The 2008 US Election thread

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, January 04, 2008, 02:35:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who will win?

Obama
McCain

Over the Bar

QuoteObama is actually a pretty decent guy too-a little slick for my liking but he's one smart cookie and I think he will do a decent job as long as he doesnt raise my taxes.

Following the $700bn bail out using public funds I cannot see how raising taxes can be avoided in the short to medium term with the US economy in such a mess.

anportmorforjfc

Barack Obama came up a big winner in the presidential race in Dixville Notch, New Hampshire, where the US's first Election Day votes have been cast and counted.

The Democrat candidate for the White House defeated Republican John McCain 15-6. Independent Ralph Nader was also on the ballot, but received no votes.

The first voter, following a tradition established in 1948, was picked ahead of the midnight voting and the rest of the town's registered voters followed suit in the first minutes of Tuesday.

Town Clerk Rick Erwin said the northern New Hampshire town was proud of its tradition, but said the most important thing was that the turnout represented a 100% vote.

President George Bush won the vote in Dixville Notch in 2004 on the way to his re-election.

Gabriel_Hurl

dec

I had to wait an hour and a half this morning to vote, way longer than in 2004, turnout looks to be way up.

lurganblue

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

DrinkingHarp

Quote from: dec on November 04, 2008, 03:30:44 PM
I had to wait an hour and a half this morning to vote, way longer than in 2004, turnout looks to be way up.

In and out in less than 5 minutes.

The touch screen is the best.

Voted at the local school and ALL the kids were saying "I hope you voted for Obama" and these are 7-12 year old kids.

Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

pintsofguinness

Just watching coverage on the ITV news, McCain looks like a desperate oul man compared to Obama. 
Only one of them looks like a President. 
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

ExiledGael

At what stage of the night are we expecting to learn anything conclusive on the results?

ziggysego

Quote from: ExiledGael on November 04, 2008, 10:12:23 PM
At what stage of the night are we expecting to learn anything conclusive on the results?

From what I gathered on the news earlier, 6am is when it will be confirmed officially.
Testing Accessibility

DrinkingHarp

About 4 or 5 AM
Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

J70

It depends -  tight states and recounts could put it back for hours and hours.

Owenmoresider

Quote from: Billys Boots on November 04, 2008, 09:29:41 AM
QuoteSmooth talking can only take you so far, is there substance behind it?

The sad thing is, the electorate only appear to vote for the former.
Will he be like Blair in that respect I wonder? He'll not meet expectations I'd imagine, but probably won't get the road in 2012 in the manner that Carter did.

Not long to go now, if it's tight, I'd go 273-265 Obama, but it may well be bigger, no landslide though.

GalwayBayBoy

Owenmoresider

Early precincts in favouring McCain heavily in Kentucky, to be expected, with Obama narrowly ahead in Indiana. Early days though.