the lead for the first time in the game. The goal itself was disappointing from a defensive point of view, with the attacker allowed to break clear of the defence, soccer style, and side foot a well placed shot beyond Willie McSorley. Charlie Vernon restored parity with a well taken point. Charlie followed this up with a wide before Harps were reduced to fourteen men, when Kevin Kelly received a straight red card for an off the ball incident. Joe Quigley slotted a point from a free and both sides swapped wides just prior to the half time whistle blowing.

Half time, Harps 1-06, Culloville 1-05.

Culloville attacked from the off but had a bad wide from their number 13. Harps then extended their lead with a point from a Joe Quigley free before Culloville pointed with a free of their own. The equaliser soon followed with an excellent point from their number 7. Both sides again exchanged wides before Harps were awarded a penalty when Joe Quigley was brought down in the large parallelogram at the end of a great run. Joe dusted himself down and confidently side footed the kick to the net. Declan Coulter, now in for Harpo, scored an excellent fisted point after good work by Chuckie, although Culloville pointed following a great move from the kick out. Nippy responded with a magnificent long range point from play and Smackers then extended the Harps' lead to five points with a well taken point. Once again though when well placed, Harps allowed the opposition back into the game. Culloville reeled off the next four points – two of which were brilliant long range efforts from numbers 11 and 17 – to leave a single point in it, and the match in the balance. Charlie Vernon had a wide for the Harps, although Culloville responded with two wides of their own when the equaliser was definitely on. Joe Quigley managed a point from play to give the Harps a bit of breathing space, but Culloville still threatened, and Willie McSorley had to be both sharp and brave to deny an incoming forward. Culloville were then reduced to fourteen men following the red card given to their full forward, and in injury time they again reduced the arrears to the minimum with a point from a close in free. With time almost up, and the Harps' supporters shouting for the final whistle, Charlie Vernon stepped up to slot a well taken point to eventually secure both points and thus ensure Division 1 survival.

Final score, Harps 2-12, Culloville 1-13.

As stated, this was a thoroughly entertaining game, which was end to end, and was marked by some excellent point taking by both sides. Best for the Harps were Martin Gill in defence, Charlie Vernon in midfield and Joe Quigley in attack. The Harps lined out as follows. Willie McSorley, Jungle McKee, Martin Gill, Liam McAuley, Chuckie Morris, Smackers McAnaney 0-1, Martin McCoy, Charlie Vernon 0-2, Simon Lennon, Harpo McKenna (Declan Coulter 0-1), Nippy Swift 0-2, Joe Quigley 1-5 (1-0 penalty, 0-2 frees), Kevin Kelly 1-1 (0-1 free), Gerard McDonagh and Ebbie Toal.    

Spiritof98

Correct me if i'm wrong is that 7 wins and 1 draw from the Championship defeat, good going by the lads and Div 1 football next year was an absolute necessity.
I'll go back if Marsdens back

Candyman

we're down to play cross on sunday, anyone think it wont be played on account of the final next week???

Spiritof98

I've heard nothing Candyman but In my view its perfect preperation for them, playing a side from the City.

Any truth the Ogs v Dromintee has been fixed for Abbey Park on Thursday night under the lights.
I'll go back if Marsdens back

el_cuervo_fc

Quote from: Spiritof98 on September 19, 2007, 01:15:36 PM
I've heard nothing Candyman but In my view its perfect preperation for them, playing a side from the City.

Any truth the Ogs v Dromintee has been fixed for Abbey Park on Thursday night under the lights.

Yes.  Our game is fixed for Abbey Park tomorrow night, throw in at 7

Candyman

and who agreed to let the piggery use our facilities???  ;)

el_cuervo_fc

Much appreciated Candyman, you love us really  :P

Candyman

dont worry we'll have the showers on full blast and tea and sandwiches in the club after for ye's.... AM SUUUURRREEEE!!!!!  :D
u back in contention for a spot anyway el cuervo???

el_cuervo_fc

I'm readily available again.  back to full fitness so ye never know 

Rufus T Firefly

Harps beaten 1-10 to 0-06 by Crossmaglen Rangers at Abbey Park today, in a poor enough match between two understrength teams. Match report to follow.

Redhandfan

Will the Harps folk be supporting one of their 'forgotten sons' in this year's Tyrone SFC Final?

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: Redhandfan on September 23, 2007, 11:57:31 PM
Will the Harps folk be supporting one of their 'forgotten sons' in this year's Tyrone SFC Final?

Bloody hell - so Na Fianna are through? I hear he is actually playing very well, and of course they will have my full support - good on D.

Funny too - us and Coalisland built up a healthy rivalry over the 1989-91 period - both of us played in those three County finals, winning two - Coailsland were shocked in Edendork in 1991 by Clonoe when going for the three-in-a-row.