The 80's

Started by whiskeysteve, November 21, 2007, 03:22:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

SammyG

Quote from: deiseach on November 21, 2007, 04:25:47 PM
I love this use of 'etc' by people. 'etc' could mean The Thompson Twins, Dexy's Midnight Runners, Tiffany, Corey Hart, Kenny Loggins, Mr. Mister . . .
It could also include the Pixies, Pogues, Cocteau Twins, Comsat Angels, Alarm, Wah! etc

ziggysego

Who are etc? I never heard of them.
Testing Accessibility

Zapatista

Quote from: ziggysego on November 21, 2007, 04:40:09 PM
In my head. I wasn't around in the 70s.... well bar the last few weeks. I discovered him in the mid to late 80s.

Is this one of those "if you remember the 70s then you weren't really there"?

5 Sams

Highlights of the 80s for me..

Three years on the beer at NUU (UUC for all youse young ones)

The Smiths, The Cure.....yes even Duran Duran.

Cupids Nightclub in Newry.

1983 National League Final  ;D ;D

Ah the memories :'( :'(
The Aristocrat Years

ziggysego

Quote from: Zapatista on November 21, 2007, 04:51:25 PM
Quote from: ziggysego on November 21, 2007, 04:40:09 PM
In my head. I wasn't around in the 70s.... well bar the last few weeks. I discovered him in the mid to late 80s.

Is this one of those "if you remember the 70s then you weren't really there"?

Nah, I'm a December '79 baby.
Testing Accessibility

Zapatista

We also had snow for atleast one week every year in the 80s. I don't miss it now as I'm an adult but I loved it as a kid.

ONeill

Dangermouse
He-man
Puff Candy
Curley's opening in Dgn.
Mick Lyons
Noel Edmonds on Sat Morn
Good Morning Britain
Green Goddess
Frank Bough
Selina Scott
No milk at school
Gerry Armstrong
Platini
Maradona
Liverpool
Steve Davis
West Tip
Bananarama
CBs
Glenroe
Scott and Charlene
Dallas
Dynasty
Madonna
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

full back

Doogie Browser

Treasure Hunt
Why Don't You
Pat Jennings at Mexico 86
Going to Sports days in a crap bmx and my older brothers yellow t shirt and seeing about 10 other kids with the same
Bruce Willis trying to sing
Long hair
Stadium rock songs
Kickstart

SammyG

mouview

World Cups in '82 and '86  - no tournaments have come remotely close to them since for drama, great matches, great players and Jimmy Magee's inimitable commentary   -  "Maradona. Different class. DIFFERENT CLASS!"

Music was bloody good too and Galway could win AI hurling finals then.

ziggysego

5iveTimes, Prince is back to being Prince again. Still as mad as ever. If you ever get a chance, listen to Kevin Smith's encounter with him.
Testing Accessibility

J70

Quote from: SammyG on November 21, 2007, 04:19:20 PM
Quote from: J70 on November 21, 2007, 04:11:18 PM
Worst decade for music by far.

Not sure about that. Joy Division/New Order, the Smiths, Echo and the Bunnymen, U2, Springsteen, the Jam, Waterboys, Billy Bragg etc

And the best of those are seventies bands!

The Real Laoislad

I love everything '80s....!!
The music was the best imho and i always tune into friday night '80s on today fm
Liverpool FC were the team to beat i still remember FA Cup Finals from '86 '88 '89 with the 1989 Final v Everton being the best of all time IMHO,also the Milk Cup which became the Littlewoods Cup was thought more highly of back then
Laois had a good hurling team and often competed in Leinster Finals but unfortuanly never made the next step..I also remember the '86 National League Football Final Laois v Monaghan and beating Dublin in the semi final ,It was my first time on a train going to the semi final..
Television was better too Mcguyver being the best and also loved Get Smart,Silver Spoons and The A-Team
You'll Never Walk Alone.