20 moments that shook Irish sport

Started by GalwayBayBoy, October 29, 2007, 03:45:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Galwaybhoy

Maybe not as straight forward because of what happened before that, but Keane changed his mind and wasnt going to go home, he decided to stay and play despite not liking Mick McCarthy, but that wasnt good enough for him and he ended up sending him home.

Waiting for Stew to make an appearance and go on his usual anti Keane rant...

magpie seanie

QuoteMagpie, people are entitled to an opinion.

Absolutely. They are not however entitled to misrepresent the facts to support that opinion.

QuoteYour either Roy Keanes love child or maybe your Eammon Dunphy  himself

Laoislad - go back to talking about what you'd like to do to Paul Daniels missus. You cope better at that level.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: magpie seanie on October 30, 2007, 05:49:04 PM
QuoteMagpie, people are entitled to an opinion.

Absolutely. They are not however entitled to misrepresent the facts to support that opinion.

QuoteYour either Roy Keanes love child or maybe your Eammon Dunphy  himself

Laoislad - go back to talking about what you'd like to do to Paul Daniels missus. You cope better at that level.

Now i know why you like Keane so much you have the same arrogant I'm right your wrong end of story attitude that he has.
As for your attack on the level of my intelligence...Wow I'm scarred for life that a know it all such as your self has such a low opinion of me....that hurts it really does  ::)
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Owenmoresider

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on October 30, 2007, 02:33:05 PM
Another quote around Saipan that normally gets thrown around by the McCarthyites (not seen here today but was uttered by that tool Peter Byrne last night) is that "Keane let us (as in the Irish nation) down.  >:( Gets me everytime. Didn't let me down, didn't let at least half the country down at the time, and on reflection I'd estimate that now he didn't let three quarters of the country down.
Byrne uttered a lot of shite last night. The swipe at the GAA "coming of age" was typical of the patronising "welcome to modern Ireland lads" attitude which the media had on the Rule 42 issue, as if it was the GAA that couldn't sort its own infrastructural mess out, and getting others to do the heavy lifting. The tool at Congress who suggested that you wouldn't leave your neighbour out if they needed help, didn't see fit to expand on the analogy strangely enough, because it was an open goal to shoot that logic down. As for Kelly -  >:( >:( >:(

Re Shamrock Rovers - in fairness they were/are Ireland's most successful club, and dominantat that time, and selling their ground was a controversial decision, considering that they weren't developing a new one at the time. The decline of Rovers as a force I suppose set in from that time on, culiminating in relegation. And they're still homeless!

Oh and Keane was right too.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on October 30, 2007, 05:41:30 PM
Quote from: Galwaybhoy on October 30, 2007, 05:39:10 PM
Quote from: The Real Laoislad on October 30, 2007, 05:18:58 PM
Quote from: hectorsheroes on October 30, 2007, 05:17:14 PM
Dean Kiely put it best when he said that everybody knew they didn't get on, why couldn't they just set it aside for 3 f***** weeks get on with it and then write their books about it

Exactly...But try telling that to those who worship at the Church of Keano

And Keane did.  He agreed to come back and play but by that point McCarthy wanted to make an example of him and SENT him home.  Only for that Keane would have played on the team.

I think everyone knows it wasn't as straight forward as that.

Hold on, but ur just after saying that it was more or less relatively straightforward, he should have held his breath for 3 weeks before breathing out. The reality is that Keane had been holding his breath for four years. Why did he have to go through the media to have the players sitting in business class instead of the bigwigs etc? Saipan was the straw that broke the camels back, it was a pity about the timing alright but it was always going to be a matter of when, not if.

Quote from: Owenmoresider on October 30, 2007, 06:12:45 PM
Another quote around Saipan that normally gets thrown around by the McCarthyites (not seen here today but was uttered by that tool Peter Byrne last night) is that "Keane let us (as in the Irish nation) down.  >:( Gets me everytime. Didn't let me down, didn't let at least half the country down at the time, and on reflection I'd estimate that now he didn't let three quarters of the country down.
Byrne uttered a lot of shite last night. The swipe at the GAA "coming of age" was typical of the patronising "welcome to modern Ireland lads" attitude which the media had on the Rule 42 issue, as if it was the GAA that couldn't sort its own infrastructural mess out, and getting others to do the heavy lifting.

That shite gets on my wick just as much. The GAA came of age in Hayes Hotel in 1884, not at an annual congress in 2006. And while I'm at it why couldn't the IRFU/FAI builld their new stadium stand by stand, as the GAA had to do with the new Croke Park??? It'd serve Byrne and his likes better if they asked inquisitive questions like that than talking out their hosepipe...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Pietas

I have to say I agree with both of the above.  Also, everything you ever needed to know about the Irish soccer fraternity was encapsulated by Louis Kilcoyne last night.  He spoke of all the people who attended meetings of Keep Rovers at Milltown (KRAM) who never bothered their heads actually attending a match!.
In Roman mythology, Pietas was the goddess of duty to one's state, gods and family.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on October 30, 2007, 06:31:40 PM
Quote from: The Real Laoislad on October 30, 2007, 05:41:30 PM
Quote from: Galwaybhoy on October 30, 2007, 05:39:10 PM
Quote from: The Real Laoislad on October 30, 2007, 05:18:58 PM
Quote from: hectorsheroes on October 30, 2007, 05:17:14 PM
Dean Kiely put it best when he said that everybody knew they didn't get on, why couldn't they just set it aside for 3 f***** weeks get on with it and then write their books about it

Exactly...But try telling that to those who worship at the Church of Keano

And Keane did.  He agreed to come back and play but by that point McCarthy wanted to make an example of him and SENT him home.  Only for that Keane would have played on the team.

I think everyone knows it wasn't as straight forward as that.

Hold on, but ur just after saying that it was more or less relatively straightforward, he should have held his breath for 3 weeks before breathing out. The reality is that Keane had been holding his breath for four years. Why did he have to go through the media to have the players sitting in business class instead of the bigwigs etc? Saipan was the straw that broke the camels back, it was a pity about the timing alright but it was always going to be a matter of when, not if.

I agree the FAI was and is fucked up and Keane was 100% right in his views and all that,I just think and will always think he should have held on for another 3-4 weeks and played for his country in the World Cup,Truth is we needed him more than he needed us and in the end he put himself before his country..
Anyway this could go on forever maybe we should all just agree to disagree?

You'll Never Walk Alone.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Pietas on October 30, 2007, 06:34:20 PMAlso, everything you ever needed to know about the Irish soccer fraternity was encapsulated by Louis Kilcoyne last night.  He spoke of all the people who attended meetings of Keep Rovers at Milltown (KRAM) who never bothered their heads actually attending a match!.

That was a laugh out loud moment for me, it was this type of mentality that the chairman of TD was referring to when he was wondering who'd be the last ones standing...  :D U couldn't make it up, more people trying to keep rovers (small r) at Milltown that was actually going to their games...  :D :D :D

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on October 30, 2007, 06:38:54 PMI agree the FAI was and is fucked up and Keane was 100% right in his views and all that,I just think and will always think he should have held on for another 3-4 weeks and played for his country in the World Cup,Truth is we needed him more than he needed us and in the end he put himself before his country..

That wasn't coming across in ur posts LL, could be ur fault, could be mine. I think most people would have been delighted if he could have kept the show on the road for another few weeks but there's only so many calamities u can except before enough is enough. U may say he put himself before his country, I say he put his sanity before accepting anymore balls ups. Did all the lads who were out drinking till all hours put themselves before their country??? Did the keepers who were too tired to stand in goals for a five aside put themselves before their country??? No, it's a facile argument!!! Anyways I do agree that it could go on forever...  :P
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

deiseach

Personally one of my proudest days as an Irishman was the day Keane made his stand/rant (delete as appropiate).

Really?

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on October 30, 2007, 06:52:17 PM

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on October 30, 2007, 06:38:54 PMI agree the FAI was and is fucked up and Keane was 100% right in his views and all that,I just think and will always think he should have held on for another 3-4 weeks and played for his country in the World Cup,Truth is we needed him more than he needed us and in the end he put himself before his country..

That wasn't coming across in ur posts LL, could be ur fault, could be mine
. I think most people would have been delighted if he could have kept the show on the road for another few weeks but there's only so many calamities u can except before enough is enough. U may say he put himself before his country, I say he put his sanity before accepting anymore balls ups. Did all the lads who were out drinking till all hours put themselves before their country??? Did the keepers who were too tired to stand in goals for a five aside put themselves before their country??? No, it's a facile argument!!! Anyways I do agree that it could go on forever...  :P

I think you'll see if you read my posts from the start i mentioned a few times that i thought  Keane was right in what he was saying just not in the way he conducted himself
..Anyways this will be debated till the end of time in every pub across Ireland and beyond..Fact is it happend and it's now in the past.Keane and Quinn are working together and Keane and McCarthy are back talking and the world is still revolving...
You'll Never Walk Alone.

magickingdom

Personally one of my proudest days as an Irishman was the day Keane made his stand/rant (delete as appropiate).

11 games 9 points -8 goals. whose fault is it this time roy? hes a legend alright ;D

stew

Roy let his country down when we needed him the most.

Roy made racist comments about the then Irish manager and those comments caused division among the players and coaching staff.

The players didnt want him to play based on the ballax that came out of his mouth.

Keane had every right to condemn the mickey mouse setup in Saipan and the ineptitude of the FAI but he should have waited until Irelands World Cup was over instead of dividing the countries fan base who ended up picking sides.

I cannot believe I am going to say this but Keane is the man who should be in charge of Ireland, Stephen Ireland wouldnt last five minutes in Keanes world and the mediocrity that they current squad  are doling out would never happen under Keane.

There you go galwaybhoy, i didnt let you down. :)
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

stew

Quote from: magpie seanie on October 30, 2007, 11:46:24 AM
Bernard Dunne made a tool of himself on that programme last night. Keane was 100% right and over time this is dawning on more and more folk. You'll always have the few flat earthers though who still think "he walked out on his country" when he was sent home by that bastion of mediocrity Mick McCarthy.

Seanie are you a United supporter?????

Seanie, where Keanes comments on McCarthy out of order?

Would it not have been better to sit down with the entire squad and managers and aired their grievences that way instead of him going out on a limb on his own, this to me smacked of prima donna behaviour.

McCarthy was in charge of the squad when they qualified was he not?

Keane was not 100% right, to call his manager the names he did at the time he did was 100% wrong.

Keane had very valid points and concerns, how he chose to act on those concerns was nothing short of a disgrace and he deserved the stick he got about the way he handled the situation.

McCarthy played for Ireland, he played well for Ireland although he was not much of a player at that level but he got the job done and played with heart and passion.

I have yet to meet a United fan that will admit that Keane did anything wrong in Saipan and I have yet to meet a liverpool fan that didnt give him stick over what happened. I was a united fan back in the day and supported them since I was a kid and I think Keane was dead right  in the issues he brought up and dead wrong in the forum he chose to air his concerns and no manager should ever be subjected to verbal abuse from a player.

All that said, I have moved on and I would love to see Keane given an opportunity to manage his Country, I really think he could do great things for Ireland.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

stephenite

Groan *bangs head on table*

Not the f**king Saipan debate, AGAIN :P

thewobbler

Even if Keane was justified in having a problem with the facilities, to position himself as he did in Saipan was wrong in so many ways.

- He let himself down as a professional sportsman, denying himself the opportunity to compete at the highest level in his sport.
- He let himself down as a captain, leaving behind 22 players who relied on him for leadership, inspiration and guidance.
- He let himself down as an ambassador for his country, by refusing to obey the few simple conditions required to represent his country.
- He let himself down as a role model, by first of all showing such serious insubordination, then by refusing to accept his guilt.
- He let himself down as a person, by spinning a long-running adminstration problem into a personal issue.

And before any of you one-eyed cnuts start banging on about how he didn't choose to go home, but was sent home, I ask you this - what would Roy Keane the manager do in such a situation. This was one of those rare occasions when a manager is left with no choice in the matter.