A Different Ball Game - The Future of the GAA in Northern Ireland

Started by Zulu, January 14, 2008, 08:00:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maguire01

ardmhachaabu

Well, from my experience, the GAA has been to the fore-front in bridge-building, even throughout the troubles.  I know of clubs in Tyrone that have helped their local Orange Order in the run-up to the 12th.  I know of clubs which have done similar in Armagh, Antrim and Down. 

It's only Political people who are making distinctions which would make me wonder what motive was behind the journalist as he couldn't have done too much research into what clubs are doing or what the Protestant community in the north thinks of the GAA generally.
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

Gnevin

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on January 15, 2008, 08:11:59 PM
Maguire there have never been flag and anthem issues before.

I love being in Croke, eyes toward the flag and singing in Gaelic on Sundays in September.  That is the showcase of the entire year.  I don't see why having pride in our nation and showing it culturally and politically should be a problem.  I say politically because it is a political act to express pride in your national identity as opposed to being party political. 

Tell me this Maguire, do you know many people involved in rural clubs?

It inst a problem but it also isn't a prerequisite of the organisations success.

Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Maguire01

For the record, i am from the country (there aren't too many places in Monaghan that you could call metropolitan!), although i live in the city now.

I know how things work in rural areas where communities are close - i know that there are numerous examples of cross-community cooperation.  That doesn't counter the fact that those of a unionist background (in the main) have little involvement with the GAA.

I'm still not seeing the value in your argument for the flag/anthem and what it adds to the GAA experience - or more importantly, what we would lose without such things. I know i don't need a flag to remind me I'm Irish - I'm sufficiently confident and secure in my national identity as it is. The games themselves promote Irish identity.

Gnevin

ardmhachaabu ,what does the Irish flag and anthem add too the Swedish national playing football in Japan?
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: Maguire01 on January 15, 2008, 08:30:01 PM
For the record, i am from the country (there aren't too many places in Monaghan that you could call metropolitan!), although i live in the city now.

I know how things work in rural areas where communities are close - i know that there are numerous examples of cross-community cooperation.  That doesn't counter the fact that those of a unionist background (in the main) have little involvement with the GAA.

I'm still not seeing the value in your argument for the flag/anthem and what it adds to the GAA experience - or more importantly, what we would lose without such things. I know i don't need a flag to remind me I'm Irish - I'm sufficiently confident and secure in my national identity as it is. The games themselves promote Irish identity.

My point is twofold; firstly those links exist.  They exist with the presence of the flag at every match in the north.

Secondly, it's symbolism.  What better way have we of encouraging unionists to get involved in Gaelic games and culture generaly than by flying the flag that symbolises peace between Orange and Green?

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

Gnevin

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on January 15, 2008, 08:55:53 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on January 15, 2008, 08:30:01 PM

I know how things work in rural areas where communities are close - i know that there are numerous examples of cross-community cooperation.  That doesn't counter the fact that those of a unionist background (in the main) have little involvement with the GAA.

My point is twofold; firstly those links exist.  They exist with the presence of the flag at every match in the north.

Secondly, it's symbolism.  What better way have we of encouraging unionists to get involved in Gaelic games and culture generaly than by flying the flag that symbolises peace between Orange and Green?

If you believe that's the only symbolism and emotion for Unionist your very naive . And the only thing this image symbolises is the confederate navy .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Conf_Navy_Jack_%28light_blue%29.svg

And  of course the only emotion this image generates is Buddhism

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Nazi_Swastika.svg

ardmhachaabu

I am not worried about offending unionists,if they are going to be offended by a flag, they wouldn't much like the banter either  ;)

Gnevin

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on January 15, 2008, 09:25:20 PM
I am not worried about offending unionists,if they are going to be offended by a flag, they wouldn't much like the banter either  ;)
And the truth comes out . Next time can we cut the crap

ardmhachaabu

Why should I be worried about offending anyone?

Are we to have an Association which tippy toes around people?

Gnevin

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on January 15, 2008, 09:49:56 PM
Why should I be worried about offending anyone?

Are we to have an Association which tippy toes around people?
You don't have to worry about anything. Sure we should burn an effigy of the Queen before each game too.

Don't you think the Association should take proactive moves to encourage others?

No, but we should take reasonable steps where we can remove barriers perceived or not.

ardmhachaabu

I sniff desperation on your behalf gnevin.

The tricolour can not be equated to the swastika, ever.

his holiness nb

Quote from: Gnevin on January 15, 2008, 09:07:17 PM
And  of course the only emotion this image generates is Buddhism

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Nazi_Swastika.svg

Gnevin, the swastika is a Hindu symbol, and while I was in a Hindu temple in India last year the swastika emblem was proudly shown in the artwork in the temple as its Hindu meaning is not offensive. If someone else hijacked the symbol for other means to offend people, thats not the fault of the Hindu people and it doesnt stop them using the symbol with pride.

The very same comparision can be used for the tricolour, just because the Unionist people decide they want to be offended by a flag designed to represent harmony between the "orange" and "green" peoples of out county, doent mean it is an offensive flag and shouldnt be a reason for hiding it away.

Comparing the flag with buring effigies of the queen is crazy, burining effegies is a gesture purely meant to offend.
Ask me holy bollix

behind the wire

this whole debate is a prime example of the pc ridden world we live in today. as if the british schools letting on the holocaust didnt happen so as not to offend muslims wasnt a bad enough example we now have people saying that we should ditch our national flag and national anthem from our national games. i cant make sense of it at all.

in my opinion it is a prime example of 'when in rome, do what the romans do'. there is nothing to stop unionists joining our association but they must accept that it is an IRISH sporting and cultural organisation formed long before partition of the country. it is up to them to embrace the element of irish culture not for us to remove it.

the problem lies in the fact that a majority of unionists still see the gaa as the baddies, the ira at play etc ( due to what they have been told to believe by their political leaders). although they may say they refuse to join the gaa because of the presence of flags/irish national anthem/ club names this isnt the case. they hate the gaa because it is a part of irish culture and this is something that the gaa cannot change. unionists view all irish culture as a threat. they have been told by their leaders for years to dislike irish culture and sports, even though most have never come into contact with it. they believe it is the nationalist version of the orange order in that protestants are barred from joining. i live in a predominantly unionist area and can tell you that very few unionists will believe me when i say that a gaa president in the 90's was a protestant. they refuse to believe it, think it couldnt happen.

it is not our association that needs to change, it is the wider unionist communities warped view of what the gaa is. in my opinion the only cure for this is time. i can see from my own area that attitudes are beginning to slowly change. give it 10 years and then see where we are. in the meantime no radical changes please.
He who laughs last thinks the slowest

his holiness nb

Theres something creeping into peoples heads down here, maybe due to years of the Sun and the Star, that suggests that our flag and anthem is offensive and something to be ashamed of. Yet when the same is said of the British, who pillaged the world for centuries, well you just cant say that. It makes you a backwoodsman and bigoted. Its f**king crazy.

Behind the wire got it spot on, Unionist children are brought up to hate the GAA as its, well too Irish for them. It has NOTHING to do with the flags and anthems and removing them will do nothing to improve relationships, its the Unionist mindset towards the GAA which needs changing. If we were (buzzword alert) progressive and removed them there would be certain elements in the Unionist sides claiming victory of the GAA in a "look what we made them do" sort of way, but they wouldnt be turning up at your local club because of it.

People need to think for themselves and not what they think they are meant to think from a pc point of view, its ridiculous.
Ask me holy bollix