Guinness 10 Greatest Irish Sporting Moments

Started by Over the Bar, November 17, 2007, 09:46:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Over the Bar

I got a copy of this in the post a few weeks back and only got to reading it last night.    The 2 GAA moments chosen were in hurling DJ Careys famous point in the 02 AIF and for football it's Peter The Great coming back on with 7 mins to go in the 03 AIF to lift Sam!    Might not be everyones choice but it's nice to see 2 of the greatest players our generation has had the pleasure of watching getting the recognition they deserve. 

orangeman

They were great moments ok - but were they really the greatest ?

slow corner back

As with any list favouritism goes to recent memories. For GAA Seamus Darby stopping five in a row has to be the standout one for the last 40 years.

orangeman

What about Offaly coming back to beat Limerick in AI final after being 7 down with a few minutes to go ? I'm from Tyrone and with all due respect to the moment it was a free kick that was scored from the same position mant times - ok it was significant but was it really the best moment in history ? Personally I don't think so.

mayoman dan

Ciaran Mc Donalds winning point for Mayo in the all ireland semi final against the Dubs but maybe im just being biased. ;D

orangeman

mournerambler

From a personal view point,my favourite memory is Neil Collins saving a Charlie Redmond penalty in the 1994 AIF @ the Hill 16 end :)

DMarsden

Darby's goal has to be the football highlight.

personally, i loved clare winning the all ireland in 95, mad eejits that the bachelor men were.

Hardy

There is only one candidate for greatest GAA moment of all time.

It was the first big GAA game on a Saturday.
It was the biggest attendance ever at a first round tie.
It put the scorer's team level on aggregate score after five hours and nearly 40 minutes of football.
It cemented the GAA in the leadership position in Irish sport, (burying the olé-olé front which had been strutting through Euro-88 and Italia 90) from where it has gone from strength to strength.
It was the scorer's only goal ever in his competitive career.
It was followed by the greatest ever non-celebration of a goal - true GAA style.
It was a great goal, resulting from a twelve-man move originating on the other end line, not a lucky swing, resulting from a foul.  :P

I give you:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUGn3E5quf4

Declan

QuoteIt was a great goal, resulting from a twelve-man move originating on the other end line, not a lucky swing, resulting from a foul

Jaysus Hardy not again - You forgot to mention that O'Rourke dived as well

tbrick18

Johnny McGurk point in the final minutes of the '93 AI semi-final against the dubs.
Derry v Down 1994.

Ok two moments involving Derry, but how could you argue against either of these.

orangeman

To be fair to you Hardy, I couldn't disagree - that was a great moment ok -

Hardy

Quote from: Declan on November 19, 2007, 12:42:57 PM
QuoteIt was a great goal, resulting from a twelve-man move originating on the other end line, not a lucky swing, resulting from a foul

Jaysus Hardy not again - You forgot to mention that O'Rourke dived as well

I try to mention it as often as possible. I'll be back!

I don't think O'Rourke had much chance of staying upright, seeing as he was trying to stop and Mick Kennedy was running into his back at 20 mph! And why would he dive on the 65 metre line when we needed a goal and when it would interrupt a well-planned move, perfected on the training pitch and held in reserve until this precise moment, with Foley already on his way forward, as planned? ;)

thejuice

Quote from: Hardy on November 19, 2007, 11:07:09 AM

It was followed by the greatest ever non-celebration of a goal - true GAA style.

I like the slap on the head he gets from Staff, its as if to say, what you doing up this end of the field ya lug!! get back and defend, good goal by the way.........!!

For me the greatest moment while as great as that was, Ollie Murphy's goal vs Westmeath at the death in 2001, 9 points down at half-time to comeback and pull an outragous goal out of no-where, to level it. He was falling over and still managed to put it in the top corner. It seems to be over looked but for me it was like watching a miracle.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Jinxy

Quote from: thejuice on November 19, 2007, 04:58:40 PM
Quote from: Hardy on November 19, 2007, 11:07:09 AM

I like the slap on the head he gets from Staff, its as if to say, what you doing up this end of the field ya lug!! get back and defend, good goal by the way.........!!

For me the greatest moment while as great as that was, Ollie Murphy's goal vs Westmeath at the death in 2001, 9 points down at half-time to comeback and pull an outragous goal out of no-where, to level it. He was falling over and still managed to put it in the top corner. It seems to be over looked but for me it was like watching a miracle.

I could barely raise a whisper for a couple of days after that game.
If you were any use you'd be playing.