Meeting of Grassroots to Discuss our Strategy re GPA

Started by Seany, November 30, 2007, 11:20:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

his holiness nb

If thats whats happening should club players, mentors, PRO's, Club chairmen etc etc "shut up and sit in the corner and be happy with what all the "benefits" that they "all" enjoy" ?
Or should they look for grants too? Given how much they give to the association, and lets not say they dont bring 80,000 people to Croke park. Without them there would be no intercounty players.
Ask me holy bollix

believebelive

Are you for real clubmember?

You said 'as far as I know the GPA voted aganst pay for play at an AGM' - you see I deal with specifics - if you can't back up something you present as a fact with evidence then please do not say it - it is the biggest single fault of posters on this board.

Your point about being in the championship for longer is the one aspect where the GPA have managed to hoodwink everyone - now listen carefully - The figures which were released in April meant that the further you got the more you could claim on a per week basis - so if you got to an all ireland final u cud claim 94 euro per week from feb to sept but if you got knocked out in the second round qualifier you only cud claim 73 euro per week from feb to middle of july - so while both men were still in the championship the all ireland finalists could claim 20 euro more per week. OK. The system, if it is only to cover expenses incured,  implies that because you are an all ireland winner you will have more expenses in feb than if you are a second round loser. WTF???
Now b4 anyone jumps down my throat I know there has been no figures released for this latest document but I am just pointing out that despite the spin put on this by the GPA the original figures always favoured those who got further by giving them more money on a per week basis.

And what are u on about with the third point - are u saying i shud possibly leave the association cos i do not agree with its core princiapals!!!!! I do agree with the core principals which is why i keep rasing the issue!!!!!

Sorry just seen you say £20 per week for the players!!!! where does that figure come from - thin air i presume!!!

full back

Quote from: Clubmember on December 05, 2007, 04:35:44 PM
They were willing to go on strike over the principal not the amount involved. Everybody saying this is professionaism and pay for play etc. I hardly think that aprox £20 a week is what they were striking over do you honestly think it would be worth the grief?!  It's a pity people didn't see that it's not all about the money but the principle of recognising players for what they are and what they bring to the association rather than telling them to shut up and sit in the corner and be happy with what all the "benefits" that they "all" enjoy

What are you on about Clubmember?
Are you saying the players only want recognition of waht they contribute to Irish society?
You say "I hardly think that aprox £20 a week is what they were striking over"
Why the threat of a strike?
Is the only way to give people recognition by giving them money?

darbyo

Why is that a good post? The GPA don't represent those people, they got money out of the government for their members, should they work on behalf of runners, rowers etc. as well? Dose the fact that I have never been at a handball match or played or coached the game make me less of a GAA man?

believebelive

Quote from: full back on December 05, 2007, 05:07:18 PM
Quote from: Clubmember on December 05, 2007, 04:35:44 PM
They were willing to go on strike over the principal not the amount involved. Everybody saying this is professionaism and pay for play etc. I hardly think that aprox £20 a week is what they were striking over do you honestly think it would be worth the grief?!  It's a pity people didn't see that it's not all about the money but the principle of recognising players for what they are and what they bring to the association rather than telling them to shut up and sit in the corner and be happy with what all the "benefits" that they "all" enjoy

What are you on about Clubmember?
Are you saying the players only want recognition of waht they contribute to Irish society?
You say "I hardly think that aprox £20 a week is what they were striking over"
Why the threat of a strike?
Is the only way to give people recognition by giving them money?

Full back, what is worse is the figure he uses of £20 per week? Where the hell is he getting that from?? You see its that sort of misleading statement used to back up an argument that annoys me - £20 a week FFS

heganboy

Quote£20 a week FFS

Why is this misleading?

20 quid at todays rates is 27.6502 euro a week (1404 euro a year), which is the more than the minimum amount of the grant scheme.

so technically its less than 20 quid a week...
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

believebelive

Quote from: heganboy on December 05, 2007, 06:22:05 PM
Quote£20 a week FFS

Why is this misleading?

20 quid at todays rates is 27.6502 euro a week (1404 euro a year), which is the more than the minimum amount of the grant scheme.

so technically its less than 20 quid a week...

Ah somebody has fallen for the old trap

Its misleading for a number of reasons. The original proposal in april was based on participation between feb and the end of the champ - so it was a max of 7 and half months months u got to the all ireland final( of course u got 2800 if you got that far - that works out at 373 per month or 93 euro per week - now if u were unlucky enough to get knocked out n the second round of the qualifiers then you got 1650 for you five and a half months work - that is 75 euro per week. 

Now. To be absoutley clear about this there has been no figures released relating to the latest figures but it says quite clearly that the grants are only determined from the end of the champ which reduces this time frame radically.

The GPA neevr said this was for a year long commitment toplaying niter county football.

If the GPA said this was for the whole year then fine - but wait, then they would have to argue in favour of a 12 month season - this agreement means that some poor bollox could train from november to april - then get dropped and get sweet FA. Fair??

his holiness nb

Train AND play competitively, but if he is dropped before the championship, he aint an intercounty player  ;)
Ask me holy bollix

heganboy

Ah, true, but it is a year long commitment to play for the county. Otherwise you could look at it as 600 euro an hour for the 2 championship games that those who are out first will play...
Its not an old trap- its number manipulation for the purposes of supplementing an argument. You could say 600 euros an hour or 20 quid a week, technically you'd both be right.

There are lies, damn lies and statistics
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

his holiness nb

Re a year long commitment, if you mean training etc, then that applies to club players too.

Re playing we have two options..
1) train all year long, play all O'Byrne (or your own local one) cup, and national league games, dropped for Championship, earn NOTHING.
2) train all year long, sit out O'Byrne (or your own local one) cup, and national league games, picked for championship, GET THE GRANT.

Option one, will most likely involve playing in more intercounty competitive games than option 2. You have a problem.
Ask me holy bollix

Sky Blue

Fairplay to the Ulster lads for organising this. I have an open mind on the issue. Can someone post what happened.

pintsofguinness

Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Over the Bar

Quotewell what happened?

Dessie Farrel was ceremoniously hung on the bridge at Toome!

Bogball XV

Quote from: pintsofguinness on December 05, 2007, 09:26:02 PM
well what happened?
Big row, Max was a marked man, they'd heard about how he was going to wear the Bellaghy shirt, he never stood a chance.  Cassidy would have saved him, but Max never got a chance to find a phone booth to change his clothes in and of course, Max being a true pro, he took the pummelling rather than reveal his true identity.

Aristotle Flynn

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion.