A Different Ball Game - The Future of the GAA in Northern Ireland

Started by Zulu, January 14, 2008, 08:00:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zapatista

Quote from: thejuice on January 18, 2008, 11:10:06 AM
I am very proud of my past, my culture and heritage.

The idea of a United Ireland is very much a Nationalist ideal.

We shouldn't be proud of something we didn't do. If we can preserve it and improve on it for the right reasons it should makes us proud, but there is no pride in inheriting something.

The idea of remaining within the Union and maintaining British identity is very much a Nationalist ideal too.

thejuice

Quote from: Zapatista on January 18, 2008, 11:17:57 AM
Quote from: thejuice on January 18, 2008, 11:10:06 AM
I am very proud of my past, my culture and heritage.

The idea of a United Ireland is very much a Nationalist ideal.

We shouldn't be proud of something we didn't do. If we can preserve it and improve on it for the right reasons it should makes us proud, but there is no pride in inheriting something.

The idea of remaining within the Union and maintaining British identity is very much a Nationalist ideal too.

Please elaborate
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

thejuice

It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Zapatista

Well, here goes.

We are not responsible for our culture or heritage. I can't see how anyone can claim pride in their heritage. It's akin to saying Germans should inherit shame.

Are you proud of the civil war fought here? If so who are you proud off? If you are for example proud of the pro-treaty lot are you equally shamed of the anti-treaty lot? Maybe you are proud nor shamed of either. If so, is up to you what you inherit? Pick and choose?

Culture is an evolutionary process and nobody can claim it as an action to be proud of.

Are Unionist non-Nationals? If someone is British and are happy to be so then they are British Nationals (Nationalists) I f someone is from Northern Ireland and happy about it the they are Northern Irish Nationals (Nationalists).

I am in full support of a united Ireland but am not a Nationalist.

his holiness nb

Quote from: Zapatista on January 18, 2008, 05:06:26 PM
Culture is an evolutionary process and nobody can claim it as an action to be proud of.

Its not an action to be proud of, but its quite reasonable to be proud of being part of a culture.
Ask me holy bollix

Rav67

Quote from: his holiness nb on January 18, 2008, 05:10:20 PM
Quote from: Zapatista on January 18, 2008, 05:06:26 PM

Its not an action to be proud of, but its quite reasonable to be proud of being part of a culture.

Of course you can have pride in the past and your culture, its your own ancestors who helped shape it. 

I enjoy the anthem as part of the whole theatre of big match days, but I personally think we should just play it before finals.

his holiness nb

I'd agree with that. It would add to the atmosphere on final day.
Ask me holy bollix

armaghniac

I agree about the embarrassing renditions of the anthem.

Let's say that some people object to women's football, on the basis that they are a crowd of Jezebels flaunting their legs and so forth. Ought we ensure that ladies play in Burkas to show respect for their culture and to better attract this class of person to the GAA? 

No smart aleck comments about ladies football please.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Pangurban

Hardy i am sorry if i appeared to misrepresent your views, that was not my intention. What you fail to understand is that we are approaching this from very different perspectives. I am asserting the value of symbols as educational tools, aids to awareness of who we are, and visible transmitters of culture and identity to our youth. Where you live in the so called free part of Ireland, symbols are not so important, as other transmitters of Nationality and Culture exist. They are nevertheless worthy of more respect than you appear to accord them. Where i live, our youth are surrounded day and daily by symbols of a different nationality and culture, with little or nothing they can identify as having any relevance to them. The outwards expressions of Nationality which they encounter within the G.A.A., acts as an anti-dote, giving them a sense of their own self-worth and identity., not to mention pride in and respect for their own country. A pride and respect which is glaringly lacking in the Republic today, but thats a different debate.

Jinxy

Can't you just picture himself and some oul lad from Kerry roaring abuse at each other up in the premium section?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Zapatista

Quote from: Rav67 on January 18, 2008, 06:02:27 PM

Of course you can have pride in the past and your culture, its your own ancestors who helped shape it. 

Should the British be proud of all the tea they drink and currys they eat?

Rav67

Quote from: Zapatista on January 19, 2008, 12:49:42 AM
Quote from: Rav67 on January 18, 2008, 06:02:27 PM

Should the British be proud of all the tea they drink and currys they eat?

I don't quite get your point.  I never said that you have to be proud of everything that has ever been done in the name of your county, I just said that it is possible to be proud.  The same way that you might be proud of your granda in his achievements or how he lived his life, despite this not being something that you influenced in any way.

Zapatista

I wouldn't concider my Granda as an ancestor. My point is do we also inherit the bad things or ancestors done? For example should the USA citizens be proud of their ancestors achievements and ignore that the same ancestors where involved in slavery?

Another example is the British celebrating 100years of outlawing slavery. It's something they're very proud of. I think if they are going to be anything about it they should be ashamed. Being proud of it is the same as bullying someone everyday at work and being proud of stopping rather than ashamed of doing it in the first place.

We are in denial and living a big lie by thinking we are great and have a great history when the truth is we just believe what we want to and ignore the rest.