Would you take the grant if offered?

Started by Denn Forever, December 10, 2007, 03:27:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

5 Sams

Quote from: clarshack on December 10, 2007, 03:52:21 PM
would take it and give it to my club.

I have heard that several high profile players in Down are doing exactly that. Fair play to them.

BTW aren't these payments performance based?

In that case some clubs in Down will get close to fifty quid each if they have two county players ;) :P ;D

(I thought I'd say it before some of youse Armagh hoors did!!)
The Aristocrat Years

rrhf

BTW,  very few Senior intercounty players live the life of an elite athlete.    Any that claim this, well their heads are squarely up their holes. 

Tubberman

QuoteQuote
Mind you I never had that opportunity but I would leave the GAA before holding it to ransom

Could you explain how taking a grant of €2500 from the govt can be considered holding the GAA to ransom??

i think he's referring to the threat of a strike.

Fair enough, I misunderstood the point he was making. I was against the strike threat and I'm not a GPA supporter. Dessie Farrell, more than anyone else in the GPA makes my blood boil - an arrogant, greedy man.
But I don't have a problem with the principle of the govt giving a grant to the players.
If some players feel it goes against the GAA values, then donating the money to their clubs is an excellent idea.
But some of the reactions on this board have been way OTT in my opinion.  
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

orangeman

GPA and Principles don't really sit well together.  ;)

full back

TBH the thing that annoyed the hell out of me more than anything else was the threat of a STRIKE.
How the fcuk can the GPA hold everyone to ransom & expect any sort of support?
If the GPA dont get their way with the next demand will they threaten to strike again?

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: Denn Forever on December 10, 2007, 03:27:35 PM
Would you take the grant if offered?

Possibly.

But I wouldn't demand to be paid for training/playing either.
i usse an speelchekor

orangeman

Do you not have to be in a job to strike ?

his holiness nb

I wouldnt take it,incidentally I have just counted 14 gpa/grants related threads on the first 2 pages  :o
Ask me holy bollix

pintsofguinness

Quote from: full back on December 10, 2007, 03:47:43 PM
You would need to have very very strong principles to say no

Not at all.
If I took it and pocketed it there's several dozen in my club I wouldn't be fit to look in the eye. 

You'd want to have some head on you to take it, as I've said before, how many of these county players come from club struggling to pay bills?
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

tayto

Quote from: Tubberman on December 10, 2007, 04:39:54 PM
QuoteQuote
Mind you I never had that opportunity but I would leave the GAA before holding it to ransom

Could you explain how taking a grant of €2500 from the govt can be considered holding the GAA to ransom??

i think he's referring to the threat of a strike.

Fair enough, I misunderstood the point he was making. I was against the strike threat and I'm not a GPA supporter. Dessie Farrell, more than anyone else in the GPA makes my blood boil - an arrogant, greedy man.
But I don't have a problem with the principle of the govt giving a grant to the players.
If some players feel it goes against the GAA values, then donating the money to their clubs is an excellent idea.
But some of the reactions on this board have been way OTT in my opinion.   

Yea, agree with most of what you're saying. Terrible to fall out with one of my hero's but Dessie hasn't handled this well at all.

FTJC

Quote from: darbyo on December 10, 2007, 03:43:29 PM
If I was playing IC for the last 3 years and the government said we now want to give you 2.5K for doing that, then yes I'd take it. If in 3 years time the government said sorry lads but we can't afford to give you the grant anymore then I'd say fine and continue playing for my county. So to sum up I'm not playing for the money but if the government is willing to pay me for doing something I already do then yes I'd take it.

I agree with you. But the problem is that its' a GAA body giving out the money. I'd listen to your side of the argument if the sports council were dealing with this whole situation, but they're not.

So, if, in 10 year time the GPA turn around and say "we want more!" 
GAA say "But sure yer amateurs we can't give ye more than yer award from the sports council"
GPA "We want more coz the cost of living is gone up, we're missing out on overtime, i can't buy a house, the beemer needs a service, the missus needs new knickers and the young fella is gone crazy on the coco pops"
GAA "Tough titty we're not paying anymore"
GPA "Right so. We're going on strike!".............

By the way whose to say the above won't happen if the county boards now decide to take a hardline stance on all the freebies that were flying players way up to now. County boards would be well entitled to follow the guidlines on player welfare to the letter now, especially seeing as players are getting a furhter subsidy anyway.

DMarsden

As soon as i saw the name of this thread i thought to myself "there's gonna be a whole lot of easy posts on this one". it'd be far more pertinent at the end of the year to see how many of those who qualified for the grant turned it down.

A GOOD friend of mine has already been offered double his grant total if he will turn it down officially and say publicly its because he feels it's against the ethos of the GAA.

DMarsden

Obviously the nayesayers have PR all on their side already so i really don't see the reasoning. but desperate times and all that...

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: DMarsden on December 10, 2007, 06:39:14 PM
A GOOD friend of mine has already been offered double his grant total if he will turn it down officially and say publicly its because he feels it's against the ethos of the GAA.

I'm sure (seeing as you seem to present yourself as the self-appointed adjudicator of post quality on here) you'll actually provide some verifiable evidence of this.
i usse an speelchekor

ziggysego

I wouldn't take a penny or cent of the 'grant'.
Testing Accessibility