penny for the puka/pookie

Started by Dinny Breen, October 31, 2007, 10:28:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinny Breen

Did anyone else have this tradition in the good old days? Been replaced by Trick or Treat these days   :'(
#newbridgeornowhere

AZOffaly

We did. But it was fading out when I was a young lad. We used to go around singing at doors. None of this lazy American 'Trick or Treat' sh1te.

Gnevin

What's a puka?

Looking forward to my curly cale tonight
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Dinny Breen

QuoteWhat's a puka?

Tut! Tut! Young Lads <shakes head>
#newbridgeornowhere

Gnevin

Quote from: Dinny Breen on October 31, 2007, 10:39:43 AM
QuoteWhat's a puka?

Tut! Tut! Young Lads <shakes head>
Is it like Penny for the Guy? Maybe you where all west brits when you when kids   ;D
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

armaghniac

QuoteIs it like Penny for the Guy? Maybe you where all west brits when you when kids

Obviously you are a West Brit, or a member of their local branch the Jackeens, when you are suggesting this and haven't a clue about the Irish Halloween. It's not all about kn**ker drinking at bonfires.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Dinny Breen

Gnevin, you're looking for a clip on the ear. A Púca is a fairy, a shape shifter. I don't think they were evil but you never know with the Fairies....
#newbridgeornowhere

supersarsfields

Does many on here get the auld Purdy pudding at Halloween. Used to love it with a bit lump of butter!!

Gnevin

Quote from: armaghniac on October 31, 2007, 11:17:49 AM
QuoteIs it like Penny for the Guy? Maybe you where all west brits when you when kids

Obviously you are a West Brit, or a member of their local branch the Jackeens, when you are suggesting this and haven't a clue about the Irish Halloween. It's not all about kn**ker drinking at bonfires.
Good news armaghniac , they've found a donor your sense of humour transplant is ready.You will soon be able to recognise humour again,and if it goes well maybe even laugh.  ; ::)
;D

Gnevin

Quote from: Dinny Breen on October 31, 2007, 11:19:09 AM
Gnevin, you're looking for a clip on the ear. A Púca is a fairy, a shape shifter. I don't think they were evil but you never know with the Fairies....
Awe i see , so Culchies kids where afraid of the wee people , Us up in the big smoke where grand for the fairies   ;D We asked people to help the Halloween party

his holiness nb

We called it "mumming" maybe a north county Dublin thing.
"Halloween is coming and the goose is getting fat, etc etc etc"
Ask me holy bollix

Gnevin

Quote from: his holiness nb on October 31, 2007, 12:14:44 PM
Is that not a Christmas song?

his holiness nb

Quote from: Gnevin on October 31, 2007, 12:17:07 PM
Quote from: his holiness nb on October 31, 2007, 12:14:44 PM
Is that not a Christmas song?

yeah but it was changed to halloween for the "mumming".

Does nobody else remember this??
I heard before it was particular to my home town.
Ask me holy bollix

Croí na hÉireann

Used to as well. More or less consisted of wearing old overalls, with a blanket thrown across the shoulder, some type of head gear, mask from Quinnsworth and played a couple of tunes on the tin whistle. Got a bit tiresome after a few houses but thinking back now the neighbourhood must have been really deprived of entertainment or else they were brilliant at feigning interest as u always got a request for another one... Like the Wren boys, it's with O'Leary...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Louth Exile

Quote from: Dinny Breen on October 31, 2007, 10:28:48 AM
Did anyone else have this tradition in the good old days? Been replaced by Trick or Treat these days   :'(

You sound just like your fellow Kildare man 'Ray Darcy'
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com