DESPERATE - NEED HELP NOW!!!

Started by Gaoth Dobhair Abu, November 07, 2007, 12:10:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Have SpyBot, great, also have AVG, takes 45 mins for my computer to warm up each time I switch it on!
AVG needs to load up new updates and scan computer - I think, but Jezuz it's pissing me off!  >:(

Happy enough with Spybot, but can anyone tell me a good free online anti-virus software like AVG, which doesn't slow the computer up for 45 mins!!

All serious answers welcomed.  :-\
Tbc....

blast05

I have AVG. It makes the updates in a few seconds and the scan is able to continue in the background without impacting performance  ...... are you still using the Commodore 64  :P

Pangurban

There is a free version of Zone Alarm

Bogball XV

Are you sure AVG isn't performing a full scan each time you switch on, you have to change the settings.  Another problem is that anti-virus software works against each other, better with one only, maybe some mcafee or something is still there?  I'd get rid of spybot and keep avg, I update mine weekly, that's all it needs really - just check the scan settings.

Louth Exile

Quote from: blast05 on November 07, 2007, 12:15:15 AM
I have AVG. It makes the updates in a few seconds and the scan is able to continue in the background without impacting performance 

I'm same as that, no problems with it either (touch wood). I'm no techie, but it couldn't just be the AVG thats causing the problem
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

stew

is the man that can give you advice on this. PM him and ask him to tell you what he thinks.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

J70

Quote from: Pangurban on November 07, 2007, 12:15:38 AM
There is a free version of Zone Alarm

I thought only the firewall was free?

Main Street

Maybe this answer  makes sense
http://forum.grisoft.cz/freeforum/read.php?2,104872,104882

doing a google search  for AVG slow start up
gets 2,700,000 english pages  :)

I don't use anti virus software.

J70

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on November 07, 2007, 12:10:36 AM
Have SpyBot, great, also have AVG, takes 45 mins for my computer to warm up each time I switch it on!
AVG needs to load up new updates and scan computer - I think, but Jezuz it's pissing me off!  >:(

Happy enough with Spybot, but can anyone tell me a good free online anti-virus software like AVG, which doesn't slow the computer up for 45 mins!!

All serious answers welcomed.  :-\

45 minutes?!! :o

Check to see what programmes are loading on startup? Maybe there's a load of shit there that you don't need e.g. iTunes, Windows Messenger and other such stuff that you don't need every time you turn on the computer.

Look up how to check this on your version of Windows using "msconfig"

AVG and Spybot are rather poor in comparison to some of the better antivirus and spyware programmes BTW, particularly some of the subscription ones. You may have a load of stuff they missed messing up your computer too.

thejuice

I have a similar problem, I have AVG, i switch on my laptop then I walk away from it and do something else for about 15 mins and comeback and its ready to use. If i try load anything before or during AVG doing anything it simply wont do it. However thats not as bad as when I had Norten, which was worse. As far as Im aware Im only using one AV program, could there be one working in the background? I am always looking for ways to speed up my laptop. Would getting an external hard-drive make a difference, or does that just affect storage, which i dont have a problem with, still have about 50gb left.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Bensars

have you uninstalled your previous virus software.

Most machines have Norton and it a B*****d.  If not removed your whole system will be very slow.

I have AVG and no bother at all. Updates in about 20 seconds

Lecale2

Quote from: 5iveTimes on November 07, 2007, 11:01:16 AM
Have you considered removing some unneccessary programmes from your startup?

How would you do that?

Homer

AntiVir and ClamWin are two very good free Anti-Virus programs. I believe AntiVir is slightly better but it is more suited to broadband Internet connections.

But as 5iveTimes and J70 have said you are probably kicking off too many programs at start up.

Go to Start then Run and type 'msconfig' into the dialog box. This will give you a tabbed screen with various configurations. Go to the Startup tab and disable any programs that you don't use e.g Google Desktop, Old MSN programs etc.

stpauls

Quote from: thejuice on November 07, 2007, 10:47:23 AM
I have a similar problem, I have AVG, i switch on my laptop then I walk away from it and do something else for about 15 mins and comeback and its ready to use. If i try load anything before or during AVG doing anything it simply wont do it. However thats not as bad as when I had Norten, which was worse. As far as Im aware Im only using one AV program, could there be one working in the background? I am always looking for ways to speed up my laptop. Would getting an external hard-drive make a difference, or does that just affect storage, which i dont have a problem with, still have about 50gb left.

juice, you would probably be best getting some more memory to speed up your pc, as well as doing a disk cleanup and a de-frag. i have software called System Mechanic that does this automatically, and my pc now does not take the half an hour it used to when booting up!

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Thanks lads, loads of helpful info there, will check out whats being loaded at start up, not sure if there's any other anti-virus on the computer, thought it was all taken off, need to check that out as well.
Tbc....