GAA back in the NewsLetter

Started by Maguire01, January 28, 2008, 09:51:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maguire01

From today's Irish News:

QuoteUnionist paper resumes coverage of Gaelic games By Rebecca Black
28/01/08

The News Letter has resumed its coverage of Gaelic games following the first appearance of a senior DUP politician at a GAA match.

Around four years ago the Belfast-based unionist title halted all coverage of the biggest spectator sport in Northern Ireland.

This included not providing any sports reports of Ulster GAA's biggest days, including when Tyrone lifted the All-Ireland trophy at Croke Park in 2005.

However, last week saw the newspaper embrace GAA once more, with a report of a Dr McKenna Cup match and a feature on ladies' football.

It follows the decision of culture, arts and leisure minister Edwin Poots to attend a Dr McKenna Cup game between Down and Donegal at Pairc Esler in Newry earlier this month.

The News Letter editor Darwin Templeton said the decision to restart coverage was to provide a better service to readers.

"Until quite recently the News Letter did have a tradition of covering GAA," Mr Templeton said.

"This was a practice that was stopped a number of years ago for a number of different reasons before I was involved with the paper."

He said the paper felt there was an interest among its readership for the sports.

"I don't think we will pretend to offer the same extent of coverage that other papers including The Irish News do," he said.

"But we are always looking at ways of improving our service to our readers
."

J70

What will their coverage amount to? Brief reports of games and injury news, or will they have a bit of analysis and opinion?

armaghniac

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Maguire01

Quote from: J70 on January 28, 2008, 10:40:41 PM
What will their coverage amount to? Brief reports of games and injury news, or will they have a bit of analysis and opinion?
Does it really matter? It's a start. It's not like it's going to rival the Irish News, rather it must show that their own current readers have an interest.  Surely that's a move in the right direction.

Main Street

Won't do any harm.
But I  didn't see anything GAA related in the online edition of the Newsletter.

What is the difference between the Telegraph and the Newsletter?

Orior

The Belfast Telegraph bury gaelic coverage in the inside pages and consistantly get their GAA headlines and scores wrong.

The move by the newsletter is to be welcomed - more people will start to read about it and discover its not a threat and actually quite interesting. Unfortunately, it will be more words than pictures which wont be much good for the underprivileged loyalist.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Doogie Browser

Quote from: Doogie Browser on January 24, 2008, 02:12:24 PM
Related in a way to this thread I suppose. but todays Newsletter has a full page interview with Bronagh O'Donnell the Armagh Ladies Captain, the journalist was Richard Bullick, it was a very well researched (as fas as my knowldge of Ladies Football goes) and he was very effusive in his respect for her.  One complaint though he compared her to famous captains and mentioned Galwey (Mick) fair enough I suppose and Bailie (Noel - the Linfield skipper!)
Just thought it was strange as I would browse the Newsletter now and again and cannot recall such prominence for a GAA related article.

I included the above in the BBC & UTV thread last week, these Irish News journalists (and others) are forever sourcing material from this board, think we may have a copyright issue on our hands!

red hander

Dan McKinney used to do the GAA in the News Letter but it was 99% about Antrim

bennydorano

Quote from: red hander on January 29, 2008, 11:35:34 AM
Dan McKinney used to do the GAA in the News Letter but it was 99% about Antrim

Yip, I remember reading his report on the 2002 AIF in the Newsletter.  It was one column and near the length of the paper, not very extensive but what do you expect.

Maguire01

orangeman

What is the world coming to  ??? What next ????

magickingdom

Quote from: Maguire01 on January 28, 2008, 09:51:06 PM
From today's Irish News:

QuoteUnionist paper resumes coverage of Gaelic games By Rebecca Black
28/01/08

The News Letter has resumed its coverage of Gaelic games following the first appearance of a senior DUP politician at a GAA match.

Around four years ago the Belfast-based unionist title halted all coverage of the biggest spectator sport in Northern Ireland.

This included not providing any sports reports of Ulster GAA's biggest days, including when Tyrone lifted the All-Ireland trophy at Croke Park in 2005.

so i can take it, that they've ignored kerry all these years  ;)

orangeman

I don't think there'll be too many Newsletters sold around Tyrone all the same.  ;) ;) :D :D ;D ;D ;D ;D