Yes
41 (39%)
No
64 (61%)

Total Members Voted: 105

Voting closed: December 19, 2007, 06:02:00 AM

heineken_on_tap

Quote from: tram on December 12, 2007, 02:10:51 PM
Well I'm deciding to make my own stand and not attend any Tyrone senior football games for the foreseeable future, the recent scenario putting a cap on the lid on how I've felt about certain players on the current team after what happened in 2006 after being beaten by Laois and my subsequent disinterest in the team since then, was at only one county match last year, the Ulster final and that was more to see the minors really. The reality is though that Bensars is correct, there is unlikely to be a significant drop in attendances for it to be noticeable; but the players whom then perform on the field better be ready to accept certain attitudes from supporters that goes along with being paid sportsmen.

Oh and if they were fortunate enough to be in Croke Park for the All-Ireland SFC final, no, I won't be getting a ticket, unless the minors are there.

But sure in all fairness you are not a real Tyrone or indeed a GAA supporter. So ye lost to Laois - hardly the end of the world.. Nothing would keep me away from Roscommon games next year and I have a feeling ye Tyrone people will have more to shout about than us

his holiness nb

I'd be interested to hear if he goes to club games before coming out and saying he aint a real GAA supporter.

Pretty shallow reasons to stop going to see your county though.

When I say shallow reason, I mean due to the lack of success, not the grants issue.
Ask me holy bollix

pintsofguinness

I voted yes, I won't be attending a county game for the foreseeable future. 
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

his holiness nb

Ask me holy bollix

Farrandeelin

Quote from: lynchbhoy on December 12, 2007, 01:21:39 PM
will go when possible
but I'll have great craic shouting at various players if they make mistakes - more so the high profile ones

'ya useless hoor *** - is that what we pay ya for'
'ya think you could score an easy point like that for the money yer earning'
etc etc etc

;) :D

Yea, that'll be good craic alright lynchboy. God help any Mayo player who puts it wide now!  :D
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

orangeman

heineken_on_tap

Quote from: tram on December 12, 2007, 05:59:33 PM
Quote from: heineken_on_tap on December 12, 2007, 05:37:28 PM
Quote from: tram on December 12, 2007, 02:10:51 PM
Well I'm deciding to make my own stand and not attend any Tyrone senior football games for the foreseeable future, the recent scenario putting a cap on the lid on how I've felt about certain players on the current team after what happened in 2006 after being beaten by Laois and my subsequent disinterest in the team since then, was at only one county match last year, the Ulster final and that was more to see the minors really. The reality is though that Bensars is correct, there is unlikely to be a significant drop in attendances for it to be noticeable; but the players whom then perform on the field better be ready to accept certain attitudes from supporters that goes along with being paid sportsmen.

Oh and if they were fortunate enough to be in Croke Park for the All-Ireland SFC final, no, I won't be getting a ticket, unless the minors are there.

But sure in all fairness you are not a real Tyrone or indeed a GAA supporter. So ye lost to Laois - hardly the end of the world.. Nothing would keep me away from Roscommon games next year and I have a feeling ye Tyrone people will have more to shout about than us

I'm sorry but who the f**k are you to come out with such a sweeping generalisation of a "real" supporter?

Maybe your right but I dont think anyone who considers themselves a real supporter would lose interest in their team after a loss to Laois(a decent side) , ONLY bother to go to the Ulster final(happened before the grants issue)  and not make the effort to look for a ticket IF their team  reached the All -Ireland final next year. I dont totally agree with the grants either but I would never stop supporting my club or county.

Tyrone Dreamer

You wouldnt be much of a supporter if you didnt support your county over this. From what I can see people in this country always try to find excuses for not attending matches anyway - the weather, the choice of venue, the time, disagree with certain players getting picked etc. For the sake of 20 or 30 quid a week this grant arguement has been blown out of all proportion. Like it or lump it the county players devote huge time to the games and their diet etc and hence the fact that county games are played at a faster pace than club games. County players are also singled out for much more individual abuse from the public than club players -look at the abuse McMenamin for example gets on here. At a time when players are being lost to other sports I think I small benefit like this cant do any harm for rewarding the players whop stick with the games. The county players also help generate huge revenue for the gaa and every time they go on the pitch are subject to much greater scrutiny from tv and the terraces than the average club player. Theres club players who have done a lot worse than McMenamin but dont be called a tr**p regularly. Finally due to the distances involved county players regularly have to leave work early on a Friday etc which can cause problems with their employers and leaves them having to work up time etc. Im not in favour of professionalism or anything like that and was certainly against the strike but cant see anything wrong with the players getting a small reward like this to reflect their efforts and extra pressure they can be put under.

his holiness nb

Tram, I was actually defending you in that I dont think you should be titled "not a real GAA supporter" solely based on not going to see your county.
I know several "real" GAA men who work endlessly for their club but rarely go to county games, these men are more "real GAA fans" than guys who do nothing but turn up for intercounty games.
I would regard you, based on what you have done, as much more of a "real GAA fan" than many people who attend all county games and do feck all at club level.
I did say that lack of success of your county team isnt a great reason for stopping going, but never once suggested you werent a "real GAA fan".
This was Heineken on Tap.

I also understand if you didnt go to games because of the grants, totally understand.

Regarding your past persona, you have me confused, I never once suggested I knew who you were in the past and didnt even suspect you were here before it until your post.

I think you might have misread my post or else confused mine with someone elses, the only point of my last post was to say its not right to say you arent a real GAA supported based on your reasons for not attending county games as we had no idea how much effort you may put in at club level.

If theres something in particular I said to give any other impression let me know and I'll edit it as I genuinely didnt mean anything else.

Ask me holy bollix

his holiness nb

No probs, its just the whole post was started with HHNB.
Do what you like county wise, its what you do at club level that makes you a GAA man.
Ask me holy bollix

TacadoirArdMhacha

Voted No. I'm not in favour of the grants but I really can't see it stopping me supporting Armagh. Much as I think any form of professionalism would be hugely determental to the GAA, I support other professional sports so it'd be a bit hypocritical to stop supporting my county team over the grants.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

reddgnhand

I've decided not to attend any county matches for now. Part of the appeal to me was supporting your team knowing they were playing for the love of the jersey. Thats gone now and i am angry and sad that the GPA has brought us this. Its so devisive and all for the sake of 1500 euro. As if Dessie is going to stop at that. We are heading towards a situation where Counties who can pay the biggest "grants" will have the pick of the land. These type of sport grants should only be paid to those that need them,to athletes that need financial assistance to help them compete at the highest level. Our county players certainly dont need them. 1500 euro is not going to improve standard of play or make them better players.            

inisceithleann

I'll not be home for any of the Fermanagh games but I would still attend. I really am still divided on the whole issue. Tom Brewster came out in the local press a few months ago and said that he had lost a weeks wages after spending time in an ice chamber, trying to get fit. He received no financial support from the GAA. That cannot be right? But on the other hand why is the county player to be favoured over a selfless volunteer working at the club all year round? Surely there is a middle ground somewhere?
Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth

tyrone86

Probably not. It's the proverbial cutting off your nose to spite your face. I still expect I'll get enjoyment from the County team, and despite the fact there are a couple of mercenaries playing, I'd like to think the vast majority are still there for love of the game.

ONeill

QuoteI've decided not to attend any county matches for now.

As does 70%  of the population in December/January.....
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.