Ulster u21 Championship

Started by the milkman, February 06, 2008, 12:26:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the milkman

Should be very competitive this year, any thoughts on who will win it, team line up's and so on.

Mickey Linden

Considering Down won the minor all ireland three years ago they must stand a chance. However, the undoubted star of that team was Martin Clarke and he will be a massive loss to them. Promises to be a great championship

mattockranger

donegal good squad this year tough outing against monaghan first round very competitive championship all round
will to win is important the will to prepare to win is vital

Captain Black

bennydorano

17 of last year's panel available, so Armagh should be at least competitive.  Hear they are playing QUB tonight in Silverbridge at 7.30 for anyone who wants to find out how good they are.

nrico2006

Tyrone will be there or thereabouts, they lost to Down 3 years ago through injury time goal, but minor success is not a gurantee for an u-21 success 3 years later as Tyrone found out last year.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

tbrick18

Derry are bound to be there or thereabouts after the minor team doing so well last year.

pebble-dasher

armagh would be more than competitive considering they won the ulster minor 3 years ago, think tyrone or derry will win it

western exile

So then.....  contenders so far are.....

Down       because they were All-Ireland Champions 2005
Armagh    because they were Ulster Champions 2005
Tyrone     because they were only defeated by Down by a last minute goal in 2005
Derry       because they showed promise recently.

Looks like it willl be a good one  8)

western exile

Donegal have started this championship off with a 4 point win over Monaghan

Doire abú

tyrone86

Quote from: Doire abú on March 18, 2008, 07:46:04 PM
Who's favourites anyway?

I'd say the bookies - if they happened to be offering odds - would have trouble separating western exiles 4 contenders. And you could probably throw Donegal into that as well as they'd have a fair few lads from the '06 Ulster Minor winning team coming through. If I was trying to be objective I'd still say Down are the team to beat, even with the loss of Martin Clarke from the Minor team. McComiskey has come on in leaps and bounds since Minor and is the outstanding player in the U21 grade. I think Dyas was as key a player for Armagh as Clarke was for Down and I fancy an underrated Donegal side to turn them over in Ballybofey. Tyrone still have half a dozen quality players eligible from the Minor winning All Ireland side of 04 but they've been erratic in the build up to the Championship and it's hard to know what they'll be like against a Cavan team that is something of an unknown quantity. Derry should have enough to account for Fermanagh, but it's probably a year early for them to make a serious challenge for Ulster and All Ireland.

diesel-smuggler

anyone know what time the game is at on saturday?

wherefromreferee?

Can anyone list details of who plays who, when and where. (I'm lazy!)
In your Endo!

wherefromreferee?

In your Endo!