Big flat screen tvs

Started by his holiness nb, November 26, 2007, 10:04:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lfdown2

another qu on the same point,

iv seen tv's advertised as HD while others as HD Ready, what is the difference or is there one?

full back

Good website for checking the best prices
There should also be reviews for a lot of them, although some of the reviews are probably wrote by the company that makes them

http://electronics.pricegrabber.co.uk/plasma-lcd-televisions/p/197/

Gnevin

Quote from: lfdown2 on November 26, 2007, 11:45:08 AM
another qu on the same point,

iv seen tv's advertised as HD while others as HD Ready, what is the difference or is there one?
HD could mean any number of things once it's over a certain resolution it may only support one version of HD
HD-Ready means its will at least support the 2 basic versions of HD , will have at least one digital video input and one digital audio
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

isourboydownyet

Quote from: lynchbhoy on November 26, 2007, 11:34:28 AM
was considering the Sony x series 40" 100 mhz, 1080p (full HD) or the equiv from Samsung.
Down here these are about 1900 fo the sony and 1600 for the Samsung (which is on offer at the moment in curry's/dixons for 1600 inc home theatre kit).
I would have thought a home theatre kit would negate any sound problems with the samsung ?

sony x or w series are way superior to samsung,the sony u and s series would be in level with samsung.samsung do 3 way and 5 way theatre systems which we try and push with there sets and as gnevun says negates any sound weakness from the set and boosts our sales

lfdown2

cheers gnevin, so hd ready would be what your looking for!?

Gnevin

Quote from: lfdown2 on November 26, 2007, 12:43:58 PM
cheers gnevin, so hd ready would be what your looking for!?
Yeah , HD ready will you on the plains of the African Serengeti in no time :)
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Gnevin

Quote from: isourboydownyet on November 26, 2007, 12:22:46 PM
was considering the Sony x series 40" 100 mhz, 1080p (full HD) or the equiv from Samsung.
Down here these are about 1900 fo the sony and 1600 for the Samsung (which is on offer at the moment in curry's/dixons for 1600 inc home theatre kit).
I would have thought a home theatre kit would negate any sound problems with the samsung ?

sony x or w series are way superior to samsung,the sony u and s series would be in level with samsung.samsung do 3 way and 5 way theatre systems which we try and push with there sets and as gnevun says negates any sound weakness from the set and boosts our sales
The theatre systems that could be TV's are with out fail all shite. Get a seperate amp and speakers and you'll hear a world of difference

lynchbhoy

am still deciding on whether to go with the samsung 1080p (full HD) or wait for the new Sony x series to come out as it has 100Mhz refresh rate, the current x series only has 50mhz - and for ball sports, thats not ideal.
If I get a home cinema system, it wont be the free rubbish that sony/samsung ship with it, it will be the better mid/higher end stuff.

(subject to being allowed to buy this by the real boss!)
:o

Croí na hÉireann

Would there be any issues mounting a flat screen above a radiator???
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Gnevin

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on November 26, 2007, 02:17:45 PM
Would there be any issues mounting a flat screen above a radiator???
Yeah the heat isn't going to be good for it , it depend how far over it  i mean at 1-2 foot over it your at ambient room temperature anyway.
I'd mount it their and just keep an eye on it the first few days to make sure it ain't overheating .

Donagh

Spending over a grand and a half on a telly and a 50" inch one at that!!! Lads ffs, take the wife on holiday, join a book club, buy the kids a new bike, donate money to the club, or take out a fecking gym membership but Jez don't be pissing it away on oul shite like that...

isourboydownyet

Quote from: lynchbhoy on November 26, 2007, 12:56:56 PM

am still deciding on whether to go with the samsung 1080p (full HD) or wait for the new Sony x series to come out as it has 100Mhz refresh rate, the current x series only has 50mhz - and for ball sports, thats not ideal.
If I get a home cinema system, it wont be the free rubbish that sony/samsung ship with it, it will be the better mid/higher end stuff.

(subject to being allowed to buy this by the real boss!)
:o

theres no comparison,sony x all the way

nifan

whats the problem with buying a big tv donagh?

full back

Quote from: Donagh on November 26, 2007, 02:47:57 PM
Spending over a grand and a half on a telly and a 50" inch one at that!!! Lads ffs, take the wife on holiday, join a book club, buy the kids a new bike, donate money to the club, or take out a fecking gym membership but Jez don't be pissing it away on oul shite like that...

WTF Donagh, I would say he is better buying a TV that p1ssing it away on the above oul sh1te

Donagh

Quote from: nifan on November 26, 2007, 03:30:36 PM
whats the problem with buying a big tv donagh?

They're a pile of oul shite with the sole purpose of beaming another pile of oul shite into our homes encouraging us to buy the next fashionable pile of oul shte that comes along.  99% of us wouldn't notice any discernable difference in quality between one of them and one at half the price or even a CRT telly. Personally I would rather look at the wife or a nice open file that a big pile of oul shite stuck to the wall in front of me, or just as worse, listening to the big 50 incher the neighbour has paid too much for and stuck to our adjoining wall.