A Different Ball Game - The Future of the GAA in Northern Ireland

Started by Zulu, January 14, 2008, 08:00:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

parttimeexile

Why is it when somebody from the North stands up for what they believe in they are a bigot but when other people do it they are simply standing up for what they believe in? Everyone is welcome to come and join the GAA but it should not change what it stands for in order to do this.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Gnevin on January 15, 2008, 06:31:27 PMAnd foresting  Irish identity and Culture  none of which are affect by the lack of the Flag . Which ironically enough hasn't flown at a Dublin home match for over 2 years if I'm not mistaken.

Yeah, was looking for it last Saturday during the anthems, wtf???
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Maguire01

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on January 16, 2008, 09:20:13 AM
I sniff desperation on your behalf gnevin.

The tricolour can not be equated to the swastika, ever.
Talk about missing the point!

Quote from: behind the wire on January 16, 2008, 10:08:30 AM
in my opinion it is a prime example of 'when in rome, do what the romans do'. there is nothing to stop unionists joining our association but they must accept that it is an IRISH sporting and cultural organisation formed long before partition of the country. it is up to them to embrace the element of irish culture not for us to remove it.
If you're arguing that it was formed long before partition, then you clearly understand that the organisation predated the flag and the anthem and therefore the organisation was founded and developed in the absence of either.

Quote from: his holiness nb on January 16, 2008, 10:22:04 AM
Theres something creeping into peoples heads down here, maybe due to years of the Sun and the Star, that suggests that our flag and anthem is offensive and something to be ashamed of.
I wouldn't read either paper and am not ashamed of flag or anthem - that's not the issue.

Quote from: his holiness nb on January 16, 2008, 10:22:04 AM
People need to think for themselves and not what they think they are meant to think from a pc point of view, its ridiculous.
So if you happen to express an opinion that happens to also be PC, then it can't be thinking for yourself?!

behind the wire

maguire i appreciate that the association predated both flag and anthem. the association simply adopted the flag and anthem that governed the majority of its members and that of the irish nation and culture  that it set out to promote.
He who laughs last thinks the slowest

Gnevin

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on January 16, 2008, 09:20:13 AM
I sniff desperation on your behalf gnevin.

The tricolour can not be equated to the swastika, ever.
You totally missed the point.
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Gnevin

Quote from: his holiness nb on January 16, 2008, 09:50:01 AM
Quote from: Gnevin on January 15, 2008, 09:07:17 PM
And  of course the only emotion this image generates is Buddhism

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Nazi_Swastika.svg

Gnevin, the swastika is a Hindu symbol, and while I was in a Hindu temple in India last year the swastika emblem was proudly shown in the artwork in the temple as its Hindu meaning is not offensive. If someone else hijacked the symbol for other means to offend people, thats not the fault of the Hindu people and it doesnt stop them using the symbol with pride.

The very same comparision can be used for the tricolour, just because the Unionist people decide they want to be offended by a flag designed to represent harmony between the "orange" and "green" peoples of out county, doent mean it is an offensive flag and shouldnt be a reason for hiding it away.

Comparing the flag with buring effigies of the queen is crazy, burining effegies is a gesture purely meant to offend.
No but when i used a swastika i am mindful that people maybe be confused with Nazi Germany and that while it's a ancient and revered symbol  which was high jacked . If i decide to fly a swastika outside my house many people are going to think i'm a Nazi.

If it offends people it must be offensive that is a simple logical analyse. Now it's not offensive to me or most people but the point here is the the Tricolour is not core to the association and removing it should be seen as a big gesture
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Gnevin

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on January 16, 2008, 12:06:25 PM
Quote from: Gnevin on January 15, 2008, 06:31:27 PMAnd foresting  Irish identity and Culture  none of which are affect by the lack of the Flag . Which ironically enough hasn't flown at a Dublin home match for over 2 years if I'm not mistaken.

Disrespectful to fly during dark  ;)

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Gnevin on January 16, 2008, 03:06:43 PM

Well they had no problems flying the Dublin flag...  ;D

Seriously there must be a reasoning behind this??? I just presumed it was wrapped around de pole...

armaghniac

QuoteIf i decide to fly a swastika outside my house many people are going to think i'm a Nazi.

How about the Swastika laundry which operated in Dublin for years, were they part of the 1000 Jahre Reich?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

AZOffaly

I think GNevin is right Croí. The flag is supposed to be taken down at nightfall.

From the Department of the Taoiseach

15 The National Flag should be displayed in the open only between sunrise and sunset, except on the occasion of public meetings, processions, or funerals, when it may be displayed for the duration of such functions (Figure G).
Note: For military purposes, sunrise and sunset
are deemed to be:
Sunrise:
March to October 08:00 Hours
November to February 08:30 Hours
Sunset:
January and December 15:30 Hours
February and November 16:30 Hours
March and October 17:30 Hours
April 18:00 Hours
May and September 19:00 Hours
June to August 20:00 Hours

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 16, 2008, 03:39:28 PM
I think GNevin is right Croí. The flag is supposed to be taken down at nightfall.

I take ur point but sure it's a bit pointless turning to face the flag during de anthem with no flag there  ??? What about de other home Dublin matches in de last 2 years, surely they weren't all played under lights???

Gnevin

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on January 16, 2008, 03:15:40 PM
Quote from: Gnevin on January 16, 2008, 03:06:43 PM

Well they had no problems flying the Dublin flag...  ;D

Seriously there must be a reasoning behind this??? I just presumed it was wrapped around de pole...
That is the reason the National flag should not be flown in the dark , hence why the Flag on the GPO doesn't fly at night or on any government buildings .

The national flag should be displayed in the open only between sunrise and sunset, except on the occasion of public meetings, processions, or funerals, when it may be displayed for the duration of such functions.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_Ireland#Protocol

Of no one i know does the following

When the national anthem is played in the presence of the national flag, all present should face the national flag, stand to attention and salute it, remaining at the salute until the last note of the music.[43]

Ok the real reason is we are all  best brits  ;)

Gnevin

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on January 16, 2008, 03:44:28 PM

I take ur point but sure it's a bit pointless turning to face the flag during de anthem with no flag there  ??? What about de other home Dublin matches in de last 2 years, surely they weren't all played under lights???
All the football ones where . Can anyone remember if the Tricolour was flown for the Dublin  V Tyrone game in Croker last year?

armaghniac

QuoteThe flag is supposed to be taken down at nightfall.

Indeed it is, someone should tell the Shinner "nationalists" who paste tattered flags up all over the place and businesses like Brown Thomas who are too lazy to take it down.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Gnevin on January 16, 2008, 03:53:10 PM
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on January 16, 2008, 03:44:28 PM

All the football ones where . Can anyone remember if the Tricolour was flown for the Dublin  V Tyrone game in Croker last year?

I thought it was, certainly don't remember not seeing it when I turned around. So de flag has been flown for the home hurling matches then I take it???