Started by pintsofguinness, November 13, 2007, 11:35:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Is it accepatble to slap a child?

Yes, why not, they're smaller they can't fight back
Only for Discipline
No, it's Child Abuse
Naughty Step approach

heganboy

when I was 15 if my parents were annoyed it was a sign I was doing something right....
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

pintsofguinness

I suppose for some that's true.
I wasn't really like that.   :-\
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

ludermor

so how would you discipline a 15yr old?

pintsofguinness

Quote from: ludermor on November 13, 2007, 03:44:37 PM
so how would you discipline a 15yr old?
same as I got, a clip round the ear. 

AZOffaly

Ah no. At 15, things like withholding pocketmoney, grounding would be more effective.

ludermor

Im curious, you think its ok to smack kids, hit teenagers, beat adults. Do you draw a line anywhere? Old women? And i am asking honestly.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: ludermor on November 13, 2007, 03:57:39 PM
Im curious, you think its ok to smack kids, hit teenagers, beat adults. Do you draw a line anywhere? Old women? And i am asking honestly.
I don't think it's ok to beat adults, where did this come from? 
I shed no tears over a little thug.

Puckoon

Quote from: pintsofguinness on November 13, 2007, 03:33:24 PM
Pathetic pathetic pathetic; on the occassions I have to punish I teach him that what he did was wrong by not slapping him - if your happy to slap your nephews you work away; but to me you are a bully.
My nephew knows exactly why he got smacked and what exactly he was doing wrong and that if he had to stop when he was told he woudlnt' have got smacked.

sammy the difiniton from dictionary.com of bully is
QuoteA person who is habitually cruel or overbearing, especially to smaller or weaker people.
I think that speaks for itself.  I'd describe neither of my parents as bullies. 

Puckoon
Pints you've opened another can of worms I think your phrasing of the example and your language does you no favours; here's my two cents worth:
what do you mean?

I mean your example. I agree that children need physical discipline, but not a three year old who is being noisy on a plane. Say an 8 year old who stole a quid from your pocket, or lied to you (as their parent of course).

pintsofguinness

a 3 year old going mad on a plane (before it even takes off) does need discipline.

the Deel Rover

Quote from: pintsofguinness on November 13, 2007, 04:03:30 PM
a 3 year old going mad on a plane (before it even takes off) does need discipline.

what is going mad pog?
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

pintsofguinness

he might cry but he'll stop in a few minutes and it'll save everyone the whole plane journey of a screaming spoilt brat.

Quotewhat is going mad pog?
screaming and yapping and beating the face of it's mother over something it wants.

ludermor

Sorry i thought you did say it was ok to give a lad a beating ( i did say not kill) when you cant trust the police to do their jobs. If you didnt i apologise

Puckoon

Quote from: pintsofguinness on November 13, 2007, 04:08:09 PM
he might cry but he'll stop in a few minutes and it'll save everyone the whole plane journey of a screaming spoilt brat.

Quotewhat is going mad pog?
screaming and yapping and beating the face of it's mother over something it wants.
How about a little rum in the milk. That ought to do the trick!

pintsofguinness

Quote from: ludermor on November 13, 2007, 04:08:32 PM
Sorry i thought you did say it was ok to give a lad a beating ( i did say not kill) when you cant trust the police to do their jobs. If you didnt i apologise
I dont think it's ok as such, there's plenty wrong with it, but I have no sympathy.

QuoteHow about a little rum in the milk. That ought to do the trick!
Well I wouldnt agree with that but after watching this show one night where the parents would starve new born babies during the day and then give two feeds at night so they'd sleep all night - just so parents could have a night's sleep - today's selfish parents are capable of anything!

SammyG

Quote from: pintsofguinness on November 13, 2007, 04:08:09 PM
It's easy to see you don't have any kids. If kids have so little respect and don't know how to behave on a plane (or anywhere else), I'm not sure how hitting them is going to fix anything. Usually the sort of hyperactive, noisy disrespectful kids are the ones who's ma's beat them black and blue but wouldn't know how to be a parent if you paid them.

On a slightly different tack if an adult was being stroppy on a plane (say through being nervous or having a few too many sherries), would you deck them as well or is it just kids?