Would you take the grant if offered?

Started by Denn Forever, December 10, 2007, 03:27:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Denn Forever

I'd love play senior county football for Cavan and win Ulster.

I would expect not be out of pocket if I travel to training.

I would hope that my employer would support me with time off etc.

If not, I'd have to think about it but bottom line is that I would be doing it for pride and enjoyment. 

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

darbyo

If I was playing IC for the last 3 years and the government said we now want to give you 2.5K for doing that, then yes I'd take it. If in 3 years time the government said sorry lads but we can't afford to give you the grant anymore then I'd say fine and continue playing for my county. So to sum up I'm not playing for the money but if the government is willing to pay me for doing something I already do then yes I'd take it.

pintsofguinness

Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

full back

You would need to have very very strong principles to say no

rrhf

Mouse will always take the "more cheese" option and lets put it like this no one in their right mind in this day and age will turn away money,  but rule 11 is in place to protect us from ourselves and has served us well to this point. We crossed that line on Saturday under pressure from the ultimate rump.

rrhf

I wouldnt.  Mind you I never had that opportunity but I would leave the GAA before holding it to ransom.  Others differ.

lynchbhoy

I wouldnt take the money if offered it as a player.

Precedent has already been set, as I have already refused money in this country and in NY.

(prob could make a case for saying I was offered the money to NOT play )

thebandit

Not a hope would I take it. I got a few pounds from the club for an injury 2 years ago and I donated it straight back because I wasn't out of work because of it.

clarshack

orangeman

So whatever you work at - let's say you're a joiner getting £ 400 a week

And this was your rate for the past 3 years

In year 4, the boss says you're getting a cut to £ 250 a week / what would you do ?

lynchbhoy

Quote from: orangeman on December 10, 2007, 03:52:57 PM
So whatever you work at - let's say you're a joiner getting £ 400 a week

And this was your rate for the past 3 years

In year 4, the boss says you're getting a cut to £ 250 a week / what would you do ?

....start playing rugby....

actually I'd have emigrated to America after the end of year one!

rrhf

Tubberman

QuoteMind you I never had that opportunity but I would leave the GAA before holding it to ransom

Could you explain how taking a grant of €2500 from the govt can be considered holding the GAA to ransom??

And yes, I'd take it. It's a govt grant of a couple of grand, its not like the GAA are paying a wage to the players. If the GAA were paying it themselves, then I probably wouldn't take it.

Personally I think it's more damaging to the core GAA values when you have players getting paid to give up their day jobs so they can concentrate on football full time. Or the likes of Thomas Walsh moving from Carlow to Wicklow, and intercounty players moving to big Dublin clubs with questionable motives.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

tayto

Quote from: Tubberman on December 10, 2007, 04:18:55 PM
QuoteMind you I never had that opportunity but I would leave the GAA before holding it to ransom

Could you explain how taking a grant of €2500 from the govt can be considered holding the GAA to ransom??

i think he's referring to the threat of a strike.

rrhf

The grant came from the government
The GPA held the GAA to ransom by the threat of strike action.. yes or no!
The leadership of the GPA is reprehensible enough without forgetting its most recent history and threats.
I wouldnt mind hearing a few county players speaking their own mind?
I think the free holidays in Tyrone football are about to dry up.
Lerts get back to the clubs and rebuild the association through strenrgthening them.