Sigerson 2008

Started by shark, December 12, 2007, 03:08:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Our Nail Loney

I think its funny.

Cheer up Nimbus!

Nimbus

It reeked of 2 guys trying to comfort / impress one another with daft wee statements such as the above.

Are the Poly hot favourites now for the title?

Our Nail Loney

J'Town were joint faves with Queens before the quarter final.

So I'd say now they would be odds on now. Especially as they are already in the final.

No odds available though because everything is up in the air.

I'm still hoping for the Gardai to be thrown out!! I had backed CIT before at 25/1!

mockba

Listen lads, a sigerson medal is a sigerson medal.  I do agree, that not having the Sigerson over the weekend is a big disappointment especially for Carlow.  But if j'town were to win it I would say they would treasure it just the same.

CIT have withdrawn their appeal so they are gone.  The Higher Education Council may have now no option but to investigate the guards or let them play GMIT asap

Final on the 9th April may still be on.

Our Nail Loney

Be safer jsut getting the semi final played as soon as possible, save as much credibility as they can instead of draggin it out more investigating and maybe causing more controversy.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Fair play Nial for your principled stand on this thread.

UUJ - the closest thing to professionalism in the GAA.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

laoisgaa

Remaining Sigerson Cup Fixtures
(As provisionally fixed tonight by Comhairle Ardoideachais CLG)

TUESDAY APRIL 8th
Ulster Bank Sigerson Cup Semi-final
GMIT v Garda College, 6.15pm at Kiltoom
(Extra-time if necessary)

TUESDAY APRIL 22nd
Ulster Bank Sigerson Cup Final
GMIT/Garda College v UUJ, 7.30pm at IT Carlow
(Extra-time if necessary)

mockba

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on March 27, 2008, 06:24:21 PM
Fair play Nial for your principled stand on this thread.

UUJ - the closest thing to professionalism in the GAA.
Great to see queens men backing each other up or is it cover up
Principled stand - your joking.  I notice when Mc Cartan , O' Kane  et al was mentioned the tread changed to scholarships, expenses and now professionalism

TacadoirArdMhacha as someone in the queens set up you should know better.  UUJ scholarship scheme is way behind DCU, UCD, WIT, LIT and even Maynooth. Is there is something wrong with scholarships?. If so what about the Gold, Silver and Bronze scholarship at queens.?  I also notice quite a few queens men (and UUJ) among the GPA scholarships announced during the week.  But typical queens - complain - complain and then eventually copy.
Lads be honest if you had a similar scheme in queens you would be singing it's praises from the roof tops.

doire na raithe

It's not the scholarships which are in question, I'm sure most will agree that helping a young lad financially to get to college on the back of sports achievement is a worthwhile venture... Its the other underhand means of attracting footballers with under the table financing.

Unfoirtunately, lest I get accused of being a hypocrite I'm going to have to stop there because if I were asked to produce evidence to back this up I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to.

behind the wire

heres the way i see it, having experienced it for a few years.

all fellas go to queens to study and maybe play a bit of football.

some, not all, fellas go to jtown simply to play football and maybe do a wee bit of studying.

although there have been a few lads who have hung on in somewhat dubious circumstances, they have all been queens men. i cant remember anyone coming to queens simply to play football.
He who laughs last thinks the slowest

doire na raithe

Fantastic argument high catch! I love the way you ripped him apart with your detailed analysis and witty retorts.

doire na raithe

But not in equal measures. There is a definately two different ethos' about the two institutions (nearly said universities there). Queen's is a university with a great sporting tradition outside of that but, as it has been alluded to, the Poly is a tech where players have just gone to play football and maybe gain some sort of qualification out of it.

behind the wire

high catch, can you name me one player who went to queens simply to play football ie was drafted in tommy joe style?
He who laughs last thinks the slowest

doire na raithe

mockba

I have never read such bullshit in my life.  The fact is,  UUJ is a very successful University with a range of excellent and attractive courses n par with anything at queens.  It doesn't have medicine or dentistry yet.
But it does have Physiotherapy, Sports Studies, Quantity Surveying, Engineering, Law, Businesses Studies and Accountancy.  Of course many choose UUJ because of the academic course but also a well organised GAA club
UUJ also have a better range of post graduate courses.  I think its the only place where you can do the postgrad/master in Accountancy.  The new masters in Coaching wll attract more in next year.
I know that many young people both male and female want to go to UUJ because of sport and that to me is great
Some of you need an education on what is actually happening at Queens   For the last 4 years  every All-Star student has  received a letter,even a phonecall to encourage them to go to queens and also explaining the scholarship system.  fair play to them I say but don't let on it doesn't happen.

The fact that more and more  are looked to go to UUJ, just means they are marketing themselves as the University for sport and it working.

and don't bring up the old grades chestnut, most courses in UU are equally as difficult to get into and the HND is the same as the foundation degree at queens
3A's for physiotherapy and 2A and a B for sport studies.