Total Tool Journalists

Started by Maximus Marillius, January 18, 2008, 01:11:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minder

Quote from: ONeill on January 18, 2008, 08:48:10 PM
Quote from: Maximus Marillius on January 18, 2008, 01:11:17 PM
Only after reading the Irish News feature on county managers by none other than Eamonn O'Hare, the most useless of GAA writers, who I believe is on the ALL Star selection committee :o :o :o :o :o scarey. His presence certain devalues the merit of the award. Anyway, here is some of his glorious tit bits...on Mc Geeney 'made his senior debut for Armagh in 1998' :o ???...'his senior county career spanned nine years'  :o :o :o:'( :'( :'(......surely he could at least get these basic facts right. I mean such a useless gaa journalist. I have red so many of his crap match reports over the years that I now do for a laugh to see if he was actually at the same game as myself....he is that far off the mark....and he gets paid for it...would you believe it. My question.....Is he the worst (by worst I mean the least knowledgable) journalist in the business?

OK, Max. Here's a challenge. I'd like you to write an article before the end of next week. The topic is "A Preview to the 2008 Derry Championship". I'd like to see stats, facts and incisive opinion. About 1000 words. I know you don't get paid for it, but show us how it's done. I hope you don't mind if we give an honest appraisal of it.

Has someone touched a nerve..........?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

ONeill

But i don't claim that others are fallible.

But, I'll accept your challenge. Give me a topic.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

DoYerJob Linesman

Well Max, we're waiting...............................

;D
17/03/02 - Semple Stadium Thurles - Heaven On Earth

Maximus Marillius

[quote author=ONeill link=topic=6380.msg229833#msg229833 date=1200689290]
Quote from: Maximus Marillius on January 18, 2008, 01:11:17 PMOnly after reading the Irish News feature on county managers by none other than Eamonn O'Hare, the most useless of GAA writers, who I believe is on the ALL Star selection committee :o :o :o :o :o scarey. His presence certain devalues the merit of the award. Anyway, here is some of his glorious tit bits...on Mc Geeney 'made his senior debut for Armagh in 1998' :o ???...'his senior county career spanned nine years'  :o :o :o:'( :'( :'(......surely he could at least get these basic facts right. I mean such a useless gaa journalist. I have red so many of his crap match reports over the years that I now do for a laugh to see if he was actually at the same game as myself....he is that far off the mark....and he gets paid for it...would you believe it. My question.....Is he the worst (by worst I mean the least knowledgable) journalist in the business?
OK, Max. Here's a challenge. I'd like you to write an article before the end of next week. The topic is "A Preview to the 2008 Derry Championship". I'd like to see stats, facts and incisive opinion. About 1000 words. I know you don't get paid for it, but show us how it's done. I hope you don't mind if we give an honest appraisal of it.[/b]

O'neill are you for real...firstly I am not a trained journalist, I don't have a degree in English as is the min standard for these jobs, i don't have years experience unlike O'Hara nor do i get paid for it...what do you think i would come up, something similar to O'Hara FFS :D :DNow if you asked me to build ou a web site...and am not talking about a toy one of alot of hundred pounds, well if i was as bad as some of the reports i have read on matches, well i guess there would be less trips to the states for me

muppet

Quote from: ONeill on January 18, 2008, 10:12:12 PM
But i don't claim that others are fallible.

But, I'll accept your challenge. Give me a topic.

Great maybe find an article by the Irish News guy then yourself and Max can write on the same topic. Post the three articles without the names and we'll have a go at a critique.
MWWSI 2017

dundrumite

Great thread, am going to keep a close eye on its progression :o

ONeill

Quote from: Maximus Marillius on January 18, 2008, 10:29:09 PM

O'neill are you for real...firstly I am not a trained journalist, I don't have a degree in English as is the min standard for these jobs, i don't have years experience unlike O'Hara nor do i get paid for it...what do you think i would come up, something similar to O'Hara FFS :D :DNow if you asked me to build ou a web site...and am not talking about a toy one of alot of hundred pounds, well if i was as bad as some of the reports i have read on matches, well i guess there would be less trips to the states for me

I'm not a trained journo. I don't have years experience. I don't get paid for it. But, I'm willing to take you on. Walk the walk.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

muppet

Ok neither of you are from Kildare and both of you have probably heard of Kieran McGeeney (if not he is a famous ballet dancer from Armagh).

Liam Hayes wrote a nasty piece on the above here so let's see if either of you 2 can do better.

Eh off you go then.....1000 words.
MWWSI 2017

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Minder on January 18, 2008, 08:54:01 PM
Quote from: ONeill on January 18, 2008, 08:48:10 PM
Quote from: Maximus Marillius on January 18, 2008, 01:11:17 PM
Only after reading the Irish News feature on county managers by none other than Eamonn O'Hare, the most useless of GAA writers, who I believe is on the ALL Star selection committee :o :o :o :o :o scarey. His presence certain devalues the merit of the award. Anyway, here is some of his glorious tit bits...on Mc Geeney 'made his senior debut for Armagh in 1998' :o ???...'his senior county career spanned nine years'  :o :o :o:'( :'( :'(......surely he could at least get these basic facts right. I mean such a useless gaa journalist. I have red so many of his crap match reports over the years that I now do for a laugh to see if he was actually at the same game as myself....he is that far off the mark....and he gets paid for it...would you believe it. My question.....Is he the worst (by worst I mean the least knowledgable) journalist in the business?

OK, Max. Here's a challenge. I'd like you to write an article before the end of next week. The topic is "A Preview to the 2008 Derry Championship". I'd like to see stats, facts and incisive opinion. About 1000 words. I know you don't get paid for it, but show us how it's done. I hope you don't mind if we give an honest appraisal of it.

Has someone touched a nerve..........?

Yeah O'Neill fancies himself as a bit of a journalist  ::)

Clearly he thinks everyone is as sad as him.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Maximus Marillius

Quote from: ONeill on January 19, 2008, 12:05:00 AM
Quote from: Maximus Marillius on January 18, 2008, 10:29:09 PM

I'm not a trained journo. I don't have years experience. I don't get paid for it. But, I'm willing to take you on. Walk the walk.

Judging by your reaction to my opinion, I would guess you have some vested or passing interest on the subject matter, and as I don't have a clue who you are or what you do, I feel your leading me up the garden path so to speak....so my advise from someone who is not a jorno is to sit on it ;) But don't let that stop you doing your piece, i will compare to the O'hara's and I will let you know if you have a future or whether to pack your job ;) in and start a new career :D

never kickt a ball

Quote from: ONeill on January 01, 2007, 11:20:37 PM
Good luck with the Newspaper and i hope it lasts. I worked for a while on Gael Sports Ulster and for all its limitations, it's still churning out monthly after 5 and a half years. Good to see you've borrowed their format - it has worked for them. Competing against the Irish News may be a problem - what can you provide that they dont?

Good call Max. Me thinks you were being hustled  :D

screenexile

Have to agree with a lot on here that the standard of journalism in some papers and by some individuals can sometimes be shocking. In fairness for O'Hara to say that McGeeney made his debut in 98 is diabolical and lazy. Surely that information would be lying around the Irish news stat books somewhere fairly prominent. I've always fancied I could have a bash at the oul journalism lark so if I get a chance sometime next week I'll try and put something together for it to be lambasted by all and sundry here. I'll try and take the topic Max was too feared of (Allegedly it's everyone else who is feared by the tones it's nice to have one of the Tones feared about something);)

Maximus Marillius

Quote from: screenexile on January 19, 2008, 01:41:01 PM
Have to agree with a lot on here that the standard of journalism in some papers and by some individuals can sometimes be shocking. In fairness for O'Hara to say that McGeeney made his debut in 98 is diabolical and lazy. Surely that information would be lying around the Irish news stat books somewhere fairly prominent. I've always fancied I could have a bash at the oul journalism lark so if I get a chance sometime next week I'll try and put something together for it to be lambasted by all and sundry here. I'll try and take the topic Max was too feared of (Allegedly it's everyone else who is feared by the tones it's nice to have one of the Tones feared about something);)

Thats at football ya dope...and you should know better than most after the amount of beatings we have given ye

Minder

Well O Neill works with a member of a self styled gaa royal family from west belfast, the family have one of the already mentioned Irish News reporters in their back pockets so you may be right Max about the "vested interest" angle.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Maximus Marillius

Quote from: never kickt a ball on January 19, 2008, 01:07:07 PM
Quote from: ONeill on January 01, 2007, 11:20:37 PM
Good luck with the Newspaper and i hope it lasts. I worked for a while on Gael Sports Ulster and for all its limitations, it's still churning out monthly after 5 and a half years. Good to see you've borrowed their format - it has worked for them. Competing against the Irish News may be a problem - what can you provide that they dont?

Good call Max. Me thinks you were being hustled  :D

Can smell a rat every time....O' Neill catch urself on ya tube :D :D :D :D

Quote from: Minder on January 19, 2008, 02:51:21 PM
Well O Neill works with a member of a self styled gaa royal family from west belfast, the family have one of the already mentioned Irish News reporters in their back pockets so you may be right Max about the "vested interest" angle.

phew!!!