U2 TAX MOVE

Started by THE MIGHTY QUINN, November 17, 2007, 12:34:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

THE MIGHTY QUINN

I note that U2 have moved part of their business from the Ireland to the Netherlands for tax reasons. This after they have benefited for years from paying a much reduced tax bill thanks to Charlie Haughey's 1969 policy which exempted all 'creative' work from tax. I'm definitely not paying that speeding fine now and some of those who voted that I should might want to review their decision

ziggysego

Lets see if they'll donate their yearly tax savings to charity. It's not a bit wonder people are sick of Bono.
Testing Accessibility

THE MIGHTY QUINN

Maybe so but we wouldn't then pontificate about morality and all that crap. Charity begins at home

T Fearon

Agreed and A Greed! Hypocritical bollix, if the super rich would pay their taxes then Governments as beneficiaries would have more capability to write off Third World Debt. Does this not also highlight the urgent need for tax harmonisation laws throughout the EC

Zapatista

If Bono Give all his money to charity he would suddenly become a nobody because he would be broke like me. He would never get to the White House, Vatican, G8 etc. again. Money is power folks and if you want to force change in the world you need to own a lot of money. It's the only way you get to mingle with the real money people who can make the changes.

It's questionable if any Charlie Haughey policy was for the good of anyone but himself!!!!

THE MIGHTY QUINN

Quote from: 5iveTimes on November 17, 2007, 12:47:44 PM
Bono is the front man of the biggest band in the world,

I never knew Bono joined the Rolling Stones

slow corner back

If Bono gave every penny he has to charity today he would still be a rich man in six months due to the royalties he will bring in for his back catalogue. He would also have access to the white house  Vatican etc because he is an international megastar whether you like it or not. Also the fact he keeps getting invited back to these places shows he is doing something right otherwise all the politicians would stop wasting their time with him.

THE MIGHTY QUINN

Well everyone is entitled to their opinion and I'm not going to rubbish anyone else's other that to say that in my humble opinion Bono is a brilliant songwriter and singer. However outside of that he's a bollox. I've seen U2 loads of times and they're a brilliant band but Bono's preaching between songs is just cringworthy and embarrassing

pintsofguinness

I think I'll stop paying tax. There's  not much point anyway I don't see me getting anything back.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Zapatista

Quote from: THE MIGHTY QUINN on November 17, 2007, 03:10:38 PM
Well everyone is entitled to their opinion and I'm not going to rubbish anyone else's other that to say that in my humble opinion Bono is a brilliant songwriter and singer. However outside of that he's a bollox. I've seen U2 loads of times and they're a brilliant band but Bono's preaching between songs is just cringworthy and embarrassing

That pretty mich sums it up.

Shamrock Shore

Mighty Quinn

You and I know who the greatest band in world history is.

f**k U2 - gave up on them in the early 90s

THE MIGHTY QUINN

We do indeed Shamrock and lets all hear a loud cheer for Big Tom a man who has done a lot more to reduce the EU Beef mountain, by trying to scoff it all himself, than Bono ever will through sending it off to the famine hit areas of Africa.

Louth Exile

Quote from: T Fearon on November 17, 2007, 12:49:07 PM
Agreed and A Greed! Hypocritical bollix, if the super rich would pay their taxes then Governments as beneficiaries would have more capability to write off Third World Debt. Does this not also highlight the urgent need for tax harmonisation laws throughout the EC

Stall the digger.... not another word about tax harmonisation, particularly not when it comes to corporation tax rates.

TMQ, it was clear from the start that you were never going to pay that fine. The poll went against you, even though you said you would abide by its decision and you have been looking for a reason to justify not paying it for a week now! Fair enough, but why don't you at least give the €80 to charity instead?? Go on take the high moral ground  ;)
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

THE MIGHTY QUINN

Not prepared to argue with you on the fine front mate, that arguement is purely for Tankie and Gnevin

stew

If I had the money that pontificating idiot had I wouldnt need to move the whole enterprise to the netherlands as i would be set for a thousand lifetimes.

How much is enough lads????

I cant stand the look of Bono these days, the yanks love him, he is almost as popular as daniel ffs. ;)
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.