Sky Digital

Started by girt_giggler, November 20, 2007, 11:30:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

girt_giggler

My sis has recently moved into her new house & is about to get sky installed. when i got my sky installed they said I had to have a phone line also, which, at that time i didn't as had just moved in etc. When it was installed they never seemed to check or care about a phone line. My sis has yet to get a phone line into her house so was wandering if you can still get away with installing sky without a phone line?

I always assumed the phone line was just to use all the interactive crap

full back

It should be ok girt
If you tell them you havent got the line installed as long as they have a contact number (i.e mobile) they should install it ok
Try the recommend a friend as well, if you do that you should get vouchers

Billys Boots

Was tuning in the telly to sky digital the other day, but it didn't recognise it as a digital signal - it came up as analogue.  Anyone know why this would happen?  It's a Sony telly, so no smart remarks about the oul' Beko tellies now.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

imtommygunn

The main use of the phoneline is for those with multiroom to ensure that it's done within the one house. I think the card is bound to the phone number so they can make sure you haven't got one of your mates using your multiroom or the like. For one box they'd not mind too much.

Dunno why it'd be picked  as analogue Billy. Never seen that happen.

Rois

You need a phone line for Sky Plus (specifically  BT) - in my case Sky were absolutely fine, it was trying to get BT installed that almost made me look for Virgin Media instead.

Woth it though - it's earning its money with all the series links etc at the mo...

mackers

I was thinking of upgrading to a HD box, has anybody got it? Is it worth the extra money?
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

Billys Boots

Where's Bummer/Fionntamhnach these days - he's the resident expert on these things?  I don't see his name on the list either - has he left or just changed his moniker?
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Main Street

I use to be able to recieve  BBC R1 R2 R3 R4, BBC radio ulster  on sky digital on the sky card that was sent out free to UK residents years ago. (I can still get BBC R5)
Not that I ever listened to them.
They are listed in the Sky menu, selecting the station just gets a normal sky page for the radio station but with a message "no satellite signal is being received".

Balboa

I am looking for Sky + at the minute, Noel Grimley in Andytown is doing it for £49 + £30 installation, seems pretty good.

theskull1

Thinking of getting a new TV at the moment. I assume that RTE/TG4 on an analogue source will be unwatchable on flat panels and that a digital source (i.e sky) will be needed. TG4 is on sky isn't it?
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

imtommygunn

TG4 and RTE 1/ RTE 2 are on sky but TV3 is not.

Not sure that analogue sources will be unwatchable on flat panels - would have assumed all new tvs would be compatible with both analogue and digital signals so you should still be fit to get analogue through an aerial AFAIK. Unless you're talking about flaky reception - which should be treated the same for analogue anyway...

thejuice

got me self a 28inch HD TV from Argos. its super sexy and only £200. was watching 300 on blu-ray last night. looks clear as crystal. Regular DVDs look much better on it as well.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Bensars

Quote from: girt_giggler on November 20, 2007, 11:30:35 AM
My sis has recently moved into her new house & is about to get sky installed. when i got my sky installed they said I had to have a phone line also, which, at that time i didn't as had just moved in etc. When it was installed they never seemed to check or care about a phone line. My sis has yet to get a phone line into her house so was wandering if you can still get away with installing sky without a phone line?

PM me her details. I have a £50 voucher. I recommend her. 

Free Installation, free sky + box and £ 50 M&S vouchers for her and me.

Everyones a winner ;D

Bensars

Quote from: Balboa on November 20, 2007, 12:07:00 PM
I am looking for Sky + at the minute, Noel Grimley in Andytown is doing it for £49 + £30 installation, seems pretty good.

Ballboa, see above  ;)

isourboydownyet

Quote from: girt_giggler on November 20, 2007, 11:30:35 AM

it is in your sky contract that you must be connected to a phone line for a minimum of a year after that it's up to you,you need a connection if you want to use pay per view.most installers dont really care if you are connected as it's not there responsibility,sky do send out test signals but very rarely and you can get away without a connection.
Quote from: Billys Boots on November 20, 2007, 11:52:37 AM
Was tuning in the telly to sky digital the other day, but it didn't recognise it as a digital signal - it came up as analogue.  Anyone know why this would happen?  It's a Sony telly, so no smart remarks about the oul' Beko tellies now.

your sky box does send out a rf(analougue) signal which you can send to another room but you connect your sky box to your main tv with a scart lead and watch through the av channel.
Quote from: theskull1 on November 20, 2007, 12:13:40 PM
Thinking of getting a new TV at the moment. I assume that RTE/TG4 on an analogue source will be unwatchable on flat panels and that a digital source (i.e sky) will be needed. TG4 is on sky isn't it?

analogue signals are no problem on a flat panel the only thing i would say is if there is a weakness in your aerial reception it will show it up big time,in some cases your analogue picture can be better than your dvb signal