Meeting of Grassroots to Discuss our Strategy re GPA

Started by Seany, November 30, 2007, 11:20:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stephenite

Quote from: orangeman on December 17, 2007, 02:19:33 PM
Just reading on the RTE website, Colm Bradley, Fermanagh senior footballer had a motion put to Fermanagh AGM last night urging all counties to debate the grants issue thoroughly. The story is set to run for another while it seems.

The most sensible way IMO is to have this debated at congress and a vote taken, that they have tried to push through at Central Council level is fairly indicative of how the GAA have approached this issue and I really have to question their motives on this. Are they so beholden to sponsors and TV money that the thought of the strike allows them to sell off the family china?

I know the arguments that the decision to allow Central Council deal with this has been in the public domain for long enough but it's a moot point really, a lot of the ordinary members of our association are unaware at the best of times what is going on with the political machinations of the association at the highest level, they're too busy marking pitches and taking the kids training

The decision to go ahead with County Boards paying the grants should only be taken after a vote from congress allows it - probably not going to happen.

The compromise for me would be that congress allow for Central Council to hire a reputable accounting or consultancy firm to distribute the grants on behalf of the GAA.

Congress (ergo the members) need to be given the final say, as happened with Rule 42, but this is so much more important.

Zapatista

Quote from: Real Talk on December 17, 2007, 12:13:53 AM
I believe the opposition to the Grants issue should be stopped.  This has the potential to become an unnecessarily divisive issue which will have NO long term benefit to the GAA.  It has originated from an essentially Ulster says NO mindset and we all know some examples for that:  
Paisley says 'No to truck with the 'Road to Rome and C Haughey',  SF says no to 'Stormont and Policing' and politically where are we now????  

This has got to be the weakest arguement I've heard on the issue.

heganboy

Lies damn lies and statistics...

The report on the 100,000 Euro that county players stand to lose makes a number of interesting assumptions:

• that the county player will not be promoted because he puts in less hours on the job than a non county player
  • that the county player is in a job where overtime accrues and is not paid for time spent at football related events
  • that the county player gets no compensation monetary or otherwise for his efforts

I think that everyone of those assumptions is a fallacy, and undermines the report in itself.

I do feel that the GPA has been an agent for change for the better for the players, especially with calling the county boards to account for their treatment of injuries to players, and ensuring that training gear etc is funded by the board. However I think that they should have concentrated efforts on making sure club players were looked after before springing the pay for play/ grant issue. Hearts and minds and all that...

By the way I'd like to hear thoughts on managers getting paid, is this something that should be stamped out?
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

theskull1

Quote from: heganboy on December 18, 2007, 01:42:39 PM
By the way I'd like to hear thoughts on managers getting paid, is this something that should be stamped out?
:D
Where've you been heganboy? Theres plenty of thoughts in the previous 50 odd pages without anybody regurgitating it. Hopefully the search facility is useful

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

heganboy

I know its there in many forms, however its mostly been as an afterthought to the players thing, and in the mudslinging around "how dare he/she comment sure their club has been paying their manager for years"
I'll start one if there isn't one there.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

venter

Did the star ever print loan sharks letter that was debated here a month or so ago?

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: tram on December 23, 2007, 09:19:42 PM
Tyrone ace to walk away from GPA
Double All-Ireland winning Tyrone defender Philip Jordan has said it is unlikely he will remain a member of the Gaelic Players Association as he is unhappy over its call for strike action and the move towards grants.

Thanks Philly, it's only your like, and your like only, that will guarantee the ethos of this association, the GAA, and all it stands for, and very proud I am that you're a fellow Tír Eoghain man. I salute you a chara, go raibh míle maith agat.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Jinxy

Fair play to Phillip, it's time for other lads in the same position to stand up and be counted.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

give her dixie

Fair play to you Phillip for standing up and been counted.
Hopefully more players will come out and stand beside you.
I would love to see other players from other counties stand up
and show that this isn't a protest by the Ulster gaels.
Good luck and happy christmas.
next stop, September 10, for number 4......

Rossfan

Quote from: give her dixie on December 24, 2007, 11:53:02 AM
that this isn't a protest by the Ulster gaels.

I'm afraid the evidence to date is that it is very much the usual suspects from the usual Counties who are usually against any change of any sort.

Still Nollaig Shona díobh go léir.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

INDIANA

just for the record i'm from dublin and i'm against it - and i've yet to meet anyone within my GAA circle in dublin who are for it -are we part of the usual suspects? you can't make ridiculous sweeping statements like that.

ONeill

Jordan is an admirable character. But Jaysus, take the govn money and give it to your club. Clubs have been doing it for years.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Carmen Stateside

What about his high profile club mate, did he not favour the strike action ???

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: ONeill on December 24, 2007, 01:39:30 PM
Jordan is an admirable character. But Jaysus, take the govn money and give it to your club. Clubs have been doing it for years.

If he leaves the GPA he will still be receiving a grant though*, so it would make little difference.  ???

*assuming the grant actually goes ahead.
i usse an speelchekor

Carmen Stateside

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on December 24, 2007, 02:53:04 PM
Quote from: ONeill on December 24, 2007, 01:39:30 PM

If he leaves the GPA he will still be receiving a grant though*, so it would make little difference.  ???

*assuming the grant actually goes ahead.

when is this going to be decided?