Spotlight on BBC 6 Counties tomorrow night

Started by T Fearon, January 28, 2008, 04:34:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

full back

Quote from: T Fearon on January 30, 2008, 04:35:20 PM
Also Eamon Mc Cann rightly pointed out that the majority of Northern Nationalists supported England in 2005.

How so?

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: full back on January 30, 2008, 04:43:49 PM
Also Eamon Mc Cann rightly pointed out that the majority of Northern Nationalists supported England in 2005.

How so?

Aye Tone, I don't know anyone who supported England in 2005!
Tbc....

Hardy

On the positive side fair play to Felix Healy for drawing attention to the sectarian rampant in Northern soccer

Would that be you?

ziggysego

Yet when they went up the Falls Road to ask if they supported Norn Iron or England last year, everyone said Norn Iron...
Testing Accessibility

new devil

feetofflames

Chief Wiggum

Evil Genius

You poor, deluded idiot.

Whether correct or not with his observation (majority of NI Nats supporting England), McCann was using that to illustrate that just as there are bigots on the Unionist side who infect soccer in NI, they also have their exact counterparts on the Nationalist side, who are so prejudiced that they'd sooner support England - their oppressor for 800 years - than lend support to their fellow Irish neighbours. Mirror image, Chuckle Brothers and all that?

Anyhow, by the way he also pointed out that the NI team is just as valid a choice for an Irishman as the ROI team, plus his Blazers with Buttons remark, I actually thought the boul Eamonn's contribution was the second* most valuable in the whole programme.

* - After Spurs and NI Legend Gerry Armstrong, of course!  ;)
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

stiffler

Quote from: Evil Genius on January 30, 2008, 06:52:29 PM

You poor, deluded idiot.

Whether correct or not with his observation (majority of NI Nats supporting England), McCann was using that to illustrate that just as there are bigots on the Unionist side who infect soccer in NI, they also have their exact counterparts on the Nationalist side, who are so prejudiced that they'd sooner support England - their oppressor for 800 years - than lend support to their fellow Irish neighbours.

So what you are trying to say is that northern nationalists who support and follow the republic are bigots? :S
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

T Fearon

Actually Mc Cann's point was that such is the degree of alienation from the IFA team, experienced by Northern Nationalists, that they would actually prefer to see the team beaten by anyone...even England. Now who is responsible for this scenario? Answers on a postcard, email, or 30p phone call, to Windsor Avenue

ziggysego

But surely Tony, the following bit when the BBC went out to the streets of Belfast proved Eamon wrong.
Testing Accessibility

T Fearon

Two people on the Falls hardly constitutes a straw poll. I myself wanted Engalnd to win that night as did most nationalists. Alan Mc Bride in his Sunday Life column said he watched the North East of Ireland V Denmark game recently, and the whole pub in N Belfast was cheering for Denmark. Mc Cann had it right

ziggysego

Funny, I was supporting Norn Iron. Any Nationalist I spoke to was of the same mindset.
Testing Accessibility

full back

Fearon, it is shocking you are so bigotted you cant see the wood for the trees
Supporting Denmark against NI is no comparison at all with supporting England against NI

BTW, WTF was Lawro at ???
When picking the best 11 players on the island he had John O Shea in central midfield

stiffler

Lawros team:

Given

Hughes
Finnan
Dunne
Evans

O 'Shea
Carsley

McGeady
Keane
Healy
Duff

I wouldnt have Hughes near that team, move O'shea left back and finna right back. That leaves a spot in centre midfield, possibly Steven or Andy Reid to fill in.

You would have a strong bench with the likes of Doyle and Lafferty.
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

Evil Genius

Quote from: stiffler on January 30, 2008, 06:59:03 PM
Quote from: Evil Genius on January 30, 2008, 06:52:29 PM

You poor, deluded idiot.

Whether correct or not with his observation (majority of NI Nats supporting England), McCann was using that to illustrate that just as there are bigots on the Unionist side who infect soccer in NI, they also have their exact counterparts on the Nationalist side, who are so prejudiced that they'd sooner support England - their oppressor for 800 years - than lend support to their fellow Irish neighbours.

So what you are trying to say is that northern nationalists who support and follow the republic are bigots? :S

Good grief, you're worse than Fearon!

What I'm saying is that northern Nats who support England, solely because they are playing NI (i.e. their fellow Irishmen) are exhibiting the exact same bigotry as those "Loyalists" [sic] who e.g. booed Lennon for signing for Celtic.

I don't expect every northern Nat to have supported NI when they played England, though if the posters on this Board are indicative, then it is encouraging that a fair a number did.

But support their Saxon Oppressors?

Some Irish Nationalists those are, eh?  ::)
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"