McClaren sacked as England Manager

Started by Will Hunting, November 22, 2007, 10:28:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will Hunting

Steve McClaren has been sacked as England coach following his side's failure to qualify for Euro 2008.

Assistant coach Terry Venables has also lost his job in what the Football Association said was a unanimous decision by its board.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/7100393.stm

It's a pity they weren't so unanimous in not appointing him in the first place!!

All the attention will now turn to who his successor will be, with Jose Mourinho surely top of the wish-list.

SeanSouth

I wonder will the English maybe start to realise the players are also not quite as good as we are told they are week in week out. I dont think it matters who the manager is, English players do not have the technique to beat the top teams.

balladmaker

QuoteI wonder will the English maybe start to realise the players are also not quite as good as we are told they are week in week out. I dont think it matters who the manager is, English players do not have the technique to beat the top teams.

Agree....just not good enough with every tournament that passes.

The usual names are being mentioned...Mourinho, Martin O'Neill, Joe Kernan etc....

Galwaybhoy

Please please please dont let the FAI think it would be a great idea to appoint Venables as manager.  Knowing the FAI thats exactly what will probably happen. >:(

Drumanee 1

was watching sky sports on sunday morning where journalists talk about current issues in the game,they were talking about how thay have got a second chance with the isreal result and then talking about how they will probaly beat croatia by 3 or 4 goals and preperation for next years c'ships,unreal cocky.

gerry

QuoteThe usual names are being mentioned... Joe Kernan etc....

Must have missed that press conference
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

blasmere

England kid themselves on that they are a good footballing nation.

Any time they play a decent side they falter. They are not skilful enough, they can't keep hold of the ball. They are nowhere near technically as good as the likes of Brazil, Argentina, Italy, France, Spain, Portugal, Germany, Holland, Croatia and probably quite a few others.
A sure cure for seasickness is to sit under a tree

Great Leap Forward

Quote from: SeanSouth on November 22, 2007, 10:30:07 AM
I wonder will the English maybe start to realise the players are also not quite as good as we are told they are week in week out. I dont think it matters who the manager is, English players do not have the technique to beat the top teams.

For the first time in history the pundits turned on the players. It's about time too. Most of the England team are technically inferior to the continental teams. The media have built these players into some kind of Gods but the harsh truth is the the majority of them are nothing more than average players at this level.

SeanSouth

Quote from: Drumanee 1 on November 22, 2007, 10:40:32 AM
was watching sky sports on sunday morning where journalists talk about current issues in the game,they were talking about how thay have got a second chance with the isreal result and then talking about how they will probaly beat croatia by 3 or 4 goals and preperation for next years c'ships,unreal cocky.

I watch that every week Drumanee and they would sicken you, they always had it in for Mc Laren and some clown from the Mail said they needed a manager to give the players confidence to which Patrick Barclay, i think he writes in the Guardian, said they need a manger that will put a bit of bottle in them, they talk plenty but never deliver when it matters. The other journalists looked a bit uncomfortable because they knew it was true.

ziggysego

Vodafone just texted me to say McClaren has been sacked. What the f**k? I didn't sign up for any English messages or soccer message. Why send me that frickin' message!! >:(
Testing Accessibility

The Claw

Funny how Peter Crouch can be their best player.

red hander

'England kid themselves on that they are a good footballing nation.'

Correct.  They've won one thing in their history, as have those other footballing super powers Denmark and Greece.  

The media, who put ideas in the English supporters' heads that they are a great footballing nation, are reverting to type this morning and blaming 'immigrants' for the state of their game ... almost as pathetic as their coach holding an umbrella last night to stop what's left of his hair getting wet...

Galwaybhoy

Quote from: red hander on November 22, 2007, 10:53:32 AM
'England kid themselves on that they are a good footballing nation.'

Correct.  They've won one thing in their history, as have those other footballing super powers Denmark and Greece.   

The media, who put ideas in the English supporters' heads that they are a great footballing nation, are reverting to type this morning and blaming 'immigrants' for the state of their game ... almost as pathetic as their coach holding an umbrella last night to stop what's left of his hair getting wet...

In fairness it dosent help.  But there are more problems than just that.

ziggysego

Sports Direct and Umbro have now said that England failing to qualify will hit the British economy to the tune for £2bn!
Testing Accessibility

Aghdavoyle

How may english players, when fit, are consistent starters in the champions league?

Ferdinand
Neville
Hargreaves
Rooney
Carragher (retired)
Gerrard,
Terry
Cole
Lampard
Cole

Not even enough for a team.