How Many Teams Are The Dub's Entering in 2008 SFC?

Started by Bud Wiser, November 20, 2007, 09:01:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bud Wiser

Remember early in the year, or was it last year when Dublin were (or at least they thought they were) strong contenders for the Alll Ireland and it was mooted that they wanted two teams to contest the championship?  Is that idea now abandoned and what was it derived from? Was it because of population or where did the idea come from and where did it go or has it been binned because they have no hope of winning Sam with the one team they have.  And what happened Cork, were they not going to do the same?

Also, has anyone got information on the software program being released for GAA training and monitoring training methods that is being, or has been released.
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

heffo

Quote from: Bud Wiser on November 20, 2007, 09:01:36 AM
Remember early in the year, or was it last year when Dublin were (or at least they thought they were) strong contenders for the Alll Ireland and it was mooted that they wanted two teams to contest the championship?  Is that idea now abandoned and what was it derived from? Was it because of population or where did the idea come from and where did it go or has it been binned because they have no hope of winning Sam with the one team they have.  And what happened Cork, were they not going to do the same?

Also, has anyone got information on the software program being released for GAA training and monitoring training methods that is being, or has been released.

You are right of course, Dublin should approach every championship with no aspirations of winning it. The fact that we were beaten by a point by the eventual champions should not come into it.

Alternatively, we could approach it like Laois, get hammered every year by Dublin, spend the rest of the season hoping to 'get another crack at Dublin in the qualifiers', pay six figures to bring in a GAA legend from Kerry, have players who have acheived nothing at senior level tell said legend how to do his job, have players leave the panel at try to bring harmony to the panel by waging a war of words in the media. Thats the model Dublin should follow. Laois are a shining example as to how to conduct oneself.

The idea you refer to was mooted five and half years ago, and was unilaterally rejected by the Dublin county board, so outside of trolling, I can't see why you started a thread on this topic.

As for not having a hope of winning Sam, I'd prefer to see the panel give their all and come up short than have to pay a mercenary six figures, but then you wouldn't have all the Laois 'legends' tell any journalist who'd listen that Colm Browne/whoever is a bollo& who knows nothing..

thebandit

AFAIK Bud,
Dermot McArdle (Castleblayney F****s and Monaghan) is working on GAA training software, and is currently constructing a website http://www.gaelicperformance.com/

These plans may have been put a wee bit on the back burner, as he has recently opened up a bowling alley with his brother in law, former Cross and Armagh star Jim McConville in Castleblayney http://www.blayneybowl.com/

Bensars

There was a short clip of software being used by the Ulster Council on yesterdays UTV six o clock news.

Go to their website. 20 minutes in.    Eugene Young and GPS software to track players

Pietas

Quote from: heffo on November 20, 2007, 09:36:59 AM

You are right of course, Dublin should approach every championship with no aspirations of winning it. The fact that we were beaten by a point by the eventual champions should not come into it.

Alternatively, we could approach it like Laois, get hammered every year by Dublin, spend the rest of the season hoping to 'get another crack at Dublin in the qualifiers', pay six figures to bring in a GAA legend from Kerry, have players who have acheived nothing at senior level tell said legend how to do his job, have players leave the panel at try to bring harmony to the panel by waging a war of words in the media. Thats the model Dublin should follow. Laois are a shining example as to how to conduct oneself.

The idea you refer to was mooted five and half years ago, and was unilaterally rejected by the Dublin county board, so outside of trolling, I can't see why you started a thread on this topic.

As for not having a hope of winning Sam, I'd prefer to see the panel give their all and come up short than have to pay a mercenary six figures, but then you wouldn't have all the Laois 'legends' tell any journalist who'd listen that Colm Browne/whoever is a bollo& who knows nothing..

I'm not suggesting it met with your approval, but the GAA legend from Kerry was approached to manage Dublin, according to the legend himself.
In Roman mythology, Pietas was the goddess of duty to one's state, gods and family.

heffo

Quote from: Pietas on November 20, 2007, 11:29:01 AM

I'm not suggesting it met with your approval, but the GAA legend from Kerry was approached to manage Dublin, according to the legend himself.

I'm not disputing that. It was one of a litany of mistakes that John Bailey made while Chairman.

I was making the point that people in glasshouses shouldn't throw stones.

ludermor

Pietas

Quote from: heffo on November 20, 2007, 11:54:00 AM
Quote from: Pietas on November 20, 2007, 11:29:01 AM

I'm not disputing that. It was one of a litany of mistakes that John Bailey made while Chairman.

I was making the point that people in glasshouses shouldn't throw stones.
But he built Parnell Park, which was an achievement.  I couldn't say I know enough about him to really comment about anything else.
In Roman mythology, Pietas was the goddess of duty to one's state, gods and family.

Gnevin

Wrong code you ownshook.

Its was for Hurling and it's happening in the Rackard next year.
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

INDIANA

let me educate you on John Bailey:

1- He shafted Tommy Carr despite giving him his support publicly. The fact that Carr should have gone is not the issue Bailey proved that his word meant nothing- not exactly traits you want in a chairman.

2- Almost single-handedly put Dublin hurling into the abyss. Gave the hurlers a manager with no experience at club level never mind county level. Forced them to go on strike to even get the basics of gym membership. Even installed himself as manager.

3- ensured that the appointment of Caffrey turned into a media circus with his famous 5 questions labelled at Brian Mullins.

Arguably the worst chairman we've ver had.

as for Dublin having two teams it was the rackard and possibly the ring cup in later years if the rackard proved a success. But then again Bud never was good at reading the papers

lynchbhoy

wasnt it yer man from Longford who built Parnell park ?
McLaughlin Construction ?

Actually thinking about it, the amount of Building companies and contracors that come from Longford, they should now be called
'The Construction county' instead of 'the larries'. Maybe known as 'Doozers' ?

Anyhow, I go against the grain and would like to see Dublin split into two teams for the O'Byrne cup - North and south Dublin.
Would make it v interesting.
Also think North Dublin would be as good as the current dublin, maybe even better  than the present team!

Gnevin

Bud how about Laois enter a few extra team in Leinster next year , I really enjoy beating  embarrassing your crowd and would like to do it 3 or 4 times a season
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Gnevin on November 20, 2007, 02:17:14 PM
Bud how about Laois enter a few extra team in Leinster next year , I really enjoy beating  embarrassing your crowd and would like to do it 3 or 4 times a season
a spot of 'scoreboard baiting' as its known around Blanchardstown !
:D

ludermor

Lynchbhoy
I see the driver of the car was named by the sunday tribune at the weekend ( again) He  seems to getting a lot of flak over whole senario

Bud Wiser

Moderator, I just asked a question about the idea of Dublin fielding two teams in the championship, went off to do a days work and come home to find a personal attack on me by GNevin and  if he can call me a fool why cant I use the expression dimwit which slotted nicely into place the last time I used it but had to remove it?  Will you ask GNevin to do likewise.

What I wanted to know was on what basis was the idea of two teams drawn up, was it North Side v South Side or was it Blue Star v Rest type of scenario, ie, Dubs would pick their best team and then there would be a second team from the rest. Why was the idea put forward, was it because of population etc?

For example, GNevin reminds me that Dublin can beat Laois but we have a population of less than 52,000 !  In the entire county we have just a few clubs so despite all this we still have our share of Minor, U21 and senior success.  Last year was a bit of a disaster allright and been beaten by Dublin made it worse since their calibre can only be judged by the fact that they still went nowhere after the Leinster and in fact found it difficult to beat teams like Longford to even win the Leinster and yet, despite our disadvantage of only being able to field one county team it is not that long ago since we did beat Dublin in a Leinster Final.

On the subject of the software, will we have an addition to the bigger counties backroom staff when it is released, will we have a Maor Computer, along with the Uisce man and how will it work?  Is it plugged into the players and does it give a security alert when the 'keeper solos out past the 20 mtr line or does it come on a memory stick where you can call up the score if you are too far away to see the board?
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"