McClaren sacked as England Manager

Started by Will Hunting, November 22, 2007, 10:28:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

The English have been navel-gazing about the inferiority of the technical ability of their players for as long as I can remember. And while it may be true, its hardly the only reason they've struggled. Greece won the European Championship three years ago with a (technically) very limited team, but they had a manager who organized them and made them very hard to beat. Ireland under Jack Charlton were hardly Brazil (and indeed Charlton repressed any expression of skill that deviated from his system), but they were very effective, if eventually limited at the very highest level. Criticize him all you want, but Mick McCarthy took a much more limited Irish squad to the World Cup Finals, and made a decent effort once there and robbed of his best and most influential player. People have been observing for the past three years that Lampard and Gerrard are too similar to work as a central midfield pairing, but this piece of wisdom apparently seems to have escaped McClaren, as it did Eriksson before him. I thought Eriksson was badly exposed at international level, but at least he had them organized enough that they qualified. McClaren is the main culprit here. Most of the English team play with some of Europe's leading clubs, although some of those players were missing last night. There is no way that they should not be qualifying.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Steve McClaren is going to the England Christmas party as a pumpkin......
He's hoping someone turns him into a coach!
Tbc....

Captain Scarlet

a turnip would be more suitable, oh wait that's been done.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

ziggysego

Quote from: Captain Scarlet on November 22, 2007, 04:44:03 PM
a turnip would be more suitable, oh wait that's been done.

No, that was a swede.
Testing Accessibility

Croí na hÉireann

Here's another one:

What's the difference between Lewis Hamilton and Engerlund???

Lewis Hamilton still has a McLaren
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

MW

Both missed out by a point with McLaren in charge, though ;)

Puckoon

Quote from: ziggysego on November 22, 2007, 10:51:20 AM
Vodafone just texted me to say McClaren has been sacked. What the f**k? I didn't sign up for any English messages or soccer message. Why send me that frickin' message!! >:(
They wanted to know if you had any pull in getting them Sean Teague.

Billys Boots

QuoteLuis Scolari 5/1

They're not going to let Big Phil humiliate them again, are they?   ;D
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

stephenite

The Special One is not interested apparently, Big Sam also not interested. Harry Redknapp sounds keen :D

Puckoon

Its due rewards for McLaren, especially for how he attempted to make a statement, and a scapegoat out of David Beckham after the world cup. Beckham should never have been dropped from that panel - he at least always gave 110%. McLaren came in and tried to set out a stall of moving forward, well it backfired completely. Ive always admired David Beckhams passion for his England place - a few more lads giving the same effort for steve staunton wouldnt have gone amiss.

SeanSouth

Quote from: Puckoon on November 23, 2007, 04:15:49 AM
Its due rewards for McLaren, especially for how he attempted to make a statement, and a scapegoat out of David Beckham after the world cup. Beckham should never have been dropped from that panel - he at least always gave 110%. McLaren came in and tried to set out a stall of moving forward, well it backfired completely. Ive always admired David Beckhams passion for his England place - a few more lads giving the same effort for steve staunton wouldnt have gone amiss.

Puckoon, the day Beckham put the circus in Holywood before his football career was the day he kissed his international career goodbye. It was a great cross for Crouch's goal but is that what we are basing this argument on? Did you see how he played against Austria?

FermPundit

Mourinho out of England running 

Mourinho guided Chelsea to two Premier League titles
Jose Mourinho has ruled himself out of the running to become England coach.
The former Chelsea boss revealed he had held talks with the Football Association following Steve McClaren's dismissal last month.

But in a statement on his agent's website, Mourinho said: "After serious thought, I decided to exclude myself despite it being a fantastic position.

"I'm sure the FA will hire a great manager, one able to place the team back where it belongs."

Mourinho said he had had "useful discussions" with the FA's chief executive Brian Barwick and director of football Trevor Brooking.

He said: "We exchanged ideas to evaluate the entire situation about the England squad and set the goals in case of a real approach."

After revealing he had opted against putting himself forward as a candidate, Mourinho said: "I reiterate my respect for English football and, after three good years in England, I firmly believe that the England squad will soon be back to their usual great results."

Mourinho emerged as the strong favourite for the England post following McClaren's departure.

BBC Radio 5 Live football correspondent Mike Ingham said: "In many ways he would have been perfect.

"The job is about giving players an extra 10% and I think he would have done that.

"Mourinho ticked all the boxes bar one - I'm not sure how much of a diplomat he would have been."

The Portuguese coach's announcement on Monday will be a blow to FA officials, who were turned down by their first-choice candidate the last time they were recruiting an England manager.

On that occasion, Portugal manager Luis Felipe Scolari rejected the chance to succeed Sven-Goran Eriksson and the FA instead turned to McClaren.

Italian coaches Fabio Capello and Marcello Lippi now head the list of contenders - although BBC Sport has established that neither man has been contacted by the FA.

Former Germany coach Jurgen Klinsmann has been tipped as an "ideal" replacement by Franz Beckenbauer, but has so far made no expression of interest in the job.

Aston Villa manager Martin O'Neill continues to be linked with the job, despite publicly ruling himself out.

The FA is reported to want to name its new coach by 19 December, although England do not have a fixture until 6 February when they will play Switzerland in a friendly, and the next competitive fixture will be a World Cup qualifier next September.

Feck, it looks like no one really wants this English job. I suppose the majority of managers see it as a poisoned chalice. Many good managers have tried and failed leaving with their reputations destroyed. It looks like international management isn't that attractive anymore with vacant positions in Northern Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Scotland and England. I remember the days when a manager would leave a successful club and jump at the chance to manage their country. Sure didn't Sammy McIlroy leave Macclesfield to manage Northern Ireland in 2000  ;)
We'll win Ulster some day, not sure when.