Fermanagh Football & Hurling

Started by Erne Gael, November 10, 2006, 10:30:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you agree with the new Summer League for Club teams?

Yes, gives the club players plenty of matches
23 (50%)
No, rather play challenge matches
4 (8.7%)
Waste of time, won't be taken seriously
19 (41.3%)

Total Members Voted: 45

FermPundit

Charlie Mulgrew was always criticised for not giving all players an opportunity on the senior squad but the same can not be said of Malachy O'Rourke. I can't think of one player that should have got a trail and didn't. He has looked everywhere within the county for new players and I applaud him for doing this. Of the first 15 that lined out today how many would you include in your first choice chamionship side? Only Martin McGrath and James Sherry would be guaranteed starters IMO. All these youngs lads have tasted competitive football and this can only benefit Fermanagh football long term.

With regards the game today we have always known that Fermanagh have a very strong defence. Our main problem has always been getting scores. Whilst we only scored 8 points today I wouldn't be too concerned. When our strongest forward line has been selected there appears to be an improvement in our ability to turn possession into scores. To score 2-37 in the 3 McKenna cup games emphasises this point.

Whilst Liam McBarron has battled well at full foward I don't think this will be a long term solution. Yes, Stevie Maguire is the man we would love to see back in the number 14 jersey but if he doesn't make himself available do we have another viable option on the edge of the square??

Overall this has been a positive McKenna campaign and there appears to be a bit of buzz among the Fermanagh squad and supporters alike. Hopefully Malachy O'Rourke will get the lads focused in training and get them geared up for a hard NFL campaign in what will be a very hard and competitive division 3.

2008 has started reasonable well. Lets hope we can build on this momentum and maybe enjoy a wee bit of success this season.
We'll win Ulster some day, not sure when.

inisceithleann

Excellent reporting ExiledGael, it's great for those of us not able to get to the games. Looks like it's the same old for Fermanagh, having a total inability to score from play. But as the lads have said that was a very young inexperienced side out there yesterday, maybe 4/5 of them would make the championship XV. So with the McKenna cup finished (will almost anyway), any ideas as to who is going to survive O'Rourke's cull? We have to add Shane McCabe and Clucker to the championship mix as well. Still I think selecting our best XV won't be that difficult.
Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth

FermGael

taken from www.impartialreporter.com
QuoteRyan McCluskey has given Fermanagh manager Malachy O'Rourke a major boost ahead of the National League campaign by committing to the Fermanagh cause for the remainder of the year.

McCluskey has quit Irish Premier League side Dungannon Swifts to commit solely to Fermanagh, and the news is sure to be greatly received by management and supporters alike, especially after it was revealed that All Star defender Barry Owens has to undergo a minor heart operation.

The stylish Enniskillen Gaels defender walked away from the panel last year following a disagreement with then manager Charlie Mulgrew but the lure of representing Fermanagh again has proved too much for the player, who is guaranteed to play a key role for the side this year.

McCluskey, who has been unhappy with a number of things at Dungannon in recent months, informed Swifts' manager Harry Fay of his decision to return to gaelic football on Tuesday night, although he does hope to return to the Irish League next season with a number of clubs believed to be interested in recruiting him.

"I thought it was the right time to go back to Fermanagh. I have always stated that I love playing for Fermanagh and I'm delighted to be back involved. Malachy made it known to me from the start that he wanted me to be involved this year and I was very keen to comeback. The big appeal to me was the set up and structure that was in place this year. I've been very impressed with everything that Malachy is trying to do, the set up is very professional and I can't wait to get back in the jersey," said McCluskey.

And O'Rourke is delighted to have the highly rated player on board for the season.

"I said when I took the job that I wanted all the best players on board and Ryan definitely fits into that category. He is a quality player and I'm delighted that he has chosen to join the panel," commented O'Rourke.

McCluskey made his debut for Fermanagh back in 2001 under John Maughan and has been an integral part of team since having played under Dom Corrigan and Charlie Mulgrew. He turned in a series of quality performances during Fermanagh's run to the All Ireland semi-final in 2004.

A difference of opinion with Mulgrew saw the dual player leave the panel during the National League last year, and the player is delighted to see the back of 2007, a year he describes as "the worst of my life," after a number of personal difficulties including the death of his father, Oliver.

"There's no doubt that I'm glad to see 2007 finish, it was the worst year of my life. My father passed away after illness and it was a very difficult time for all the family. I was then in hospital with a heart scare which brought further worry and at the end of the year I was involved in a car crash from which I was lucky to come away with minor injuries," said Ryan.

He added: "I'm looking forward to this year with Fermanagh, and hopefully we can have some success. The season has started positively with a couple of wins in the McKenna Cup and if we can get the basics right and build some consistency then hopefully we can have a successful league campaign. There is a strong squad of players and there is no reason why we shouldn't be playing in a higher division, that would be the first aim for the season."

McCluskey is currently out with a hip injury but he is hopeful that he will be able to return for the start of the league.

"I'm due to receive a cortisone injection and that will hopefully clear things up for me without the need for an operation. I want to get the injuries cleared up and then hopefully force my way into Malachy's plans. I would be keen to be back for the first or second game of the league although I know I'm going to have to fight for my place because there is good competition for places within the squad," he said.

While the player will concentrate on Fermanagh for the remainder of the season, he is keen to return to the Irish League next season, although that is unlikely to be with Dungannon Swifts. Dungannon will retain McCluskey's registration but Fay has assured him that they will not stand in his way if another club comes in for him over the summer.

"As I've said, I'm going to concentrate on Fermanagh for the remainder of the year but I do want to go back to the Irish League next year. I think things have run their course at Dungannon, there has been a number of things that I've not been happy with at the club recently, but I would like to go back and test myself with another club next season if given the chance," he explained.

Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

ExiledGael

Great news for us, though wonder how serious the hip injury really is, doesn't sound good.
As for Barry Owens glad the county board released a statement calling for privacy for him and his family. The story was rife in Fermanagh for a month or two now. Hope the operation goes well and he can get back to full health.
Probably not right to expect a return this year especially given he's due to be married later in the year.

inisceithleann

Quote from: ExiledGael on January 17, 2008, 07:10:31 PM
Great news for us, though wonder how serious the hip injury really is, doesn't sound good.
As for Barry Owens glad the county board released a statement calling for privacy for him and his family. The story was rife in Fermanagh for a month or two now. Hope the operation goes well and he can get back to full health.
Probably not right to expect a return this year especially given he's due to be married later in the year.

Great news about Clucker coming back, he's a classy player and probably one of the best defenders in Ulster on his day. As regards Owens, any surgery on your heart cannot be taken lightly and he should take plently of time out, but replacing him at full back will be a struggle. Anyone know when the league/championship panel will be announced?

ExiledGael

Haven't heard about the panel but you could have a decent guess

Keepers: CHRIS BREEN, Fergal Murphy, Ronan Gallagher (dunno what's up with Tinney but to go from young player of the year to whatever he is now is a big let down)

Defence: NIALL BOGUE, SHANE GOAN, Shane McDermott, Raymie Johnston, SHANE LYONS, Paddy Mohan, Damien Kelly, TOM McELROY, Declan O'Reilly, RYAN McCLUSKEY, Barry Mulrone

Midfield: MARTY McGRATH, MARK MURPHY, JAMES SHERRY, Liam McBarron

Forwards: SHAUN DOHERTY, EAMON MAGUIRE, MARK LITTLE, Pat Cadden, Matthew Keenan, Paul Ward, Ciaran McElroy, Ryan Keenan

Still very defence heavy, as always. For me I would put Shane McDermott at full-back, unless the opposing full-forward is a pacy nimble player. He has a great presence and strength about him and has always done well there when moved back. No doubt Owens is a huge loss though. Our only player that would get on every team in the country.
Players capped up I would have in the first xv for Championship, with one of the midfielders at 11 or 14

FermPundit

Excellent news on clucker. If he's fit and well he'll add a bit of class and experience to the backline. I'm not sure about McDermott at full back . He's a good half back going forward but he has always been a little suspect at defending and man marking IMO. I think Paddy Mohan should be given a good run of games at full back. I have always been very impressed with him any time I have seen him play. He has been around club football for a while and I reckon he deserves his chance at this level.

I think Niall Tinney is in Scotland at the moment hence why he has been involved in the county set up so far this season.

I can't argue with that squad that you have named Exiled. I was thinking it's an awful shame Ryan Carson won't commit to Fermanagh. He'd be a useful fella to have in midfield or the edge of the square!
We'll win Ulster some day, not sure when.

ExiledGael

Carson's a big loss alright but he's recently accepted a job offer over in Luton area. Apparently he will only be home once every few eeeks so he is certainly out of the equation. Huge loss for Newtwonbutler for the year ahead too.
Agree McDermott is a loose marker at times but I often put that down to the centre half back position where the forward has so much space to work in and defenders are not man for man exactly. Suppose it will come down to horses for courses depending on the opposing attack.

inisceithleann

Definitely would put McDermott at full back. I think you'll find that O'Rourke will play Clucker at centre half back, his best position in my opinion. But if he has to do a man marking job he'll be anywhere in the back six.

ExiledGael

Do you see Shane Lyons getting a starting place? At least we have real competition for places there now, pity it wasn't like that up the field.

FermGael

Think that Lyons should push for a start this year.
We have  do have alot of quality defenders, its just up front the problems are.
This year i would say our starting 6 forwards for the league  will be
Lyttle Doherty Keenan(M)
Maguire McBarron Ward/P Cadden
You would also have Tom Brewster and Ciaran O'Reilly to slot back in when fit depending on the performances of the above 6.  So there will be an element of competition up there. 
I feel Sean Doc could have a great year for Fermanagh this year.
Anybody give a list of who is actually managing the club teams in Fermanangh this year??

Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

inisceithleann

With everyone fit, this is the best 15 in my opinion

Chrissy Breen

Niall Bogue
Shane McDermott
Shane Goan

Tommy McElroy
Ryan McCluskey
Shane Lyons

James Sherry
Marty McGrath

Mark Little
Tom Brewster
Mattie Keenan

Eamon Maguire
Shaun Doherty
Paul Ward

ExiledGael

That looks about right, though Mark Murphy will be the unfortunate one to lose his place. He's always performed well, some of our midfield will have to be options for the forward line ie Sherry/McBarron/Murphy

inisceithleann

Murphy will be unlucky enough not to start, but he could play at centre half forward or in at full forward as well. I just think Sherry is more athletic and mobile. But the caveat is that Sherry always seems to be dogged with injury so Murphy could be at midfield a lot of the time. I'm concerned that the forward line is so small. Mattie Keenan and Paul Ward are talented but not the strongest. Pat Cadden similarly, is too similar to what we already have. We need someone in the Ger Cavlan mould at wing half forward but those players are thin on the ground in Fermanagh. All we seem to produce is nippy corner forwards. It must be that we're lacking something in the diet!

ExiledGael

That's the difference between us and the sides challenging for titles and finals. There's not even any prospects coming through in that mould that I know of. Doherty will obviously bring that to the forward line but he alone is not enough.
Agree about Sherry, on his day he's our most talented player. he was great last week before his injury.
It's a pity he couldn't persuade his clubmate Seamus Quigley to sort his head out and stick at the football. Certain county player with strength who can score from long range, but he's a lost cause by now.
What's the story with McGurn? A name constantly thrown up by some, but no manager ever seems to believe in him? I've seen him being very ordinary at club level though.