Capello set to sign huge contract

Started by GaillimhIarthair, December 14, 2007, 11:15:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GaillimhIarthair

Fabio Capello is set to become the richest coach in international football when he signs for a £6.5million-a-year contract to be the next England manager.

The Football Association board have approved a deal that will see Capello earn £4million annually after tax - the same as England captain John Terry's £130,000-a-week.

The size of the salary is an indication of the FA's determination to sign a 'world-class' coach after the failure to qualify for Euro 2008 cost them at least £12million and probably considerably more in terms of damage to the England brand.

The final details of the contract are expected to be hammered out today, after which it will be announced that Capello will bring three or four fellow Italians with him for his coaching staff, including his trusted aide Franco Baldini as his assistant.

The 61-year-old has also expressed a desire to have English coaches as part of his set-up as well, and will decide who these should be at a later date.

Contrary to some reports however, Baldini will not fulfil the role of the FA's technical director.

FA director of communications Adrian Bevington said: 'Discussions have continued throughout yesterday between the FA and Fabio Capello's advisors.

'The FA board has also approved Capello's appointment as England manager subject to the successful conclusion of these contract negotiations.

'I want to stress that there are no problems and that we are going through the necessary process to reach a successful conclusion.'

The FA board approved the appointment through a conference call, although at least one member felt the decision could have waited until next week's full board meeting on December 19, given the size of the contract.

FA chief executive Brian Barwick is keen to get the deal sewn up, however, and sees little to gain from delaying the decision.

Barwick is also comfortable with Capello's plans for his coaching staff, especially since the Italian himself proposed having English coaches as part of his set-up.

There will not be an immediate announcement of who these might be - candidates suggested have included Stuart Pearce and Alan Shearer - as it will be Capello who chooses them.

Baldini, who has worked with Capello at his former clubs Real Madrid, AC Milan and Juventus, said: "Capello will be England coach for sure.

'I understand the FA has, in principle, said 'yes' to me doing this job as well. If I do not, I think Capello will still be England coach, but maybe he will be a little less comfortable.'

lynchbhoy

English FA can afford it.

I think he will do a good job with them.
Wonder what odds england are to win the 2010 soccer world cup now ?
might be a good early bet...

Doogie Browser

Quote from: lynchbhoy on December 14, 2007, 11:53:14 AM

Are you serious LB?  He hasn't even signed yet and you have them lined up as world cup contenders, they do not have the ability to challenge at the very highest level and have not had for several years.
Save your money, they are rubbish and are at least a generation away from being anything close to World Cup Winners.
They are an average team in the scheme of things.  He is jumping on the gravy train, a good manager no doubt but even he cannot make this team into world beaters

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Doogie Browser on December 14, 2007, 12:26:18 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on December 14, 2007, 11:53:14 AM

Are you serious LB?  He hasn't even signed yet and you have them lined up as world cup contenders, they do not have the ability to challenge at the very highest level and have not had for several years.
Save your money, they are rubbish and are at least a generation away from being anything close to World Cup Winners.
They are an average team in the scheme of things.  He is jumping on the gravy train, a good manager no doubt but even he cannot make this team into world beaters
I dont love them, but they have got quite close in a few tournaments with disorganised teams and inept managers.

If a strict disciplinarian and pragmatist like Capello takes over, with no politics weighing him down telling him who to pick
then I feel he could vastly improve that england team and lets face it, intenational football is not that brilliant these days.
South american teams are skilful but can collapse at world cups like NZ in the rugby.
A def minded organised team that has a style to impose upon opponents with the talent that capello can pick from.
Well I think theyhave a great chance. Unfortunately. :D

red hander

You can't polish a turd.

Only when the english remove the inbred imperial arrogance from their collective DNA and start treating their opponents with a modicum of respect before they go on the pitch to play them will they progress ... i predict on this date 14/12/2007 that it will all end in tears a la the turnip, the swede, the umbrella man et al...

lynchbhoy

Quote from: red hander on December 14, 2007, 12:56:13 PM

Only when the english remove the inbred imperial arrogance from their collective DNA and start treating their opponents with a modicum of respect before they go on the pitch to play them will they progress

but thats it, I see capello as a man who will take no siht and MAKE them do as he wishes and turn the somewhat decent players along with good natural defenders into a good team.
He cant do any worse than the last two - they werent too far away from 'success' and they were complete clowns.

SeanSouth

Lynchboy....Capello has had huge success at CLUB level, he could go out and sign handpicked players......He will not have this luxury at England. He is there for the gravy, when Mc Claren got sacked he nearly came in his silk boxers, he declared it a "beautiful challenge", he was basically spreading his arse cheeks, applying some vaseline and saying "come and get me (but bring 6 mill with you"). He is being hailed a s some sort of Messiah......will the English ever learn?

Gabriel_Hurl

England will win the 2010 World Cup

I'm serious

SeanSouth

SeanSouth

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on December 14, 2007, 05:47:04 PM
football

You are entitled to your opinion but i would put every penny i had that they wont.

saffron

I agree that hes a good choice - probably exactly what they need. But you would hope that they put in a performance clause so that if they dont qualify or perform to a certain standard they can ditch him without the huge payment the last two clowns got

red hander

'Lynchboy....Capello has had huge success at CLUB level, he could go out and sign handpicked players......He will not have this luxury at England. He is there for the gravy, when Mc Claren got sacked he nearly came in his silk boxers, he declared it a "beautiful challenge", he was basically spreading his arse cheeks, applying some vaseline and saying "come and get me (but bring 6 mill with you"). He is being hailed a s some sort of Messiah......will the English ever learn?'

Men have earned poet laureate status for less...

Sean South, a beautiful, lyrical summary of the facts ...  THEY THINK THEY ARE BETTER THAN EVERYONE THEY PLAY ... they are patently not.   ALL THEY NEED IS HUMILITY, BUT HUMILITY IS NOT A FACET OF THE ENGLISH MAKE-UP

ziggysego

Saw this on Channel 4 news this evening. Channel 4 said there was a previous England managers quiz on their website, but warned viewers to becareful as there is questions about Venables. I chuckled for a second and then remembered... the bloodly FAI want him....
Testing Accessibility

full back

If Capello gets shot of the prima 'f**king' donnas or a least gets them to change their ways the money will be well spent