Spotlight on BBC 6 Counties tomorrow night

Started by T Fearon, January 28, 2008, 04:34:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TacadoirArdMhacha

To be honest its a bit disappointing to hear players saying they'll play for the best team or the one that approaches them first. I understand why they all want to play international football to further their careers but it'd be nice to see some national pride. At 23 I think Mark McChrystal can't change to ROI anyway.

Disappointed that the FAI didn't go on camera and defend their position, especially considering they have a much stronger case than Howard Wells.

All in all, I didn't hear that much I didn't already know.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Chrisowc

Quote from: saffron sam2 on January 29, 2008, 08:30:51 AM
Indeed it will. This issue cannot be investigated without looking at the reasons why young nationalists feel uncomfortable playing for NI, what role (if any) the history of blatant sectarianism within football in the north may have had in their decision, what role (if any) the IFA's insistence on GSTQ and the Ulster banner may have had in their decision etc. or it is just gloryhunting?

Gloryhunting it is then.
it's 'circle the wagons time again' here comes the cavalry!

magickingdom

Quote from: Chrisowc on January 29, 2008, 11:16:11 PM
Indeed it will. This issue cannot be investigated without looking at the reasons why young nationalists feel uncomfortable playing for NI, what role (if any) the history of blatant sectarianism within football in the north may have had in their decision, what role (if any) the IFA's insistence on GSTQ and the Ulster banner may have had in their decision etc. or it is just gloryhunting?

Gloryhunting it is then.

get over it. and what would you call guys from the north who want to play for the roi but dont make it and then play for the north?

Doogie Browser

Very poor show I thought.
But was glad the likes of Felix Healy highlighted that the IFA did not actively pursue players from the north West when he was at Derry.  For years underage teams be they schoolboy, U19, U21 have systematically ignored people from the North West.
Its the old 'I want the better looking car' scenario the IFA seen the FAI attracting players they didn't even realise were eligible and then kicked up a fuss.  Your man Wells didn't even have an insight into the amount of people affected.  Although to be fair at least he faced the camera.

Eamon McCann - what a legend though eh?

nifan

Only caught the end of the show as i was playing football (scouts from neither NI or ROI present >:() but it looked the same old.

The main point it knocked home to me is how much i dislike howard wells

Chrisowc

Quote from: magickingdom on January 29, 2008, 11:21:12 PM
Quote from: Chrisowc on January 29, 2008, 11:16:11 PM

Gloryhunting it is then.

get over it. and what would you call guys from the north who want to play for the roi but dont make it and then play for the north?

I was being flippant but that is more or less what it a lot of it boils down to.  That, and typical IFA incompetence.  I don't care who plays for 'the north' so long as he gives 100% for the shirt.

Chrisowc

Quote from: Doogie Browser on January 29, 2008, 11:23:03 PM

The type of people who wear suits and polish the buttons! :D

Doogie Browser

Quote from: Chrisowc on January 29, 2008, 11:28:16 PM
Quote from: Doogie Browser on January 29, 2008, 11:23:03 PM

The type of people who wear suits and polish the buttons! :D

The man is a walking soundbite, always entertaining.

Solomon Kane

Quote from: magickingdom on January 29, 2008, 08:58:01 PM
Quote from: Solomon Kane on January 29, 2008, 08:20:01 PM
[

There have been plenty of nationalists who have represented Northern Ireland at all sorts of activities

care to name one?

Eamonn Magee - Commonwealth games.

Main Street

Quote from: magickingdom on January 29, 2008, 11:21:12 PM
Failures?

thejuice

Quote from: thejuice on January 29, 2008, 11:12:14 AM
it is just gloryhunting?

Were talking about joining the ROI squad, you can rule glory-hunting out  :D  ,we're not Brazil either you know

To quote myself from page 2,
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

his holiness nb

Quote from: Evil Genius on January 29, 2008, 06:20:13 PM
Quote from: his holiness nb on January 29, 2008, 05:55:30 PM

But re the "some of my best freinds are black" defence. Some of the OWC boys are the worst offenders here. I dont know how many times its been mentioned that guys go to games with nationalist, or catholic freinds to NI games.

You are falsely conflating about two different things when you compare Fearons "defence", with those OWC fans who point out that a number of NI fans come from a Catholic/Nationalist background.

Re. the former, Fearon consistently slates the IFA/NI team etc on the basis that they're "sectarian", "monocultural" etc and uses this as a basis for his criticism of anyone associated with them. However, with his reference to Gerry Armstrong, he revealed that he simply hates anyone connected with the team in an utterly unreasonable and prejudiced manner. Of course, having realised that he had let his mask slip, he attempted to retrieve the situation. First, he attempted to defend himself by pretending he only meant someone should "have a word with" Armstrong - a palpable lie. So next he came out with the amazing revelation about NI fans that he would, in fact, have them "about the house" - as if that somehow proves his liberal and tolerant credentials.

Whereas, with the latter, OWC fans only point to the small (but increasing) number of NI fans from a Catholic/Nationalist background who attend NI games in order to demonstrate what can only be a good thing - namely that they want the NI team to be open to all. Therefore, it is not a question of our being "offenders" like Fearon with something to "defend" or conceal - we are proud of it for its own sake.

And for the record, whilst it is still a minority and we still have our share of meatheads in our support, in each of the last four NI matches I personally have attended, home and away, it has been in mixed company.

Onwards and Upwards   

EG I get your point, and am not saying who is right or wrog here, as I have already give my opinion on that, but just pointing out that when Fearon points out how very few catholics go to games, out comes the OWC boys with reports of nationalist freinds being with them at the last game.

Note, I am NOT saying anyone is telling lies, just pointing out that you need to give the benefit of the doubt when these things are said. If you say you go to games with nationalists Nifan,  Ibelieve you, even though I have no way of proving it, and these reports do help the image some have of the OWC so some skeptical people might say its bullshit.

Same goes with Tony. He has come out with some shite on here, but that doesnt mean we should automatically dismiss it when he says he has OWC relations.
Ask me holy bollix

spiritof91and94

Quote from: magickingdom on January 29, 2008, 08:58:01 PM
Quote from: Solomon Kane on January 29, 2008, 08:20:01 PM
[

There have been plenty of nationalists who have represented Northern Ireland at all sorts of activities

care to name one?

Martin McGuinness....

nifan

hhn, Fearon has stated that he knows NO catholics who support NI.
He has also continually insulted and derided NI fans, and now he pulls out these 2 nephews. I wonder does he class them as the same as the NI fans he is so keen to attack in general.

his holiness nb

Quote from: nifan on January 30, 2008, 10:17:28 AM
hhn, Fearon has stated that he knows NO catholics who support NI.
He has also continually insulted and derided NI fans, and now he pulls out these 2 nephews. I wonder does he class them as the same as the NI fans he is so keen to attack in general.

Ok you may have a point, but it was the whole "I have lots of black freinds" comment from EG that got me thinking.

It is possible however that the nephews are protestants of course. Jayus I hope they dont read this site!  :o
Ask me holy bollix