The 2008 US Election thread

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, January 04, 2008, 02:35:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who will win?

Obama
McCain

magpie seanie

Quote from: Tyrones own on January 10, 2009, 04:25:46 PM
Sure he's well over his head already with a number of top Dems scratching their heads
at some of his antics
... 10 more days is hardly gonna bring him up to speed ;D
And to think you boy's bought the Change Rhetoric  :D...
FFS it's nothing more than a third term for the Clintons, good luck with that!

Yeah, that actually getting elected tactic is just mad! Those "top Dems" are the people who actually managed to lose an election not once but twice to George W Bush who was one of the most unpopular Presidents in history.

As for the remark about the Clintons - nothing could be further from the truth. Obama has virtually guaranteed there will be no 3rd Clinton presidency.

Tyrones own

QuoteYeah, that actually getting elected tactic is just mad!

Antic Seanie..Antic... as in his appointees..oh why do i bother ::)

QuoteThose "top Dems" are the people who actually managed to lose an election not once but twice to George W Bush

I don't recall Diane Feinstein running for president....when was that Seanie ???

QuoteAs for the remark about the Clintons - nothing could be further from the truth. Obama has virtually guaranteed there will be no 3rd Clinton presidency.

Strong statement....I'd be fairly interested in how you came to that conclusion?

Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

Declan

Good piece from that looper Thompson on Bush. Obama mania is a bit much but when you're trying to reinvent a whole society and country, hype can help sometimes. 

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

J70

I'm not sure what you're gloating about TO.

I'm certain you're smart enough to realise that Obama (or any other president) cannot please everyone in his party all of the time. If it wasn't Feinstein and the CIA thing, it would be (and will be) someone else over some other issue. So what? The fact is that the vast majority of people have been impressed by most of the appointments Obama has made since the election. We have not seen Al Sharpton appointed head of HUD or Cindy Sheehan secretary of defense or whatever apparently apocalyptic appointments the right was predicting as they attempted to scare the electorate.

In what way has his performance been so laughable? I see comments from the crazier sections of the right all the time about how he's "in over his head". Personally, I think these people (and I don't know if you count yourself among them) would be saying the same shit no matter who he appointed. At least some of the right wing talking heads have the courage to give him credit where he has made appointments they like e.g. General Jones or Robert Gates, although they let themselves down by whinging because Rahm Emanuel has "sharp elbows", as if that were a rarity in Washington politics!

Tyrones own

I'm not gloating at all J...simply astonished as to how you idolatries aren't up in arms with his about face on his promises.
Would you disagree that the CIA thing wreaked of inexperience and opens himself up for ridicule that he is indeed
over his head in the position he's about to take on, not only in how he went about his choice but his actual
pick..a man with absolutely zero experience in the field of intelligence ???

I'm certain you're smart enough to realise that Obama (or any other president) cannot please everyone in his party all of the time.

Are you kidding me... after all thats been said here and reported in the media over the last 12 months  ???there was nothing at all he was
going to be unable to do once he got in to office... should you not be Beep Beeping backing up like that :D this is Barrack Obama we're talking about here :o

QuotePersonally, I think these people (and I don't know if you count yourself among them) would be saying the same shit no matter who he appointed.

That's true and of course if the shoe was on the other foot..... there wouldn't be a word out of your good self or the other worshipers ;)

- Walter Lippmann

Tyrones own

- Walter Lippmann

J70

Quote from: Tyrones own on January 11, 2009, 02:14:29 AM
I'm not gloating at all J...simply astonished as to how you idolatries aren't up in arms with his about face on his promises.
Would you disagree that the CIA thing wreaked of inexperience and opens himself up for ridicule that he is indeed
over his head in the position he's about to take on, not only in how he went about his choice but his actual
pick..a man with absolutely zero experience in the field of intelligence ???

I was surprised with his CIA choice given his other appointments in foreign policy/national security, but get a grip with the in over his head shite! Give the man a chance - a lot of what irritates the right about this guy is that he has opposed torture and rendition and lots of the other stuff that has alienated the vast majority of the planet. Anyway, he is not going to be working in a vacuum - the rest of the appointments in these areas appear to be perfectly acceptable to both sides. He will also be surrounded by career intelligence professionals. And besides, it is ironic that the CIA director now becomes the symbol of the impending failure of the Obama administration when the right was fully supportive of Bush's actions to downgrade the agency's role and influence.

I'm certain you're smart enough to realise that Obama (or any other president) cannot please everyone in his party all of the time.

Are you kidding me... after all thats been said here and reported in the media over the last 12 months  ???there was nothing at all he was going to be unable to do once he got in to office... should you not be Beep Beeping backing up like that :D this is Barrack Obama we're talking about here :o

You heard nothing of the sort from me. The likes of Rush Limbaugh might have lampooned him in that manner, but I don't recall the media saying he would be a cure for everything either. You'll obviously correct me if I'm wrong.

QuotePersonally, I think these people (and I don't know if you count yourself among them) would be saying the same shit no matter who he appointed.

That's true and of course if the shoe was on the other foot..... there wouldn't be a word out of your good self or the other worshipers ;)

If a Republican appointed experienced moderates as Obama, for the most part, has done, I certainly wouldn't be complaining that he wasn't fit for the job.

DrinkingHarp

Quote from: Tyrones own on January 11, 2009, 02:19:32 AM
http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/01/09/obamas-mother-in-law-to-move-into-the-white-house/

FFS what next..Air shocks and spinners on the Presidential Limo :D

What is wrong with a Grandmother helping out her grand children? She has been involved with the children since they were born. I would have given anything to know my grandparents but all were deceased when I was born except for my father's dad.

The Republicans preach family values  ::) and here is one of the best examples I have seen in a long time.
Better to have the Granny there instead of some nanny or special aide civilian.

T.O. the last statement a little racists there  :o
Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

Tyrones own

Ah the craics only starting lads...Bear with me, actually on second thoughts, I don't have time for this shite
just had a spare few minutes to ruffle some feathers..think it worked :P
I promise I'll only pop in to counter any hypocrisies that I happen to notice..
sure otherwise I'd be as bad and relentless as you lads 8)
  - Walter Lippmann

J70

Quote from: DrinkingHarp on January 11, 2009, 03:17:48 AM
http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/01/09/obamas-mother-in-law-to-move-into-the-white-house/

What is wrong with a Grandmother helping out her grand children? She has been involved with the children since they were born. I would have given anything to know my grandparents but all were deceased when I was born except for my father's dad.

The Republicans preach family values  ::) and here is one of the best examples I have seen in a long time.
Better to have the Granny there instead of some nanny or special aide civilian.

T.O. the last statement a little racists there  :o

Their family values bullshit is all about scaring the working class christians into voting for them. Who gives a f**k about healthcare or jobs heading south when there's sodomy going on in the bedroom down the street, there's black welfare mothers in Harlem driving huge cadillacs and them know-it-all science types are trying to teach our kids that monkeys are our kin!

And you're right, Obama's mother-in-law is a magnificent example to families everywhere.

DrinkingHarp

Quote from: Tyrones own on January 11, 2009, 03:27:33 AM
Ah the craics only starting lads...Bear with me, actually on second thoughts, I don't have time for this shite
just had a spare few minutes to ruffle some feathers..think it worked :P
I promise I'll only pop in to counter any hypocrisies that I happen to notice..
sure otherwise I'd be as bad and relentless as you lads 8)

No problem T.O. ::)

We know after you went through the Rush Limbaugh boot camp you have to hold appearances.
Just need to know about the oxycontin "vitamins" that Rush endorses, do you have to buy bulk or a monthly lot. ;)
Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

carribbear

I joked with my american based colleagues that they were considering building a Kentucky Fried Chicken next door to the White House. They took it in good jest as they themselves were joking about getting new tyre rims on the cars and installing boom boxes not to mention renaming the residence at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave to a different shade of paint.

J70

Quote from: carribbear on January 11, 2009, 05:54:30 AM

I joked with my american based colleagues that they were considering building a Kentucky Fried Chicken next door to the White House. They took it in good jest as they themselves were joking about getting new tyre rims on the cars and installing boom boxes not to mention renaming the residence at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave to a different shade of paint.

Don't forget the watermelon, the basketball hoop and the fire hydrant spraying water in the summer. ::)

I suppose it makes a change from the right wing outrage about the fact that Obama apparently eats arugula.