GAA ODDS

Started by ONeill, November 10, 2006, 10:36:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GalwayBayBoy

Are you suggesting that Emmetts threw the game?

An Laoch

He's suggesting its a possibility he hasnt been able to rule out yet much as he wants to. That's clear as bell from his post GBB. You are acting like a journalist looking for a quote to write a cheap story?

Lone Shark

I am saying that the team that won the All Ireland at this grade played at home, with two new recruits while supposedly going well and lost 0-16 to 0-4 when a lot of very very dodgy people saw it coming. If it was fluke, and just a one off bad day for no reason, these people would not have bet - they do not bet for fun, and they do not bet because they fancy a team - they only bet when they have information not in the public domain.

I have scoured match reports and discussion boards looking for someone to tell me that Emmets had an illness in the camp, a tragedy within the club, a falling out at training leading to a load of guys not showing, a wedding the previous day of one of the players - anything, basically. I'm not naive enough to think that there won't be games over the course of a year where punters will know stuff I don't - I'm just one guy. However in almost all cases, afterwards the facts come to light. Here it hasn't, and the combination of that and the fallout that I have suffered does trouble me a bit.

That clears it all up I hope.

An Laoch

LS, my own experience in betting gaa is that once bookies figure out you are not a mug, a bit selective, and generally only backing prices out of line, they restrict your account - generally to a point where you can only play for fun rather than profit - while helping to mark the traders' card.

On your own admission the guys who got the bets on were 'very very dodgy'. How did they manage to get the bets on without the plug being pulled on the market or their bets being restricted to pennies?

Lone Shark

Depends on the bookie. I don't like to restrict guys to absolute buttons for the simple reason that when you have 250 shops on the island of Ireland, all that happens is that you drive them into having cash bets and you never hear about what they bet on. So while I won't let guys win thousands on a game like that, it still defeats the purpose cutting them back to a max of €50/£50. All that means is that the game will be played with no liability known to me and the sh**storm will hit on Monday instead when the bets are phoned in. So instead I try to make sure that games like that are for phones/online only, or on request in shops, except those in the area of participants.

The guys all came in within a few minutes overnight - they didn't win a fortune or anything, but enough to make people ask questions about the game, and the landslide result made things a lot worse.

Incidentally, I don't want to give these particular punters credit they don't deserve - they are not good judges, they are simply thieves who will always be there whenever there is a wrong throw in time, dodgy information, bent dog races, technical pricing errors etc. I have nothing but respect for guys who can look up and down a card of national league games like this weekend, pick out two or three teams and have a few large singles and turn a profit over the course of a year - we have some of those too. In case anyone reading might know someone involved, these are not shrewd punters who deserve credit - they are the gambling equivalent of benefit fraudsters. All the more reason why I wish I could put this to bed.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: An Laoch on February 02, 2008, 09:21:33 AM
He's suggesting its a possibility he hasnt been able to rule out yet much as he wants to. That's clear as bell from his post GBB. You are acting like a journalist looking for a quote to write a cheap story?

Calm down man and untangle your knickers. I was just asking the question as it seems a fairly serious accusation (I realise Lone Shark isn't accusing anybody of anything right now).

Louth Exile

Quote from: Lone Shark on February 02, 2008, 03:03:54 AM
My problem is that right now I have no idea why Emmets were such no-hopers in that game, and until I know, I can't rule out the unpleasant conclusion. I've only genuinely believed the worst once in any championship GAA game of any kind (that farce with the Down hurlers last year) and I don't want to believe it now either

I was watching the Louth video from the 2006 NFL yesterday and it just reminded me how Cavan didn't qualify for Div 1 that year. Louth had hammered Waterford in the previous round in terrible conditions down in Waterford and had gained promotion. All that Cavan needed to do was win their final game against Waterford in Brefni park. Against all odds they lost and because Westmeath beat Louth in their final game it was Westmeath that went up and not Cavan. There was question marks over this result if you remember it yourself LS, did you suspect anything dodgy at the time??

I had a Ladbrokes account myself years ago (horse betting only) and just stopped using it, I assume it would still be there in a dormant state. I have to give you credit for your efforts with the GAA markets in Ladbrokes LS and I think you are worthy of our support with our GAA bets. If I PM'd you my details would you be able to tell me if the account is still there, or what is the best way of contacting your customer service dept to find this out??
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

Our Nail Loney

Anyone know of anywhere posting up Sigerson odds since the Ryan Cup and various county uni competitions have been completed?

Lone Shark

Quote from: Louth Exile on February 04, 2008, 11:19:49 AM

I was watching the Louth video from the 2006 NFL yesterday and it just reminded me how Cavan didn't qualify for Div 1 that year. Louth had hammered Waterford in the previous round in terrible conditions down in Waterford and had gained promotion. All that Cavan needed to do was win their final game against Waterford in Brefni park. Against all odds they lost and because Westmeath beat Louth in their final game it was Westmeath that went up and not Cavan. There was question marks over this result if you remember it yourself LS, did you suspect anything dodgy at the time??

I had a Ladbrokes account myself years ago (horse betting only) and just stopped using it, I assume it would still be there in a dormant state. I have to give you credit for your efforts with the GAA markets in Ladbrokes LS and I think you are worthy of our support with our GAA bets. If I PM'd you my details would you be able to tell me if the account is still there, or what is the best way of contacting your customer service dept to find this out??

Nothing dodgy was suspected at the time, because there was no significant amount of money for either side in that game. The whole point of this is not that strange results can't happen - of course they can, that's the whole point of playing in the first place, the unpredictability of it all. Where the alarm bells start to win is where some people are able to predict the supposedly unpredictable - and these people have a track record of being in the vicinity when dodgy stuff is afoot. The fact that no-one on this board has been able to chip in and say why Emmets had such an off-day is not encouraging either.

As for the account, yeah that should be fine. Send me your name and email address used to register it and I should be able to dredge it up. Not the password mind - you'd have to request to customer service that that be changed, I couldn't do that for you. (Fraud and all that)

Don

Quote from: drici on February 11, 2008, 04:28:22 PM
4/6    Offaly
9/4    Antrim
10/1  Wicklow
16/1  Tipperary
33/1   Carlow
100/1 Clare
100/1 Waterford
500/1 London

are these odds to lift the cup or top the league table ?, what about kilkenny ?

prettyboyfloyd

Loneshark, you had betting up for regular season winners of all NHL divisions, but after the weekends games theres only 1B up now, will you be putting the rest up again?

King of Kilskerry

Quote from: prettyboyfloyd on February 12, 2008, 03:10:18 PM
Loneshark, you had betting up for regular season winners of all NHL divisions, but after the weekends games theres only 1B up now, will you be putting the rest up again?

maybe im wrong but how do you expect to better boyles and pp if you dont even price the matches and outrights. they have had them up since monday ?
I wouldnt be big punter by any means and have opened a ladbrokes account purely for the gaa but in the last few months the product is not even on a par with other 2 companies

Homer

I think they just put the shackles on him in regards to the range of markets he can offer.

Lone Shark

Quote from: hardstation on February 13, 2008, 02:39:05 PM
Did Lone Shark not get the heave ho for making a ballix of the odds on a club championship match?
Either that or they have almost stopped giving GAA Odds because of it.

Not quite, but it was a catalyst towards a change of ethos, put it that way. I was warning all along that people were happily betting on the games I'd do that the other lads wouldn't, but fecking off back to PP or Boyles for the games we all had, so it was bound to take a toll eventually.

Incidentally the only outrights currently up that I don't have are Boyles doing the hurling as if Cork have pulled out - they must know something I don't.

Matches will be up tonight - as it always was. Sorry about the reduced service, but until I can give my superiors an explanation about what happened in that Emmets/Larkins game, I'll always be shot down on that point.

Nimbus

What happened? Did you cause Ladbrokes to be cleaned out?