OWC Challenge - count the Kaflicks!

Started by Donagh, January 31, 2008, 02:01:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puckoon

Quote from: The Watcher Pat on February 06, 2008, 07:17:54 PM
On my way home from work there my mate told me theres a fella from his work  from Cavan going to the match.With ashes on his head...Going to support Bulgaria...He's sitting in the spion kop....Brave man....or a silly man?

The sweat will run them off.

Main Street

Quote from: SammyG on February 06, 2008, 07:17:34 PM
Quote from: Main Street on February 06, 2008, 07:12:34 PM
Quote from: SammyG on February 06, 2008, 04:43:10 PM
I have absolutely no idea what that post means.
Where did you hideaway to Sammy, I haven't seen you here since I challenged you to a bet
to either put up or shut on Dec 17     2.19 PM
http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=4321.msg215436#msg215436

Are you still on?
Haven't been on since before Christmas, my laptop blew up and I lost my password.

More than happy to take your bet, especially since all the defectors have come back to the original and best Ireland.  What sort of time period did you have in mind?
I do feel obliged to tell you that Ruairi Harkan has been recalled to the u19 squad and 2 lads from Derry were called up for the first time, David McDaid and Seamus Sharkey.
After telling you that my conscience is clear.

David McDaid was capped last night
http://fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2845
The others will probably be capped in the 2nd game.

What else do you need to know?
How long time period do you want?

SammyG

Quote from: Main Street on February 07, 2008, 12:39:06 AMI do feel obliged to tell you that Ruairi Harkan has been recalled to the u19 squad and 2 lads from Derry were called up for the first time, David McDaid and Seamus Sharkey.

Obviously need to check but I'm 90% sure that, the Derry lads, have only ever represented the RoI and are therefore (obviously) entitled to play for them. The bet is about players switching.

Donagh

Well lads any update on the count? Can't say I saw many people with da ashes on the Lisburn Rd before the match but it was dark. Surely in the light of the stadium you would have noticed loads of them? What about among the English supporters?

nifan

Didnt see any at the match donagh, and saw very few amongst the boyos watching the brazil match in the bar afterwards - maybe more prods than catholics support the ROI as well.

I have to say i noticed less people in general with ashes than usual.

Main Street

Quote from: SammyG on February 07, 2008, 08:09:31 AM
Quote from: Main Street on February 07, 2008, 12:39:06 AMI do feel obliged to tell you that Ruairi Harkan has been recalled to the u19 squad and 2 lads from Derry were called up for the first time, David McDaid and Seamus Sharkey.

Obviously need to check but I'm 90% sure that, the Derry lads, have only ever represented the RoI and are therefore (obviously) entitled to play for them. The bet is about players switching.
The bet is not just about players switching where did you pluck that one from.
You dont have the first clue what international eligibility is about.
How can an uncapped player born, like McDaid born in one federation area qualify for another federation without fulfilling the annex criteria?
The answer is -  the Annex criteria do not apply

Original Post from December
a bet?
SammyG "On what? iIf you mean a bet on whether any NI players (who don't already qualify) will play for the FAI, then I'd take that bet in a heartbeat (and I don't even gamble much)".[/quote]

Main Street "A bet that the current situation, is that players who are Irish citizens born in NI are entitled to declare for the Republic under article 15 paragraph 1-5
That the annex conditions do not apply
That the FAI can select players born in NI who are Irish citizens who have not been previously capped at senior level for NI.
That again the annex conditions do not apply".

Fiodoir Ard Mhacha

Quote from: nifan on February 07, 2008, 11:56:06 AM

I have to say i noticed less people in general with ashes than usual.

A bit like the annual Poppy count then, nifan.

I wonder how Poles identify themselves..
"Something wrong with your eyes?....
Yes, they're sensitive to questions!"

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

nifan

QuoteA bit like the annual Poppy count then, nifan.

very much so

Chrisowc

No self respecting Pole would ever consider himself Polish ::)
it's 'circle the wagons time again' here comes the cavalry!

Fiodoir Ard Mhacha

Quote from: nifan on February 07, 2008, 01:02:59 PM

very much so

Good to see, then, that these annual portrayals of one's culture, identity, tradition or sectarian background are gradually being eradicated from this new island of ours.
"Something wrong with your eyes?....
Yes, they're sensitive to questions!"

Chrisowc

Quote from: Fiodoir Ard Mhacha on February 07, 2008, 01:25:43 PM
Quote from: nifan on February 07, 2008, 01:02:59 PM

very much so

Good to see, then, that these annual portrayals of one's culture, identity, tradition or sectarian background are gradually being eradicated from this new island of ours.

Not sure if you are being sarcastic or serious.  Do you think it is a good thing that less people wear ash or poppies?  Or that there is the perception that less people are doing so anyway.
it's 'circle the wagons time again' here comes the cavalry!

SammyG

Quote from: Main Street on February 07, 2008, 12:50:34 PM
Quote from: SammyG on February 07, 2008, 08:09:31 AM

The bet is not just about players switching where did you pluck that one from.
You dont have the first clue what international eligibility is about.

How can an uncapped player born, like McDaid born in one federation area qualify for another federation without fulfilling the annex criteria?
The answer is -  the Annex criteria do not apply

Original Post from December
a bet?
SammyG "On what? iIf you mean a bet on whether any NI players (who don't already qualify) will play for the FAI, then I'd take that bet in a heartbeat (and I don't even gamble much)".

Main Street "A bet that the current situation, is that players who are Irish citizens born in NI are entitled to declare for the Republic under article 15 paragraph 1-5
That the annex conditions do not apply
That the FAI can select players born in NI who are Irish citizens who have not been previously capped at senior level for NI.
That again the annex conditions do not apply".

[/quote]
you're obviously getting a bit confused as you quote me saying one thing (ie what I actually said) and then accuse me of not saying it? Make your mind up.

p.s. The annex doesn't apply if the players aren't switching (ie if they have never played for a different FA) so e.g. the Derry lads are available to the RoI as they've never represented NI. Players who have represented NI (or any other FA) can only switch if they fulfill the annex conditions. It's not really that difficult.  ::)

Hardy

Main Street

Quote from: SammyG on February 07, 2008, 02:05:39 PM
you're obviously getting a bit confused as you quote me saying one thing (ie what I actually said) and then accuse me of not saying it? Make your mind up.

p.s. The annex doesn't apply if the players aren't switching (ie if they have never played for a different FA) so e.g. the Derry lads are available to the RoI as they've never represented NI. Players who have represented NI (or any other FA) can only switch if they fulfill the annex conditions. It's not really that difficult.  ::)
Either the annex conditions apply or they do not apply.
There is no inbetween situation where only uncapped players are exempt from the Annex criteria.

How can a any player born in NI play for the Republic if the annex rules apply?
According to the Annex rules, a player (uncapped or capped) born in one federation cannot declare for another unless he fulfills the Annex criteria.
The Annex criteria covers all players born in another federation not just capped players.

EG  Clinton Morrison uncapped at any level for any other country has to comply with the Annex criteria in order to play for the Republic a simple passport/citizenship is not enough.

So an uncapped player, born in NI (and not fulfilling any of the annex criteria), declaring for the Republic is evidence that the Annex rules do not apply.

So also it follows that a NI capped player can switch federations if under 21 and uncapped at senior level.
Both examples are equally  concrete proof that the Annex criteria do not apply.