Roy Keane Hype

Started by Leo, November 27, 2007, 09:22:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Galwaybhoy

Quote from: saffron on November 27, 2007, 11:43:28 AM
QuoteHes just in his second season as manager, of course he is going to make mistakes.

Maybe that wouldn't be the case if he wasn't such and arrogant, mouthy, opinionated p***k.

While I do agree with many of his comments, I do agree that he should keep quiet most of the time.  Reminds of Ger Loc in a way.  While his comments on the English team were correct, the fact that he said there "was too many big egos on the team" and the fact Sunderland play a Chelsea team that include two of Englands biggest players (Terry and Lampard) next I feel they will want to get one back on Keane for this.  Wrong time to make those comments I feel...

Dinny Breen

In fairness has any Irish sports person ever provoked such debate, this thread will probably reach 10 pages....

Anyway too early to judge Keane....
I couldn't believe Derby sacked Billy Davis, a good manager with the hardest job in the Premiership.  They should have done what Watford did, they kept there manager last season despite getting relegated and now sit nicely at the top of the Championship looking like they will be promoted again.  Derby probably went up a season or two early and relegation was always on the cards and now who will they get as manager?  Who ever it is probably wont be as good as Billy Davis.

Agree 100%, madness the sack race is farcical, you should not be allowed sack mid-season....
#newbridgeornowhere

Leo

Quote from: whiskeysteve on November 27, 2007, 11:29:05 AM
too right, Keane is due to be the next Bobby Robson of the management world - great player, shocking manager

Ah, a sensible assessment. Robson was in fact a far greater player thann Keane and a total loser as a manager - yet he still gets jobs (Sheff Utd are his latest to run down the snake) and so will Keane after Sunderland wise up - because some fools never learn and in soccer and "names" get these appointmnets all the time. Never has so little been known by so many etc. etc.

By the way I din't mention McShane at all in my thread as I was afraid of being seen to agree with Dunphy on that issue.
Fierce tame altogether

Great Leap Forward

Saturday's result might be the best thing that could have happened Sunderland.
If they had kept on drawing games or losing by narrow margins there might have been an arguement that their defence was ok and perhaps they just needed to add a few goals to the team and they were ok.

On Saturday they played a team who exposed a glaring lack in the defence and their midfield. At least Keane will now know what he needs to buy in January. I still believe that Sunderland will stay up, partly to do with the fact that there are a pile of crap teams about this year.

Bogball XV

Quote from: Leo on November 27, 2007, 11:59:42 AM
too right, Keane is due to be the next Bobby Robson of the management world - great player, shocking manager

Ah, a sensible assessment. Robson was in fact a far greater player thann Keane and a total loser as a manager - yet he still gets jobs (Sheff Utd are his latest to run down the snake) and so will Keane after Sunderland wise up - because some fools never learn and in soccer and "names" get these appointmnets all the time. Never has so little been known by so many etc. etc.

By the way I din't mention McShane at all in my thread as I was afraid of being seen to agree with Dunphy on that issue.
What did Dunphy say about McShane?  Keane was a better player than Robson imo, he was the best irish soccer player ever, maybe not the most skillful, but by far the most effective.  I don't mind him (when he's not spouting his sanctimonious shite), but I hate this whole sunderland shite (as I mentioned in the previous thread on this issue) and would not be overly disappointed to see them drop.
The Davies sacking was madness imo - wtf was the chairman expecting?

red hander

'I couldn't believe Derby sacked Billy Davis'

Galwaybhoy, Billy came on Sky Sports News live on Sunday and spoke for about 20 minutes on how the chairman was avoiding him and he hadn't been given the money he'd been promised etc.  I remember thinking: "f**k, Billy, you're gonna be out of a job in 24 hours"  It was the longest suicide note in history...

red hander

'Keane was a better player than Robson imo'

I remember going to the City Ground in Nottingham, in 87 I think, for Forest's game against Man Utd and wanting to confirm my own prejudices about Robson cos he was England captain at the time... how wrong I was, he was awesome (Franz Carr was pretty good too if i remember rightly).   I watched a lot of football in England at the time cos I was living there, and I can safely say that Robson was the BEST player I ever saw ... until I saw Keane (several times for Utd, many times for Ireland) ... Keane was better

Main Street

It´s tragic isn't it, Sunderland are looking like a side already relegated.

Keane has been proved wanting at this level so far, despite being able to use massive money to bolster his squad for the demands of the EPL. Naive estimation of player' abilities combined with from what I could see a píss poor tactical sense. Will Keane have the balls to stick with a team in the relegation zone and learn the hard lessons?
Interesting comparison with that proud Irishman, Mick McCarthy :)

Leo

Quote from: Bogball XV on November 27, 2007, 12:08:24 PM

What did Dunphy say about McShane?  Keane was a better player than Robson imo, he was the best irish soccer player ever, maybe not the most skillful, but by far the most effective.  I don't mind him (when he's not spouting his sanctimonious shite), but I hate this whole sunderland shite (as I mentioned in the previous thread on this issue) and would not be overly disappointed to see them drop.
The Davies sacking was madness imo - wtf was the chairman expecting?

Dunphy described Mc Shane as an accident waiting to happen. Some car smash that!
Once again this business of Keane as the best Irish player ever is just too silly. Do you mean for Ireland or from Ireland? Either way he falls behind a number of significant others by some margin, either in terms of ability or as you call it "effectiveness". In the Republic we'll start with Brady, Giles, Carey, Mc Grath. In the wee six we might mention Best, Blanchflower, Jennings. Keane doesn't even make the 1st eleven in the recent "official" best-ever Man Utd selection. But enough of this pointless babble - it is just another illustration of how an over-hyped player attracts short-sighted adultaion form the poor befuddled masses.
The facts are he has spent over £40m on creating the Sunderland shite you talk about. If he is let left to end of season or beyond you are - quite seriouly - looking at another Leeds United. As the Irish poet said - "with O'Leary in the grave".
Fierce tame altogether

Leo

Sorry - dont know what the OC is but presume your post is tongue in cheek anyway.
Sure football is so boring the only drama is on the board.

Aploogies for not mentioning David Connolly.
Fierce tame altogether

Chrisowc

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 27, 2007, 11:11:19 AM
McShane looked absolutely dire. I think I had him at fault for 5 of the Everton goals.

Come on don't be like that.  What will Tony say? ;D ;D
it's 'circle the wagons time again' here comes the cavalry!

take_yer_points

Quote from: Leo on November 27, 2007, 11:59:42 AM

Leo, some confusion there maybe? Looks like the initial post was about BOBBY - when you mention Sheff Utd I assume you're talking about BRYAN?

Agreed about Bryan Robson though - great player - brutal manager!!

Leo

Quote from: take_yer_points on November 27, 2007, 01:16:31 PM

Leo, some confusion there maybe? Looks like the initial post was about BOBBY - when you mention Sheff Utd I assume you're talking about BRYAN?

Agreed about Bryan Robson though - great player - brutal manager!!

Assumed the first post intended to mention Bryan as I didnt think there would be anyone on the thread old enough (like me) to remember Bobby as a player.
Fierce tame altogether

deiseach

Quote from: Bensars on November 27, 2007, 11:37:46 AM
Slightly premature. Sunderland entered the bottom three, but 3 points wuld put them comfortably into mid table.

When you've got 10 points, three extra points represents a lot of work.

deiseach

Quote from: 5iveTimes on November 27, 2007, 02:38:34 PM
Just ask Tottenham, couple of weeks ago they were relegation candidates. One win and one draw later and they are mid table.

Let's hope for Roy's sake that no one at Sunderland decides to apply that example to their club