The World footballers of the year..........

Started by Over the Bar, December 01, 2007, 12:08:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Over the Bar

Kaka, Ronaldo & Messi.....all technically midfield players and it didn't take a genius panel to work that choice out!   Stevie diver didn't make the cut unsurprisingly!

Square Ball

and who is gona win it?

as much as i would like to see Ronaldo win it, it will bw Kaka
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

gerry

Ronaldo, much improved from his early Utd days.  Though "Healy was The World footballer of the year..........  "Sorry reading the newsletter to much"
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

J70

Quote from: Over the Bar on December 01, 2007, 12:08:31 AM
Kaka, Ronaldo & Messi.....all technically midfield players and it didn't take a genius panel to work that choice out!   Stevie diver didn't make the cut unsurprisingly!

Judging by Ronaldo's presence, diving obviously wasn't much of a factor against selection. Gerrard didn't deserve to get anywhere near that list this year anyway.

Kaka will win it.

Torres to win it next year! ;)

SeanSouth

Would you explain this nonsense......

Galwaybhoy

No McGeady... :o

Oh and I hope Kaka wins it, I dont like that over rated players such as Ronaldo.

The Watcher Pat

Quote from: J70 on December 01, 2007, 01:04:14 AM

Judging by Ronaldo's presence, diving obviously wasn't much of a factor against selection. Gerrard didn't deserve to get anywhere near that list this year anyway.

Kaka will win it.

Torres next year? Your having a laugh...Cesc Fabregas is by far the best and most consistent player in England...if he has a good European Championship next summer he will walk it.
Then again he plays for Arsenal and they have something against Arsenal...Thierry Henry was the best player by miles on the planet for 2-3 years and didn't win it.....but Michael Owen has???
There is no I in team, but if you look close enough you can find ME

gawa316

As far as I know they don't hand the award out for players who have a good start to the season, its over the whole season. Yes cesc has been amazing (so far) but he'll have to keep producing over the remainder of the season.

Plus I don't think Owen ever won this award

J70

Quote from: The Watcher Pat on December 01, 2007, 11:13:18 AM
Quote from: J70 on December 01, 2007, 01:04:14 AM

Kaka will win it.

Torres next year? Your having a laugh...Cesc Fabregas is by far the best and most consistent player in England...if he has a good European Championship next summer he will walk it.
Then again he plays for Arsenal and they have something against Arsenal...Thierry Henry was the best player by miles on the planet for 2-3 years and didn't win it.....but Michael Owen has???

Yes, all of the managers and captains across the planet are specifically biased against Arsenal and Thierry Henry. Grow up for f**k's sake. Over the past few years, Cannavarro, Ronaldinho (twice) and Zidane have won it. Henry came second in 2003 and 2004.

And Owen won the Ballon d'Or, a different award, for what was then European Footballer of the Year, BTW. Henry came third in this award in 2006 and second in 2003. The prejudice is obvious!

J70

Kaka won the Ballon d'Or for European footballer of the year. Ronaldo second, Messi third.

The following get "honourable mentions":

Didier Drogba, Andrea Pirlo, Ruud van Nistelrooy, Zlatan Ibrahimović, Cesc Fabregas, Robinho, Francesco Totti, Frédéric Kanouté, Ronaldinho, Steven Gerrard, Juan Román Riquelme, Daniel Alves, Filippo Inzaghi, Franck Ribéry, Paolo Maldini, Gianluigi Buffon, Petr Čech, Gennaro Gattuso, Thierry Henry, and Clarence Seedorf.

under the bar

QuoteThierry Henry was the best player by miles on the planet for 2-3 years and didn't win it.....but Michael Owen has???

Henry in a one trick show-pony.  Michael Owen never won it

imtommygunn

Henry never did it when it counted.

His interview post the champions league final a few years ago summed up why that's the case - looking for excuses. Very talented player whose talent I admire but great players stand up when it counts - have yet to see him do this.

Is Keegan not the only English man to have won this? Or am I getting completely confused between world and european footballer?

It;s european footballer of the year I was thinking of which Owen,and Matthews, has won.

http://worldsoccer.about.com/od/historyandstats/l/bl_europlayer.htm

Here's the world list. Plenty of second places for the english - as usual....

http://www.answers.com/topic/fifa-world-player-of-the-year

full back

Quote from: J70 on December 02, 2007, 02:44:14 PM
Kaka won the Ballon d'Or for European footballer of the year. Ronaldo second, Messi third.

Didier Drogba, Andrea Pirlo, Ruud van Nistelrooy, Zlatan Ibrahimović, Cesc Fabregas, Robinho, Francesco Totti, Frédéric Kanouté, Ronaldinho, Steven Gerrard, Juan Román Riquelme, Daniel Alves, Filippo Inzaghi, Franck Ribéry, Paolo Maldini, Gianluigi Buffon, Petr Čech, Gennaro Gattuso, Thierry Henry, and Clarence Seedorf.

Is this based on the calendar year or last season?
If it is based on last season some of the 'honourable mentions' are a joke

new devil

Quote from: full back on December 03, 2007, 09:50:15 AM
Quote from: J70 on December 02, 2007, 02:44:14 PM

Is this based on the calendar year or last season?
If it is based on last season some of the 'honourable mentions' are a joke

WTF

slow corner back

Quote from: imtommygunn on December 02, 2007, 09:56:13 PM
Henry never did it when it counted.

His interview post the champions league final a few years ago summed up why that's the case - looking for excuses. Very talented player whose talent I admire but great players stand up when it counts - have yet to see him do this.

Is Keegan not the only English man to have won this? Or am I getting completely confused between world and european footballer?

It;s european footballer of the year I was thinking of which Owen,and Matthews, has won.

http://worldsoccer.about.com/od/historyandstats/l/bl_europlayer.htm

Here's the world list. Plenty of second places for the english - as usual....

http://www.answers.com/topic/fifa-world-player-of-the-year

Did Bobby Charlton not win this in the sixties? In fact I thought, although I may well be wrong that Best and Law had won it as well.