Dublin latest to oppose payments of grants - Irish Examiner

Started by quidnunc, January 16, 2008, 10:32:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

quidnunc

16 January 2008

Dublin latest to oppose payments of grants, says Harrington

By Brendan Larkin
DUBLIN has joined the growing list of counties opposed to grants being paid to inter-county players according to chairman Jerry Harrington.

The issue was discussed in detail at Monday night's Board meeting with delegates voicing their concern the proposed deal.

Said Harrington: "Since the convention many of our clubs had discussed the matter at their own meetings and that helped to swell Monday's county board meeting when the issue was again raised.

"I'm aware of at least one club in Dublin who conducted a debate on the matter and the majority of their membership, which consisted mostly of young people, voted against the grants.

"It's refreshing to learn that the youth membership of the GAA clubs in Dublin are opposed to this grants scheme, and all along I thought it was people of my vintage who were against it."

He added: "At least 35 delegates spoke at Monday night's meeting and expressed concern for the amateur status of the GAA.

"The question was asked if the grants issue was in contravention of Rule 11 of the official guide.

"The matter was discussed at length. At the end of the discussion there was no proposal from the floor for a motion to be submitted to Congress, and it was agreed that it be left to the discretion of our Central Council delegate, county secretary John Costello to raise the issue at the next Council meeting.

"He was left in no doubt how the clubs of Dublin feel on this particular issue. It would be fair to say that our clubs want the amateur status of the GAA protected and are opposed to the grants scheme.''

He added: "Another issue that came from Monday's county board meeting was that clubs and delegates were concerned that they had not been part of the discussion up to now.

"Most of the discussion was done at a higher level and did not come down to county boards or clubs similar to what happened when the issue of the opening of Croke Park to rugby and soccer was first discussed.

"We are forever being told that the club is the bedrock of the GAA, and delegates at our meeting let it be known in no uncertain manner that they had no hand, act or part in the decision making.

"As far as they were concerned it was a done deal and they had not been consulted. Many delegates thanked the county board for affording them the opportunity to discuss the matter. The Dublin County Board now knows where their clubs and delegates stand on the matter. I'm on record as saying our clubs run the GAA in Dublin, not the officers. We are only mere organisers."

his holiness nb

The small rump of malcontents is growing rapidly.
Can we stop saying its just the nordies being awkward again now?
Ask me holy bollix

AZOffaly

Wow. This is a big blow to Nicky Brennan. I was reading in the paper yesterday what was practically an appeal to the county boards not to undermine the Central Council by opposing these grants. If the likes of Dublin are against it, then I reckon a groundswell of negative opinion could well be heard at Convention time.

Nicky Brennan may have misread the wind badly here.

Maximus Marillius

And  of all the counties where rule 11 is being brought to its knees regularly. Wouldn't they be better to get their own house in order.

rrhf

Listen if you have one bad tooth in your mouth you dont take out all your teeth

his holiness nb

Have any counties come out publicly in support of the grants?

Lets see the good teeth.
Ask me holy bollix

The Lord of Luuuvre

Quote from: Maximus Marillius on January 16, 2008, 10:42:48 AM
And  of all the counties where rule 11 is being brought to its knees regularly. Wouldn't they be better to get their own house in order.

That's an excellent point. Mayo are a bit of a laugh.  Opposing the grants (whick come from state coffers) while dishing out money to managers.
Greetings and salivations

his holiness nb

So its reduce to discrediting the people who oppose the grants.

Too suggest someone is a "bad tooth" is both lazy labelling and designed purely to discredit them because they oppose the grants, rather that accept their opinion.

Mayo cant be taken seriously because of allegations (be very careful here guys) of them paying managers.
So basically because of an unproved allegation nothing they ever say can be taken seriously.
Shocking arguments guys. I'll ask again, has any county come out publicly in support of the grants?

The whole point about getting their own houses in order is a poor argument also, so if, and I repeat if, they have done wrong in the past or present, that renders their opinion on this topic irrelevant? The county boards are coming out with theses statements having discussed the matter with club representatives, therefore are representing the grass roots in theses counties.

Do you think if they had similar meetings with club representatives to ask if they should break the rules and pay managers that the grass roots would for one second vote yes??
Manager payments is another huge problem we have which deserves further serious debate, but seperate debate.
Ask me holy bollix

Maximus Marillius

Quote from: his holiness nb on January 16, 2008, 11:24:19 AM

Too suggest someone is a "bad tooth" is both lazy labelling and designed purely to discredit them because they oppose the grants, rather that accept their opinion.

Mayo cant be taken seriously because of allegations (be very careful here guys) of them paying managers.
So basically because of an unproved allegation nothing they ever say can be taken seriously.
Shocking arguments guys. I'll ask again, has any county come out publicly in support of the grants?

The whole point about getting their own houses in order is a poor argument also, so if, and I repeat if, they have done wrong in the past or present, that renders their opinion on this topic irrelevant? The county boards are coming out with theses statements having discussed the matter with club representatives, therefore are representing the grass roots in theses counties.

Do you think if they had similar meetings with club representatives to ask if they should break the rules and pay managers that the grass roots would for one second vote yes??
Manager payments is another huge problem we have which deserves further serious debate, but seperate debate.

how is it a poor arguement.....if your part of the problem...i.e. dublin clubs bing the main source of players transferring 'to get looked after' or managers being paid...I'm at alost to understand your rationale

his holiness nb

Quote from: Maximus Marillius on January 16, 2008, 11:39:07 AM
how is it a poor arguement.....if your part of the problem...i.e. dublin clubs bing the main source of players transferring 'to get looked after' or managers being paid...I'm at alost to understand your rationale

Firstly I am not a member of a Dublin club.

My point is, if players or managers are being paid it is wrong, full stop. And this should be stamped out ASAP, and the guilty parties punished.

IF and I repeat IF there are a few senior Dublin clubs who "look after" players or managers thats one issue. But to suggest that if the Dublin county board on behalf of ALL DUBLIN CLUBS come out to oppose the grants, its not valid because of the ALLEGED actions of a handful of these clubs, well thats just crazy.

Yes, the payment of managers or players should be debated at the highest level, debated and stamped out as soon as possible.

But to suggest they shouldnt have an opinion on the grants while this is happening is silly.

This county board statement is on behalf of the members all Dublin clubs, any underhand payment of managers or players is most certainly not approved by the members of all Dublin clubs.

Look you may well have your arguments for supporting the grant, thats fine and you are entitled to your opinion on these, and all matters.

But to try to deny the Dublin clubs their opinion because of the alleged actions of a tiny few is sneaky and reflects badly on the yes camps argument.

If the Dublin clubs came out and said they approved of the grant I would accept it, despite not liking it.
Accept democracy and do the same.
Ask me holy bollix

rrhf

his holiness i was responding to the claim that Dublin county may need to get its house in order.  At the moment elements of professionalism in GAA are the exception not the rule the guys that want to make it the rule need to look in the mirror - at their own teeth! 

heffo

Quote from: quidnunc on January 16, 2008, 10:32:12 AM

DUBLIN has joined the growing list of counties opposed to grants being paid to inter-county players according to chairman Jerry Harrington.

I wonder if that Jerry Harrington fella knows Gerry Harrington, the Dublin Chairman?

Rav67

Its a bit harsh to criticise Dublin on that issue, what about a lot of the senior clubs in Down for example that have been at that for years?

If you oppose the grants then you should be happy that a major county is on board with you.

heffo

Quote from: Rav67 on January 16, 2008, 03:05:14 PM

Its a bit harsh to criticise Dublin on that issue, what about a lot of the senior clubs in Down for example that have been at that for years?

If you oppose the grants then you should be happy that a major county is on board with you.

Paying club players & managers probably goes on more in Dublin moreso than other county though...very hard to police though.

Jinxy

Well lets bring the whole issue of payments to managers to a head as well so! What would happen if managers were not getting paid tomorrow? God forbid local people from within the club would actually coach their own senior team. We might revert to some sort of sensible training regime then instead of starting back after f*cking Halloween!
If you were any use you'd be playing.