NFL Div. 2

Started by donelli, January 25, 2008, 11:28:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thejuice

Im confident that we can hold our own, but there isnt an easy game in the whole schedule. Meath dont always do that great in the League. There were a few disapointing campaigns in the last few years under Sean Boylen. Dont know whats gonna happen this weekend with thie cork situation though. will there even be a game??
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

his holiness nb

They have to confirm the fixtures at 11am today Juice.
Rumour has it they will postpone the game to next week to give Cork more time.

Bad form IMO, if you cant field a team on the scheduled date it should be a walkover along with a fine or further punishment.
Ask me holy bollix

mackers

Jaysus lads, ye don't have to fight with the nordies every time ye come up! There's hasn't been a bloodbath in Crossmaglen in years and I don't imagine there'll be one when ye visit either. That sort of chat is a bit OTT!!
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

his holiness nb

Quote from: mackers on January 30, 2008, 10:24:32 AM
Jaysus lads, ye don't have to fight with the nordies every time ye come up! There's hasn't been a bloodbath in Crossmaglen in years and I don't imagine there'll be one when ye visit either. That sort of chat is a bit OTT!!

Mackers, just to clarify, I dont think that way, I was just interpreting what I thought Hound meant. I could be wrong though as a few people took his comments to mean it would be a one sided game.
Ask me holy bollix

mackers

That's OK, holiness, it's just it's one match that I'm really looking forward to, we'll have the Cross men back and there should be a real championship feel to that match. Armagh won't want to start the rough stuff (despite what Hound thinks) as the wheel has now turned full circle and the Dubs would be a much more physical team than us!!
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

his holiness nb

Quote from: mackers on January 30, 2008, 11:30:59 AM
That's OK, holiness, it's just it's one match that I'm really looking forward to, we'll have the Cross men back and there should be a real championship feel to that match. Armagh won't want to start the rough stuff (despite what Hound thinks) as the wheel has now turned full circle and the Dubs would be a much more physical team than us!!

Should be good, a Holiness birthday trip that day!
Ask me holy bollix

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Hound on January 30, 2008, 07:13:52 AM
Dublin team for Westmeath

S Cluxton
D Henry, N O'Shea, S O'Shaughnessy
P McMahon, P Casey, C Moran
E Fennell, S Ryan
B Cullen, J O'Brien, B Brogan
J Sherlock, C Keaney, M Vaughan

Strong enough forward line but there's a lot of weaknesses in the backs, depends on who we have available/turns out...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Hound

Quote from: mackers on January 30, 2008, 11:30:59 AM

My comments were a little tongue in cheek, however there is history between the sides, even if its getting towards the ancient history. IMO both teams will have the attitude of "we're not going to get bullied, and if they start anything we'll stand up for ourselves". And inevitably a small incident will set off a mill...

armaghniac

The tone of the St Vincents/Cross match could be have a role in setting scene for the Armagh/Dublin game. But there is no need for Dublin to fight every time they come to Ulster, sure Cross is only 2km from Leinster.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Hound

Quote from: armaghniac on January 30, 2008, 12:19:31 PM
The tone of the St Vincents/Cross match could be have a role in setting scene for the Armagh/Dublin game. But there is no need for Dublin to fight every time they come to Ulster, sure Cross is only 2km from Leinster.
Indeed, there is no need for you Northerners to get fisty with us. Let's play football.

Cross will have to play well below par for Vins to have any chance of victory.

donelli

Monaghan are playing host to Roscommon this sunday..
Any ross fans on here: what do ye make of your chances this sunday?

BallyhaiseMan

I expected good thing from the Rossies last year after they demolished us in Croker,
Cathal Cregg and Ger Heneghan looked particularly impressive up front, as did big Seamie and Michael Finneran at Centre Field,
They just flattered to deceive after that.

heineken_on_tap

Quote from: donelli on January 31, 2008, 01:58:09 PM

Just looking at our team there - seriously young team, there are 5 minors from 2006 all making their  league debuts. I dont think the lads will fear Monaghan in any way but can't seeing us doing the business with such an inexperienced team on this occassion. After last years chamopionship you would have to fancy Monaghan in this one.

Rudi

Have not met a Rossie who expects to win this one, Ros are a team for the future where as Monaghan will be expecting to build on their excellent year gone by. The Ros backline is weak, the forwards are good (with Dolan & Dunning on the bench) I expect Ros to test Monaghan, under Maughan we tend to start slow & finish slow with a midlan in between. Generous odds of 3/1 to win this game - I will keep my money in my pocket.

Ryano

Its hard to know what they will do. FB line is the weakest point of the team at the moment due to injuries to our regular corner players and a dodgy (at the best of times) No.3. The CHB line while undoubtedly talented contains 2 of the AI winning minor team from 2006 making their senior debuts so i'm sure their inexperience will have a lot to do with Sundays result. After these 2 line though it gets stronger. Shaq O'Neill in the middle on his game is as good a fielder of the ball as another player in the country. However he rarely lives up to this and gets involved in niggly sh1te with opposition players more often then not. This year Mark O'Carroll from St Brigids joins him in the middle of the park and he is an out standing player at club level. Time will tell if he can carry that form to the county side. If he does he will turn into a player in the Sean Cavanagh mold. Runs and runs up and down the pitch and never seems to run out of steam.

CHF line is particularly strong for Sunday. Cathal Cregg and Conor Devanney on either wing are speedy ball carrying types who run at defenders and draw the foul or leave them in their dust. Cregg (20) in particular is going to be a fantastic footballer and major things are expected of him in years to come. Karl Mannion is 11 and can play at FF or in the middle too. Good ball winner and can kick off either foot. Another from the St Brigids club who has been in good form at club level.

FF line is not bad either with Heneghan in one corner and Enda Kenny at 14. On the bench then you have Frankie Dolan, Jonny Dunning and Donal Shine another of the minors who is coming back from suspension.

If the team plays as well as they appear on paper then it will be a good competative match. However all to often they flatter to deceive and are way to inconsistant as individuals and a team to predict how the hell they will play. Most Rossies expect to loose and struggle to stay up but at the same time it would not be that big a surprise if they turn around and do the exact opposite.

Is there any danger of the game or others for that matter being postponed by the way? We are due some pretty cold weather this weekend by all accounts.