Philosophy

Started by ONeill, February 04, 2008, 11:07:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

Anyone following the series in the Independent (England)?

Have read Socrates, Plato, Aristotle and Aquinas. Missed today's (Machiavelli, Bacon and Averroes). Does anyone have it or work in a shop who'll keep me one?

Anyone interested in this area?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Orior

Son, I dont understand a word you just said.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

ziggysego

Most newsagents will keep a copy if you request it ONeill.
Testing Accessibility

THE MIGHTY QUINN

Bacon is a frequent poster here so perhaps he might be able to give you a personal copy

Aerlik

O'Neill, I bought an amazing CD over here in Oz entitled "4000 works of literature" for $9.99 (4 squids).  It has all the works of Aristotle, Plato, Socrates, Homer, right through to 20th Century literature.  Let me know what you want and next time I'm in Perth I'll try and dig it out for you.  You'll have to wait a couple of weeks though.
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

Puckoon

Is it a synopsis of their works im assuming? Interesting stuff. I did a couple of semesters of Philosophy and Theological Philosophy at Queens. Studied Descartes,  and the works of Aquinas (St Thomas?) on proving the existence of God. Descartes was mind bending "this is so much better than A level Business Studies" carry on and the rest of it made for some interesting pub talk. I really liked the Aquinas stuff.

Hardy

Puck - have you read Dawkins' "The God Delusion"? It's the other side of the argument and interesting on Aquinas's (and others') proofs.

Bacon

Were you studying to be a priest?
Down Championships Prediction League Winner 2009

Fiodoir Ard Mhacha

A clerical pal told me about the writings of Albert Camus, the French philosopher who had these great debates in the 1950s with Jean-Paul Sartre. No doubt not in the confines of a chatroom like this but still, some interesting differences of opinion on totalitarianism.

The basic premise of Camus' essays was to present the reader with dualisms: happiness and sadness, dark and light, life and death, etc. His aim was to emphasise the fact that happiness is fleeting and that the human condition is one of mortality. He did this not to be morbid, but to reflect a greater appreciation for life and happiness.

So, enjoy each day as if it's your last.

Happy Super Dooper Tuesday!
"Something wrong with your eyes?....
Yes, they're sensitive to questions!"

Billys Boots

QuotePuck - have you read Dawkins' "The God Delusion"?

I've often been tempted to read it, but the guy's social skills put me right off.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Orior

Quote from: Billys Boots on February 05, 2008, 08:55:59 AM
QuotePuck - have you read Dawkins' "The God Delusion"?

I've often been tempted to read it, but the guy's social skills put me right off.

I have it on my things to do list. Unfortunately I'll be looking for holes in it.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

ONeill

Quote from: Puckoon on February 05, 2008, 05:29:28 AM
Is it a synopsis of their works im assuming? Interesting stuff. I did a couple of semesters of Philosophy and Theological Philosophy at Queens. Studied Descartes,  and the works of Aquinas (St Thomas?) on proving the existence of God. Descartes was mind bending "this is so much better than A level Business Studies" carry on and the rest of it made for some interesting pub talk. I really liked the Aquinas stuff.

Yes, it's a brief biography of each and then touches on their major works.

I've learned a lot. Aquinas died from being hit on the neb from an over-hanging branch and him only after experiencing a momentus spiritual event.
God can be such a bastard.

Socrates seemed to be a bit of an irritant - Dunphy is a modern day Socrates. Gadfly.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Billys Boots

QuoteI have it on my things to do list. Unfortunately I'll be looking for holes in it.

It's on my to-do list for the summer, but I'm put off by the likelihood that I'll agree with the bollocks.

QuoteSocrates seemed to be a bit of an irritant - Dunphy is a modern day Socrates. Gadfly.

I'd hate to see poor oul Eamo come to as bad an end ... sometimes.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

theskull1

The Teaching Company (TTC) have fantastic audio lectures which I would recommend a listen to

Also Will Durant had a book The history of philosophy which is a great introduction to the subject area.

I love the subject but struggle to verbalise their theories to myself never mind blokes down the pub
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Declan

THere was a very good debate between David Quinn and Richard Dawkins on the God Delusion on the Ryan Tubridy radio show. Transcript is here http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1727564/posts

I'm more an Aristotle man meself " All things in moderation"