i pods

Started by the Deel Rover, November 13, 2007, 03:17:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lfdown2

apple website, for usa and ire, has the usa one £10 cheaper for 8gb ipod so is it worth it?

Puckoon

Apple website wouldnt be the place to be buying it.

Against the Breeze

Where would be the best place to buy them then?

David McKeown

I got an iPhone there last week which is pretty similar to the iPod touch and I think there fantastic.  US iPhones wont work on a contract over here without being hacked which whilst easy to do means youll have to wait for a different hack for each update to the software
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Puckoon

Quote from: Against the Breeze on November 13, 2007, 06:02:49 PM
Where would be the best place to buy them then?

Thats a good question, I just have always found the apple store to be on the highside of the pricing. I buy all my stuff at the university bookstore, get an added 15% apple products. There are others on the board who would do alot of online shopping, so maybe they could tell you.

blast05

II have a 4GB memory card in my phone (SonyEricsson K800i) and can store all the pics and music i need. Usability is top notch  ...... so forgive my ignorance but i don't get why people feel the need to have an I-pod as well as a phone  ???

David McKeown

My music collection runs to be about 200Gig my film and tv collection to about 2tb so i use my ipod more for long flights, that being said havent switched the ipod on since i got the iphone.  PDA is pretty much redundant now too

blast05

QuoteMy music collection runs to be about 200Gig

Mother of God - at a generous say 5MB per song then thats 40,000 songs. At a fairly low average of say 3 minutes per song then thats 2,000 hours of music - a full time job for 1 year working 9 to 5 to listen to them all once

David McKeown

According to itunes it would take me 93days to listen to them straight through.  I have about another 30Gig to get through with correct metadata before I add them to my collection

Gnevin

Quote from: blast05 on November 13, 2007, 08:54:48 PM
II have a 4GB memory card in my phone (SonyEricsson K800i) and can store all the pics and music i need. Usability is top notch  ...... so forgive my ignorance but i don't get why people feel the need to have an I-pod as well as a phone  ???
Like David not enough space , need to have my 40 gb of music with me . Plus i don't like how music in phones , cant connect to a base station . No itrip ...
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Main Street

I have the 80gb version, I couldn´t consider living with smaller.
Space taken up also depends on the bit rate the songs are decoded in.
I mainly use it in the car, I can connect it via usb cable or Mini Jack to the car audio.

It is possible to replace the  hard disk inside, bump up from 8gb to 160gb :)

blast05

QuoteLike David not enough space , need to have my 40 gb of music with me .

For what - in case you get abducted by aliens and they take you to a far away planet that takes 10 years to get to  :P

QuoteI have the 80gb version, I couldn´t consider living with smaller.

If you got stuck in Mountjoy for 30 years you wouldn't become familiar with all the music that that could store regardless of bit rate.

I presume you guys don't have your lifetimes supply of music stored on a single portable device, i.e.: your I-Pod, and that you have backups (or at least if you don't have backups for such vast music collections then your asking for trouble - all it would take is 1 little scanger to swipe it from you when you're off guard). I just don't get why somebody needs such large storage on a portable device.
I have my 4GB memory card in my phone which could hold 700 to 800 songs which i don't even have anyway and wouldn't ever need.

Edit: And plus, how long did it take to get 80GB of music either copied from CD's or downloaded ? 80 GB's of music on CD's  ...... well taking 12 songs per album at an average of 5MB per song then you are looking at ~1,300 albums which at say even €10 a pop would be €13K, The pile of CD's would be as high as a 4 story house !!

J70

Why don't you just charge the iPod using a usb port or are there compatibility issues with that too?

Puckoon

Quote from: J70 on November 15, 2007, 12:22:57 AM
Why don't you just charge the iPod using a usb port or are there compatibility issues with that too?

Shouldnt be any compatibility issues when charging the ipod with the usb cable. I think it was only a problem (and even then it could be circumvented by using the usb cable) when the ipods used to come with the power adaptor.

Rma13

Never, ever purchase from the Apple website!  I eventually ended up with an Ipod classic after I'd actually ordered an engraved Ipod nano.  It took weeks for all the problems with Apple to be resolved & at the end of the day I have an Ipod classic which still doesn't seem to work properly despite having been restored once & reset flip knows how many times, I just can't be bothered going through the hassle of trying to return it after everything I went through to receive it in the first place.