Thomas Davis Lose

Started by dublinfella, December 14, 2007, 11:07:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

his holiness nb

Quote from: dublinfella on December 14, 2007, 12:22:08 PM
Intersting that all the TD backers on here 'don't really care' despite vociferous defence of them.

I never vociferously defended them. Back in the time of the debates I pointed out that I wasnt too interested but the nature of the argument from the Rovers fans swung me against them.

Did anyone hear anything on the news about this? I cant find anything online.

Reports of TD board members texting Dublinfella seem a little strange given his fierce condemnation of TD over the past months.
Are you sure that wasnt a typo?  ;)
Ask me holy bollix

lynchbhoy

Quote from: dublinfella on December 14, 2007, 11:20:03 AM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on December 14, 2007, 11:14:41 AM
well in a way thats good news,
Once shamrock rovers get this gov funded stadium
we will be able to ask for all our provincial stadia to be refurbished and payed for by the Gov - as well as the new centre of excellence in Rathcoole paid for too.

A dangerous precedent is about to be set by the gov.

at least someone is being pragmatic. why the DCB didnt take that approach initally when they were offered matching funds is beyond me
From a sporting perspective
I didnt like the underhanded way that rovers were pretending that they wanted to be the main player in a municipal stadium that would be open to all sports. But this did not extend to GAA as the pitch would have to be longer, and they would have to demolish and rebuild at least one of the existing stands. But the sly way around this was to say they would be able to accomodate UNDERAGE GAA games (up until under 13 years of age as from under 14 onwards, they play in full size pitches). So to pretend they were going to be part of a municipal sproting project by doing this in order to receive public funding was disingenuous at best, a pack of lies and untruthful at worst.
It is just not nice to see such deceipt in society. I and many others were not taken in, and I suppose the DCB didnt like this lie about accomodating GAA games to be allowed (as most kids game up until u13 are played in local parks with portable collapsable goalposts).
Its an affront to intelligence and decency for rovers to go about it this way. they shoul dhave said it was their stadium and applied for a loan/partial grant like everyone else.
Why are they different, ok they are rubbish at money matters, but thats no fault of the taxpayer.

From a tax payers perspective
this precedent is a disaster as there will be hundreds of clubs now queuing up to get their stadium built .
The exchequer cannot possibly pay for all of these and a commercial venture and private sporting club such as shamrock rovers shoul dhave managed their funds etc far better than they have rather than having to rely (and get) state hand outs and leave the Gov exposed for legal actions arising when other sporting bodies and clubs dont get a similar pay day.
As a tax payer, I would have preferred if Rovers didnt get the full funds and got a partial donation - or even a loan.As mentioned earlier.

Jinxy

Quote from: dublinfella on December 14, 2007, 12:22:08 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on December 14, 2007, 11:36:40 AM
If it's true, then I agree with the sentiment here that Thomas Davis have had their day out in court and lost. They've made their point and argued their case, and lost. Time to move on now.

On a side note, regarding refusing leave to appeal. I'm no Perry Mason, but how is it allowed that a judge can deny leave to appeal? Can some of the legal minds on here enlighten me? I only ask because if I remember rightly, that Joe O'Reilly lad was denied leave as well, but is preparing an appeal which will be heard in the new year. What does "Denied Leave to Appeal" actually mean? It sounds as if the judge is saying, I've ruled, now don't dare question me to anybody else.

(I'm not saying TD should appeal by the way)

To appeal to the Supreme Court they would have to prove it is the 'national interest' to be heard. Its not.

Intersting that all the TD backers on here 'don't really care' despite vociferous defence of them. You had better start caring as costs here are in the low millions.

We'd all better hide our piggy banks so!
If you were any use you'd be playing.

lynchbhoy

Yes I backed TD because if you cant pay for something in this life, you usually dont go try getting it.

Michael Lynn of soon to be mountjoy will no doubt tell you that.

As a tax payer I dont like vital gov funds being gifted to a private organisation irrespective. I was equally unhappy about McCreevey donating millions for his pet project equestrian centre in kildare.
Id rather rovers looked after their own finances as 99.9999999999% of clubs can do,  or wind up the club if they cant.

tayto

I do care but we have to accept it at this point.  Use of Tallaght would have been very useful but the GAA will go on to develop their own facilities I'm sure.

Still dosent seem right that one club gets a facility like that built more or less for them.

his holiness nb

Still nothing online or the radio.
I'd have to be a bit wary of these reports until we get something concrete.

Dublinfella, nothing personal but given your previous condemnation of TD you can surely understand if people take the suggestion that TD are texting you from the courthouse with a pinch of salt.
Ask me holy bollix

GalwayBayBoy

Today the High Court ruled in favour of South Dublin County Counciland against Thomas Davis GAA club in the Judical Review of theTallaght community stadium.

This means that work can resume on the site and that Shamrock Roverscan look forward to moving into the stadium some time between the endof the 2008 and the start of the 2009 season.

Says Shamrock Rovers Chairman Jonathan Roche: "Obviously this is the news we were hoping for and it's fantastic for everyone involved at Shamrock Rovers.

"I want to thank everyone who supported us along the way, from theSouth Dublin County Council to the various politicians and the FAI -and of course our great fans.

"It's been 20 years since we lost Milltown, so we're at the end of along struggle. It's a great testament to the fans that they remainedloyal and they deserve this so much.

"It's just a relief to think that Rovers will finally have a home. We can start dreaming again, and carry on with the rebuilding process that began at the club two years ago."

his holiness nb

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on December 14, 2007, 12:51:07 PM
Today the High Court ruled in favour of South Dublin County Counciland against Thomas Davis GAA club in the Judical Review of theTallaght community stadium.

This means that work can resume on the site and that Shamrock Roverscan look forward to moving into the stadium some time between the endof the 2008 and the start of the 2009 season.

Says Shamrock Rovers Chairman Jonathan Roche: "Obviously this is the news we were hoping for and it's fantastic for everyone involved at Shamrock Rovers.

"I want to thank everyone who supported us along the way, from theSouth Dublin County Council to the various politicians and the FAI -and of course our great fans.

"It's been 20 years since we lost Milltown, so we're at the end of along struggle. It's a great testament to the fans that they remainedloyal and they deserve this so much.

"It's just a relief to think that Rovers will finally have a home. We can start dreaming again, and carry on with the rebuilding process that began at the club two years ago."

Thanks Galwaybayboy.
Ask me holy bollix

tayto

"Lost Milltown". ha ha ha. lost the money alright.

dublinfella

Quote from: lynchbhoy on December 14, 2007, 12:34:22 PM
Yes I backed TD because if you cant pay for something in this life, you usually dont go try getting it.

How much were the GAA offering to put into the costs of the facility....

I said from day one that this was a bad strategic move from the GAA. The PR has been a fiasco. TD are now facing a huge legal bill. Credibility went out the window when they said they didnt plan on using the facility themselves. There is no point bringing up the actual debate, as I was clearly right that TD had no case, but I'm amazed how quick Kennedy has been abandoned by a lot of you.

his holiness nb

Quote from: dublinfella on December 14, 2007, 12:59:36 PM

I said from day one that this was a bad strategic move from the GAA. The PR has been a fiasco. TD are now facing a huge legal bill. Credibility went out the window when they said they didnt plan on using the facility themselves. There is no point bringing up the actual debate, as I was clearly right that TD had no case, but I'm amazed how quick Kennedy has been abandoned by a lot of you.

Abandoned? Most here supported TD but now they have lost the case are mature enough to accept the decision of the court. We dont have to agree with it to accept it.

Rovers won, why are you still argueing?

Perhaps we are dissapointing some Rovers fans who wanted to see us cry about it more than we are so they could gloat on the Rovers site  ::)
Ask me holy bollix

lynchbhoy

as much as Rovers I believe....

zero

which as a taxpayer, why I have a big problem with this, and the precedent it sets.
Plus it shoots a hole in the entire argument used by rovers fans.
If its awarded then thats done and dusted, but there is no rationale behind telling people what to do when you dont actually own or fund something yourself and are given the entire monies to do so (under guise of building a municipal facility).

dublinfella

Quote from: lynchbhoy on December 14, 2007, 01:06:17 PM

zero

so Rovers are leeches and the GAA are what?  You cant have it both ways...

Anyway. Case closed, common sense prevailed, Rovers can get on with their lives and the DCB now will have to actually do something about a decent south side venue.

his holiness nb

Arent you going to wish us a Merry Christmas on your way out  ???
Ask me holy bollix

lynchbhoy

Quote from: dublinfella on December 14, 2007, 01:10:25 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on December 14, 2007, 01:06:17 PM

zero

so Rovers are leeches and the GAA are what?  You cant have it both ways...

Anyway. Case closed, common sense prevailed, Rovers can get on with their lives and the DCB now will have to actually do something about a decent south side venue.
I have edited the above...

but
I fully agree - you cant have it both ways, I certainly never expect something for nothing.
If the GAA were tenents in this ground and it was a municipal facility, then its gov owned and whoever the gov or local authority in charge of it says can play there, then they play there. They own it and make up the rules.
But thats the point, do you not see that rovers dont own it and therefore cannot make the rules on it....
so now its a soccer stadium payed for and owned by the gov.
thats actually fine - it should have been stated at the outset.
gove to build stadium for rovers, and as part of the deal, local schools and stuff in the community can and will be allowed use the grounds - effectively except GAA as the pitch is not big enough.
thats just a poor use of valuable community grounds and bad planning - but if it aint big enough, so what. We know and can accept that.
But it cant be called a venue for all sports - as it is not, furthermore until rovers actually pay for it, they do not own it.
I hope they do buy it back off the gov though. With the kids community proviso being part of the deal....

and untl then rovers are still leeches  :D