Collingwood to play Dublin!!!!!

Started by zoyler, February 06, 2008, 09:40:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bud Wiser

The Dub's wouldn't beat Dargle Wood Residents Association committee let alone Collingwood.

However, does this mean that if other counties decide to play Manchester United, or Sydney Swans in a mixed rules game that Croke Park will also be made available to them? 
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

Hardy

What about mixed Aussie Rules and Monster Trucks?  The Dubs would have the trucks.

On second thoughts, not a good idea - Dubs in trucks. Not worried about the Aussies, but you have to think of the spectators.

heffo

Quote from: Bud Wiser on February 10, 2008, 01:41:38 PM
The Dub's wouldn't beat Dargle Wood Residents Association committee let alone Collingwood.

That speaks volumes about your shower so.

On an unrelated topic, it's always nice to see the Laois players reverting to type and bitching to any journalist who'll listen about how much they dislike Kearns and how the setup is a joke.

Jinxy

Quote from: Bud Wiser on February 10, 2008, 01:41:38 PM

However, does this mean that if other counties decide to play Manchester United, or Sydney Swans in a mixed rules game that Croke Park will also be made available to them? 

It's all yours Bud!  :D I would have thought at this stage the Laois CB reaction to an AFL visit would involve bundling your minor team into a minibus and heading for the hills.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

ExiledGael

Very worrying story on the AFL in today's Aussie papers. Can't post the link. Can anyone here get the Herald Sun website going and post the story on the untapped Irish market?
"Ireland's best young talent is about to be plundered further with the introduction of a national recruiting network" - that's the summary at the top.

hitzelsperger

IRELAND'S best young talent is about to be plundered further with the introduction of a national recruiting network specifically for AFL clubs.

Five clubs, including premier Geelong, have expressed interest in the project.

The audacious plan, the brainchild of manager Ricky Nixon of Flying Start, has a recruiter in each of Ireland's 32 counties reporting to a national co-ordinator.

That co-ordinator would then feed player information, videos and profiles into a central internet port.

For a fee, believed to be about $30,000 a year, clubs would have exclusive access to the best 14 to 20-year-olds in the country.

The next Marty Clarke or Tadhg Kennelly, who are among nine Irish players in the AFL, could be identified by a click of the mouse.

Nixon sent all 16 clubs a letter outlining the proposal this week.

"It's fair to say in 24 hours we got substantial interest from more than five clubs," he said.

"We all know Ireland is definitely untapped in its recruiting potential. Just look at Marty Clarke and what he did in 12 months of footy."

It's believed Collingwood, which already has a recruiting system in Ireland, is keen to expand its database.

Clubs such as the Cats, Essendon, St Kilda, the Kangaroos, Western Bulldogs and Hawthorn, along with West Australian and South Australian clubs, will consider the proposal as their first major steps into the untapped riches of Ireland.

Already those clubs trail the Magpies, Carlton, Sydney and the Brisbane Lions in the Irish market.

Under Nixon's plan, the national co-ordinator in Ireland would be a full-time position. He would have spotters at school, junior and senior Gaelic matches.

The advantage is clubs would have extensive on-the-ground recruiters instead of having to fly staff over there," Nixon said.

Geelong recruiting manager Stephen Wells indicated his support last night.

"Our club is considering what's best for us," Wells said.

"Obviously Ricky has put together a good infrastructure and if we think we can get value for money, we would support it."

Wells, who said Ireland was a "much bigger market than Africa in the short term", is preparing a submission to put to the club.

In his letter, Nixon described the Irish experiment as being in the "embryonic stage" and that his company had spent the past four years setting up the recruiting infrastructure.

"We believe our network can alleviate the need to appoint scouts in Ireland and it would only need your recruiting personal to go over and watch selected players as per our recommendations," Nixon wrote.

"Our report will rival those an AFL club receives from state bodies, e.g. TAC Cup."

This latest recruiting proposal will further harm the testy relationship between the Gaelic Athletic Association and the AFL.

While the International Rules Series is still in limbo, the talent drain has reportedly angered several counties.

Although the GAA has said it would not impose rules restricting player movement, individual counties have expressed concern.

County Mayo team manager John O'Mahony told the Herald Sun in October: "The feedback I'm getting is that there's an annoyance there (from county boards).

"But I've said all along that we can't stop these young players from going.

"It's their free choice and certainly I think we will not be putting rules in place to stop it."

Wells said if rules were not imposed, Ireland would become a bigger recruiting area.

Aerlik

If any of you know of any half decent minor can you let me know so I can get him to Freo before he gets sucked in by the junkies up the Swan at WC. ;)
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

thejuice

QuoteThe audacious plan, the brainchild of manager Ricky Nixon of Flying Start, has a recruiter in each of Ireland's 32 counties reporting to a national co-ordinator.

this shite has to stop, something needs to be done to protect the GAA's talent. I know we cant stop players from leaving but we can entice them to stay. Somehow. This is in the GAA's own interest. This will be very attractive to young lads in the GAA, alot of them dream of being pro-sportsmen at that age.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Gnevin

Quote from: thejuice on February 13, 2008, 10:16:49 AM
QuoteThe audacious plan, the brainchild of manager Ricky Nixon of Flying Start, has a recruiter in each of Ireland's 32 counties reporting to a national co-ordinator.

this shite has to stop, something needs to be done to protect the GAA's talent. I know we cant stop players from leaving but we can entice them to stay. Somehow. This is in the GAA's own interest. This will be very attractive to young lads in the GAA, alot of them dream of being pro-sportsmen at that age.
Ok lets start with likes of Kevin Doyle
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

thejuice

It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Gnevin

Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

thejuice

Yeah but seriosly, what can be done, do we just sit here and say best of luck to em' or do we try and get them to stay. of course its down to them players themselves what they want to do, but we can try influence their decision of course.

Gnevin

Quote from: thejuice on February 13, 2008, 10:46:56 AM
Yeah but seriosly, what can be done, do we just sit here and say best of luck to em' or do we try and get them to stay. of course its down to them players themselves what they want to do, but we can try influence their decision of course.
I've not problem with the GAA trying to keep player but lets not fool our selfs into thinking the AFL in the main "problem" the PL is and Rubgy after that.

thejuice

I am aware of that, but ultimately AFL are actively scouting our players for their gaelic skills. Dont think there are many Rugby scouts looking for potential players at GAA matches, likewise for soccer.

Anyway what can we do to keep our players here??

Declan

AFL are actively scouting and I can't see how we can actually stop them doing that other than to cut off all ties and make it a s difficult as possible for them

Any lad who is interested in sport would love to be able to earn a crust doing it so lads will continue to try their hand be it soccer, rugby, AFL whenever the opportunity is given to them.