Meeting of Grassroots to Discuss our Strategy re GPA

Started by Seany, November 30, 2007, 11:20:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: ONeill on December 10, 2007, 10:07:41 PM
Explain this please. If not, give it a year or two and come back on here.

When you post

QuoteAnyone with Tyrone GAA at heart will not be affected, especially after the dust has settled and the red mist clears.

You are clearly implying that those leaving as a result of the grant aren't protesting for the good of the GAA or are somehow less committed to the ideals of the GAA.

Indeed, it is somewhat ironic that you are questioning the commitment of people opposed to any volunteer receiving money for their time.
i usse an speelchekor

behind the wire

darbyo, dont use the example of paid administrators anymore. it has been trotted out already.

another thing to be cleared up. the rule 21/rule42 debates bear no resemblance to this current debate regarding pay for play/ professionalism.

rule 21 - in my opinion the abolition was fair enough. forward thinking. didnt bother me in the slightest.

rule 42 - i was against it. but seeing as it is only temporary and has obvious financial incentives for the gaa during the temporary period i was willing to let it go. it doesnt really effect our games that much at the end of the day.

grants issue - completely different. strikes at the core principle of the organisation.
He who laughs last thinks the slowest

Uladh

I look away for two minutes and you clowns are fightin and batin other like its black eyed friday all year. who's gonna fight the brits while we're fightin each other?

rrhf

orangeman

billy the kid

Quote from: DMarsden on December 01, 2007, 03:36:53 PM
Government funded grants administered by the sports council, which will put a small hole in the expenses intercounty players incur over the course of a year is progress. anyone who opposes it on the basis that the big bad wolf is going come in the night is the modern day version of the catholic church of the 60s

Pay for Play?

Your going to have to substantiate that nonsense claim

you really are a knob!

small hole in the expenses intercounty players incur over the course of a year
they already get fed and get very good travelling expenses so if 1500 euro only puts a small hole in the rest of their expenses what are they doing??

without a doubt you are a GPA prima donna as only a self serving idiot from that crowd of money grabbing gab shites would come out with that.

You make allegations on this thread and on many of the rest you can never back up and when asked to you either ignore it or make some other stupid arguement.  For once have the balls to back your claims up or shut up!!

Nobody makes them play if  its to much of a demand on their time and effort and if they feel it is interfering with any other aspect of their life QUIT!! Nobodys stopping you!!

If it moves hit it
If it doesnt hit it anyway!!

DMarsden

DMarsden

Movig forward, the GAA's immediate task should be to strengthen this

Quote from: ONeill on December 11, 2007, 08:54:34 PM
Rule 11:

he Association is an Amateur Association. A player, team,
official or member shall not accept payment in cash or in
kind in conjunction with the playing of Gaelic Games. A
player, team, official or member shall not contract
himself/itself to any agent other than those officially
approved by Central Council. Expenses paid to all
officials, players, and members shall not exceed the
standard rates laid down by the Central Council. Members
of the Association may not participate in full-time training.
This rule shall not prohibit the payment of salaries or
wages to employees of the Association.
Penalty: Twenty four weeks suspension or expulsion

The GAA needs to re-word - or abolish - rule 11.

If rule 11 were to be modernised and more specific then a lot of ills in the association could be some way to being cured. If everyone were to sign up to what could become a recognised amateur code, including the gpa, then a lot of fears could be allayed. for example, any reworking of rule 11 could specifically prohibit the movement towards GAA grants in the eventuality that the government withdrew their funding. the difficulty there would be the third level grants that the GAA fund directly. payment of managers could also be specifically addressed in any reworking.

Bogball XV

Quote from: DMarsden on December 12, 2007, 11:25:14 AM
A very well reasoned and forthright argument.
Well, you've been asked numerous times to explain how a player is financially worse off for playing intercounty football and have thusfar ignored the question.  If you could explain, perhaps more people would come on board.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: DMarsden on December 12, 2007, 11:31:51 AM

Movig forward, the GAA's immediate task should be to strengthen this

Agreed.

I also think clear time restrictions on county and club training should be enforced, thus the 'need' for players to be recompensed for their time would not be as 'acute' as it is now. An added benefit might be a re-focussing of the games (at inter county level) on skill rather than fitness.
i usse an speelchekor

DMarsden

Quote from: Bogball XV on December 12, 2007, 11:58:54 AM
Well, you've been asked numerous times to explain how a player is financially worse off for playing intercounty football and have thusfar ignored the question.  If you could explain, perhaps more people would come on board.

Actually, that's the first time i've been asked that but don't let that detract from your post. i'd have been very happy to point you in the direction of the independent actuary's report of a few years ago which is readily available online. it estimates that an IC player is out of pocket upwards of E100,000 over the course of a ten year career.

Bogball XV

Quote from: DMarsden on December 12, 2007, 12:06:25 PM
Quote from: Bogball XV on December 12, 2007, 11:58:54 AM

Actually, that's the first time i've been asked that but don't let that detract from your post. i'd have been very happy to point you in the direction of the independent actuary's report of a few years ago which is readily available online. it estimates that an IC player is out of pocket upwards of E100,000 over the course of a ten year career.
Now, do you think I would have commented that you'd been asked before on this subject if you hadn't?

Quote from: Bogball XV on December 08, 2007, 05:52:35 PM

Quote from: DMarsden on December 08, 2007, 05:18:23 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on December 08, 2007, 05:12:19 PM
The government can say whatever they want - the gaa pays players expenses, how can more money be expenses?

Obviously the Government, having professional people to deal with these things, feel the gaa don't adequately meet their responsibilities towards their IC players.
But you're probably right.

You'll be delighted that FF have registered up north given your sycophantic utterings on them here.  Now, why don't you answer PoG's question?  Why don't you let us know exactly what the non-recompensed costs to an intercounty player are?  Can you give us a breakdown of the 100K that the average intercounty players loses out on over his career?

Now, once again, instead of referring to the report, would you have a link to it? 

DMarsden

rrhf

Dmarsden why you use assuming it is not your own the name of a great GAA man as if to reinforce the view that he would in any way be supportive of your aims.  Did you pay him image rights?