Cork players threaten strike over selectors issue

Started by darbyo, November 13, 2007, 10:41:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

Zulu - Billy is far from being a hero of mine - most of my heros come from a team that regularly stuff Cork - I am simply pointing out that he has been there, done that etc etc etc - who else has done the same ???

He got Cork to an AI final last year ?

Who got Cork there previously ??? Who else has won AI with Cork in the past 20 years ???

But all you can do is criticise him ?

I'm sure he has plenty of faults - we all do - but is there anything complimentary you would like to say ??

I'd say the day Cork beat Meath, there were plenty of people ( and maybe even yourself ) was singing Billy's praises and slapping him on the back ???  ;) ;)

Zulu

QuoteZulu - Billy is far from being a hero of mine

Sorry Orangeman I thought you told me before that he was. As for your defense of him and his managerial record, you are right he has enjoyed great success and has done invaluable work for football in Cork, but he is not the only one. And we all need to be able to give and take constructive criticism and IMO opinion he deserves a lot of criticism for his handling of the Cork football team this time round. Cork had a fairly soft run to this years AI and being in Munster they are generally guaranteed a last 12 spot, they also have a very talented squad and have been the most consistent county at U21 level the past 4 years. With all this he has failed to even be competitive with Kerry on the big days or develop many of these U21 players. Larry Tompkins also got Cork to an AI but not too many counties are beating a path to him when their IC manager's job comes up.

Mike Sheehy

Quotemost of my heros come from a team that regularly stuff Cork

..Its nice to know there are fans of Kerry in Tyrone.

orangeman

Could we start a mutual appreciation society Mike ?????????  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

orangeman

Zulu - why is it do you think that Tompkins isn't looking for the Cork job or why do other counties not put him in charge ??

Zulu

Well he wouldn't get the Cork job again even if he wanted it but he doesn't (as far as I know). As for him not being sought after by other counties well I suppose his location down in Cork means he is geographically outside the net of many counties. I know many of the Cork lads weren't too happy with him during his time in charge and he wouldn't be the best man manager I'd say. He also hasn't been involved in club management since he finished with Cork and I think you should prove yourself capable at that level first. If he took on club management for 3-5 years and was successful I'd say he could become popular again as he still has a high profile.

saffron sam2

From Eamon Sweeney's new year predictions in to-day's Sunday Independent*

JUNE

The Cork hurlers and Gaelic footballers embark on their seventh strike of the year.

"We're fed up being called Cork," reveals hurling spokesman, Patrick Fitzgerald. "That name doesn't give anyone an idea of how fantastic we are."

Football spokesman Gerald Fitzpatrick announces his backing for Fitzgerald: "We'd like to be called 'The Amazing Colossal Men' or 'Brilliantland' or something like that. It's the least we deserve."

The panel announces plans to suicide- bomb Pairc Ui Chaoimh if its demands aren't met. "I don't think we're being unreasonable here," the statement concludes.

* I don't buy or read the Sunday Independent, but I received a phone-call from Butterknife who thought it was very funny.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

stephenite

Quote from: Zulu on January 05, 2008, 03:38:00 PM
Which you say is backed up by a friend in Cork GAA circles, i.e you have not made one even semi-factual point in this debate so far but have only given your opinion that you don't believe the scenario I have painted.

You're own position is backed up only by friends closer to the heart of things down in Cork so you're in exactly the same position as me  ::)

You say

I'm not on the Cork county board, a member of either panel or a Cork club delegate, I can only give my opinion based on my knowledge of the scene down there and from what I'm told by friends closer to the heart of it.

Hypocrite

How does that make you know anymore than me what is going down there at the coalface? How much are you willing to wager that you know a bit more about what's going on down in Cork than I do - you did say it.

Quote from: TBT on January 05, 2008, 04:16:02 PM
Stephenite,
I'm from Cork and your ignorance on this matter is staggering.

You're quite right, on the last page I specifically asked for forgivness for this ignorance, however having looked into a bit more I don't see anything in your post that hasn't already been said re the big bad Frank - I've talked personally to some in Cork over the last few days as this has piqued my interest and I'll take their word at face value, see above

Zulu

Yet again another post from you which makes no relevant points, all you seem to say is that you don't believe me or now TBT but you do believe your friend, you don't make any coherent argument as to why you don't accept my argument you just say you don't believe it.

QuoteYou're own position is backed up only by friends closer to the heart of things down in Cork so you're in exactly the same position as me 

Firstly my opinion isn't only based on speaking with three friends but also with amongst others a former IC manager and numerous others that I met on my fairly frequent trips down there. I also played and lived in Cork for 7 years so I have some knowledge of what the general GAA scene is like there. Secondly unlike you I never accussed you of being full of shit, I gave my opinion on what has transpired and can accept that others may hold a different one it doesn' make either of us liars or shit talkers. That seems to be beyond your grasp.

QuoteHypocrite

How does that make you know anymore than me what is going down there at the coalface? How much are you willing to wager that you know a bit more about what's going on down in Cork than I do - you did say it.

How am I a hypocrite?

QuoteI've talked personally to some in Cork over the last few days as this has piqued my interest and I'll take their word at face value, see above

I think I'll use your favourite debating tool here..... ::) ::) ::) ::)

stephenite

Quote from: Zulu on January 06, 2008, 10:02:22 PM
Yet again another post from you which makes no relevant points, all you seem to say is that you don't believe me or now TBT but you do believe your friend, you don't make any coherent argument as to why you don't accept my argument you just say you don't believe it.

QuoteYou're own position is backed up only by friends closer to the heart of things down in Cork so you're in exactly the same position as me 

Firstly my opinion isn't only based on speaking with three friends but also with amongst others a former IC manager and numerous others that I met on my fairly frequent trips down there. I also played and lived in Cork for 7 years so I have some knowledge of what the general GAA scene is like there. Secondly unlike you I never accussed you of being full of shit, I gave my opinion on what has transpired and can accept that others may hold a different one it doesn' make either of us liars or shit talkers. That seems to be beyond your grasp.

QuoteHypocrite

How am I a hypocrite?

QuoteI've talked personally to some in Cork over the last few days as this has piqued my interest and I'll take their word at face value, see above

I think I'll use your favourite debating tool here..... ::) ::) ::) ::)

Good Lord you're struggling a bit here

1. My coherent argument is that I've talked to others who are involved down there - they are old friends, I'm more inclinced to believe them than others an internet discussions forum. I truly struggle to believe what you and TBT are saying and am suspicious of your motives in espousing a view that is certainly pro-the players in all of this. However that does not mean that you will prove to be the ones that are wrong in all of this. My information could turn out to be incorrect, however time will tell.

2. You're hypocrisy lies in the fact that you are willing question my knowledge of events, yet you yourself are displaced from things on the ground, all your information is coming at you second hand also. What makes you so sure that you're info is any less cosher than my own??
Also, what on earth does it matter that you also talk to a former IC manager? Is his opinion more valid than others? Is he a former Cork manager? Was he at the County Board meetings?

3. I never accused of you being full of shit?  Where was this said?
You're not going back to the "talking out your hole" comment again - I thought we had dealt with that? Are you simply trying to muddy the waters again or are you just confused? Do try to keep up.....

4. Do you actually think I am going to take you at face value when one of my closest friends is telling you otherwise - and you respond to this by

I think I'll use your favourite debating tool here.....  ::) ::) ::) ::)

please point out how this is my favourite debating tool (original) and why you find this unreasonable??

Zulu

Ok Stephenite, I'll work back through your post....

QuoteQuote
I think I'll use your favourite debating tool here.....    

please point out how this is my favourite debating tool (original) and why you find this unreasonable??

In all your posts to me on this topic you have used this  ::), it is childish and adds nothing to the debate. I know we disagree and that you may not accept some of my points you don't need to add that idiotic symbol.

QuoteDo you actually think I am going to take you at face value when one of my closest friends is telling you otherwise - and you respond to this by

No I don't.

QuoteI never accused of you being full of shit?  Where was this said?
You're not going back to the "talking out your hole" comment again - I thought we had dealt with that? Are you simply trying to muddy the waters again or are you just confused? Do try to keep up.....

In your first post you said I was 'talking through my hole', in your second you said I was 'talking rubbish or lying', this coming from a man who claims ignorance of the issue and is dependent on information (actually their opinion) on the situation.

QuoteYou're hypocrisy lies in the fact that you are willing question my knowledge of events, yet you yourself are displaced from things on the ground, all your information is coming at you second hand also. What makes you so sure that you're info is any less cosher than my own??
Also, what on earth does it matter that you also talk to a former IC manager? Is his opinion more valid than others? Is he a former Cork manager? Was he at the County Board meetings?

Like I said above I never questioned your knowledge of the situation, you admitted to ignorance of situation initially, I responded and you told me I was talking rubbish. It is you who is the hypocrite as I never questioned the validity of your opinion but you did mine. As with every discussion on this or any other board no poster is in possession of all the facts, we just give our opinions based on what we know and how we interpret the facts we do know.

QuoteMy coherent argument is that I've talked to others who are involved down there - they are old friends, I'm more inclinced to believe them than others an internet discussions forum. I truly struggle to believe what you and TBT are saying and am suspicious of your motives in espousing a view that is certainly pro-the players in all of this. However that does not mean that you will prove to be the ones that are wrong in all of this. My information could turn out to be incorrect, however time will tell.

That's not an argument that is you saying I believe one persons interpretation of events and not another. You haven't qualified this other than to say you know them but not me, that's fair enough but you haven't disected any of my points and argued why they can't be true. And what do you mean by being 'suspicious of our motives'? We are just GAA fans discussing GAA related topics on an internet forum, whatever is said here will have no bearing on what happens in Cork.

Oh and do me a favour leave out pathetic comments like 'Good Lord you're struggling a bit here' or 'Do try to keep up.....', we disagree on this issue but I do you the courtesy of not indulging in idiotic digs like these. I have a 9 year old sister if I want to indulge in that type of debate.

stephenite

Descending into farce, this one (and I accept my portion of the blame, only a small portion mind :P)

Two people arguing whose friends in Cork is more right appears to be the direction it's headed - I'll retire on this one and see how it plays out.

Zulu

I was thinking that myself Stephenite, so if you want to discuss the actual issue I've no problem doing so. For the record I feel the players were wrong to go with the nuclear option right from the start however nor do I accept that they should take this decision lying down.

stephenite

I'd agree with that - too militant too early. And for the record I don't believe that any manager should have selectors imposed on him by the County Board. However, I feel also that this is a very important issue with ramifications far beyond Leeside, if the County Board lose this battle it will be interesting to see what happens.

Frank Casey

There's a report on today's Evening Echo that Cork will be unable to fulfill their Waterford Crystal Tournament Hurling clash with Limerick IT on Thursday night. A suggestion that the under 21s would represent the county has been shot down. If there are no developments within the next 24 hours then it looks like we're getting to s**t hitting the fan time. While it may only be a secondary competition the Cork CB wont be too happy. It looks like the irresistible force meeting the immovable object with neither side inclined to back down.

Incidently Anthony Lynch did not travel with the Cork football squad for the holiday and has remained behind to be available for talks. A meeting was held last Thursday night but no solution is in sight
KERRY 3:7